Are We As Adults Creating A Society Of Kittys?

I've recently had this conversation with my elderly mother and I believe that we as a society are failing to set our children on a proper course. It used to be that if you weren't attending college at eighteen then you sure as hell should be out supporting yourself. Now we aren't doing them any favors by coddling them and/or making laws to allow them to stay on their parents health insurance plans until they are twenty-six. I realize that there may be instances where this makes sense, but it represents a softening of our younger generation.

Lawmakers in Utah are considering a "Free Range Law" that would counter the kitty society and protect parents from charges for allowing their children to learn to be somewhat self sufficient. I give them credit but wonder why we've become so pussified that a law nedds to be passed for this.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/01/24/utah-lawmakers-pass-bill-legalizing-free-range-parenting/

Image may contain: 1 person, text

Interesting topic. 

I think things are going better than in the past. Kids are not brutalized as much. Hitting, spanking and general abuse of children has declined. http://healthland.time.com/2010/08/24/is-child-abuse-on-the-decline/ The continued reduction of crime and violence in society is a reflection of how much better children are being treated. 

Teachers can get arrested now for what use to pass as discipline. 

This is also the least racist and hateful generation coming up as that is less and less a family value to teach racism. 

Are children more dependent now? If you drive down the 190 in South Buffalo look at the older houses there and you will see addition after addition has been added to the rear of the houses because, as my history professor told me, the younger generation just expanded instead of moved out. That was the 30's though with a housing shortage. But poverty kept a lot of families together, really lose together. That's all 

38 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Start them young and then maybe when they become an adult age-wise they will actually be an adult.

chores.jpg

That 9-11 year old list?  That's !@#$ing dangerous.  Cleaning toilets requires using chemicals.  Taking trash out and walking the dog means going near the street.  Mopping floors makes them sipppery.  And cutting food and the grass...sharp blades, very dangerous.  Maybe vacuuming is okay, but that involves using electricity, so I wouldn't guarantee it.

That's a list intended to kill kids before they grow up.

Just now, DC Tom said:

That 9-11 year old list?  That's !@#$ing dangerous.  Cleaning toilets requires using chemicals.  Taking trash out and walking the dog means going near the street.  Mopping floors makes them sipppery.  And cutting food and the grass...sharp blades, very dangerous.  Maybe vacuuming is okay, but that involves using electricity, so I wouldn't guarantee it.

not-sure-if-serious-or-sarcasm.jpg

Just now, joesixpack said:

:lol:

Well, there was that thread over the weekend on the main board.

Even then, I couldn't make a valid point without being sarcastic.

I can't get three words into a post on the main board without wanting to berate some idiot who thinks all we have to do is draft a QB and surround him with bubble wrap and we'll win a Superbowl.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Even then, I couldn't make a valid point without being sarcastic.

I can't get three words into a post on the main board without wanting to berate some idiot who thinks all we have to do is draft a QB and surround him with bubble wrap and we'll win a Superbowl.

Knock off the football talk here at PPP. The last thing I want is for my thread to get bumped up to TSW and I have to deal with the !@#$ing nonsensical posters up there.

6 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Knock off the football talk here at PPP. The last thing I want is for my thread to get bumped up to TSW and I have to deal with the !@#$ing nonsensical posters up there.

But we haven't had a decent QB since Clinton was in office.

(Yes, that one's for Gary.)

19 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I'm all for Darwinism. Weed out the weak and stupid before they procreate.

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

Start them young and then maybe when they become an adult age-wise they will actually be an adult.

chores.jpg

Hey, can you please add "Lecture adults about gun control, and impose arbitrary limits on the practice of individual's natural rights" to 12+ please?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

Seems like these kids make a lot more sense than a lot of you right wingers. 

You should probably rethink your ideology if high school teenagers make you think they have more sense than adults who actually live in the real world. 

This is is their first experience of the real world. Violence, in particular  and so far they are not taking it well. 

I’ve met some kids who are pretty impressive in terms of personal discipline, sense of themselves, sense of the world,…

I’ve also met a few where you’d make sure to put the tidepods away in a safe place.

Seems to me that the proportion of dipschidtt to normal to exceptional is about the same as for my generation.   And for my parents’ generation.  And probably going back all through history.  The whole shake your fist and shout “these kids today…!” is a tired cliché.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

Seems like these kids make a lot more sense than a lot of you right wingers. 

Gator, you ignorant slut. Don't try to hijack this thread and make it right vs. left. It is a subject that people of all persuasions might be able to agree on.

• Like (+1) 1