Report: Darnold is the only QB Giants would take at 2

The Giants could get a king's ransom for that 2nd pick. If they keep it and use it on Barkley, they are way over-valuing him IMO. What seems more likely if they stay at Two is they take whichever QB is left after Cleveland's pick, Darnold or Rosen. I think then the Browns hold on to the 4th and take Chubb/Barkley. 

23 minutes ago, 1billsfan said:

Me too, I just don't see the Giants (with Darnold gone) or Browns passing on drafting either Chubb or Barkley, and it's obvious they'll both be in that situation.

Browns: Darnold

Giants: Barkley or Chubb

Jets: Allen, Mayfield or Rosen

Browns: Barkley or Chubb

Broncos: ?

Colts: ?

Things seem to be shaking out ok for the Bills, as far as having options to get a QB goes.

Honestly I don't see Gettleman or Dorsey passing up the picks they would be offered TO take a RB.  The Panthers have taken RBs "high" with Stewart & McCaffery, but turning down a "QB" trade package at 2 to take a RB, yeesh.  If they take a player I'd have to believe it's Chubb, with pass rushers being valued right behind QBs in the pecking order.  As to the Browns, I really can't see them turning down the package, their RBs aren't bad and the guys running the team have just never taken a RB anywhere remotely near that level.  Assuming Chubb is gone their BPA is Barkley / Nelson (guard is easily their best position) or a DB, who a comparable one could be available at 12.

Assuming the Giants are off the table I'd have to see the trade points being Cleveland at 4 (to jump Denver) or Indy at 6 (if there's one QB left).  If Denver passes on QB, there's certainly a case to let 2 of Rosen / Allen / Baker (whoever is left after Jets) slide down the board closer to 12, but you also run the risk of Arizona or someone else jumping up and still sitting behind Miami.

12 minutes ago, yungmack said:

The Giants could get a king's ransom for that 2nd pick. If they keep it and use it on Barkley, they are way over-valuing him IMO. What seems more likely if they stay at Two is they take whichever QB is left after Cleveland's pick, Darnold or Rosen. I think then the Browns hold on to the 4th and take Chubb/Barkley. 

Right.  It's one thing to decide you aren't taking a QB.  It's something else to turn down the picks you'll get offered from someone who does want a QB.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

Smoke.  

1. They want to make sure the Browns don't take Mayfield.  

2. They believe bigger offers will start coming in for #2....but still won't trade out of top 6 maybe 7.

You want the 2nd pick you're going to need to trade with Indy or TB first and I think it's possible to then move up to 2.  

39 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I am seriously wondering if the Bills are giving serious consideration to Jackson at 12 or Rudolph at 22.  The only hope would be for Cleveland to trade out #4. 

I think Jackson is #3 on their board and if they can't get one of their top 2, they will take him. My best guess is they love Darnold. They like either Rosen or Allen, not both. #3 is Jackson. 

My completely made up Bills Board: 

1. Darnold

2. Rosen or Allen...have no idea which one but guessing they love one and not the other

3. Jackson

Being at 12 puts them in striking distance which allows them to trade up if their guy (Rosen or Allen either gets to 4, or is passed on by the Broncos). If quarterbacks go 1,2,3 and their guy is gone, then they can draft Jackson. I don't love him at 12 or 22 really, but 22 wouldn't bother me too much. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

16 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Giants are traditionally a well run organization. Should it concern us that they don't see value in drafting Rosen and grooming him under Eli for a year or two?

I've read and heard that they like Davis Webb a lot, and the only QB that they would deem worthy of drafting #2 is Darnold.

So the Giants would have enough concerns about the other QBs (which there clearly are in Rosen, Allen and Mayfield) to move ahead with the QB they know already.

Edited by 1billsfan

49 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I am seriously wondering if the Bills are giving serious consideration to Jackson at 12 or Rudolph at 22.  The only hope would be for Cleveland to trade out #4. 

I have said it before. I believe the Bills traded to 12 for Jackson, which I am cool with. I think Jackson is going to be very good. 

15 minutes ago, 1billsfan said:

I've read and heard that they like Davis Webb a lot, and the only QB that they would worthy of drafting #2 is Darnold.

So the Giants would have enough concerns about the other QBs (which there clearly are in Rosen, Allen and Mayfield) to move ahead with the QB they know already.

That and the owners are committed to Eli, feel bad about the benching last year and aren't going to draft his immediate replacement.

10 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Being at 12 puts them in striking distance which allows them to trade up if their guy (Rosen or Allen either gets to 4, or is passed on by the Broncos). If quarterbacks go 1,2,3 and their guy is gone, then they can draft Jackson. I don't love him at 12 or 22 really, but 22 wouldn't bother me too much. 

The Bills drafting Jackson at #12 or sooner is definitely a real possibility, for the simple fact that they passed on drafting either Watson or Mohomes last year. The franchise's decision to do that forces them into taking a QB one way or another. Because if they don't, they'll forever be questioned on what their thinking was not drafting Watson or Mahomes, and then not drafting one this year. They need a simple answer to the question of who their franchise QB is going to be. So their franchise QB will be either Allen, Mayfield, Rosen or Jackson. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, 1billsfan said:

The Bills drafting Jackson at #12 or sooner is definitely a real possibility, for the simple fact that they passed on drafting either Watson or Mohomes last year. The franchise's decision to do that forces them into taking a QB one way or another. Because if they don't, they'll forever be questioned on what their thinking was not drafting Watson or Mahomes, and then not drafting one this year. They need a simple answer to the question of who their franchise QB is going to be. So their franchise QB will be either Allen, Mayfield, Rosen or Jackson. 

Boy I hope they don't feel forced to do anything. But you are probably right that they are going to get a quarterback here no matter what. 

15 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

That and the owners are committed to Eli, feel bad about the benching last year and aren't going to draft his immediate replacement.

Agreed. You don't use the #2 pick on a quarterback when you already have one and you and he expect him to play for 2-3 more years. I know people will say Aaron Rodgers blah blah, but the dude fell in their lap late in the first round. This situation is totally different and kind of unprecedented. I can't remember a time in which a team had a true franchise quarterback and drafted his replacement in the top five of a draft. You would be effectively folding on the Manning era, and that makes no sense to me.  

If the Giants don't use the pick to trade down or to get help for Manning in the form of Barkley, Nelson, or even Chubb, they are making a poor decision imo. With their 3-4 switch and holes on their roster, they should trade down. 

24 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Agreed. You don't use the #2 pick on a quarterback when you already have one and you and he expect him to play for 2-3 more years. I know people will say Aaron Rodgers blah blah, but the dude fell in their lap late in the first round. This situation is totally different and kind of unprecedented. I can't remember a time in which a team had a true franchise quarterback and drafted his replacement in the top five of a draft. You would be effectively folding on the Manning era, and that makes no sense to me.  

If the Giants don't use the pick to trade down or to get help for Manning in the form of Barkley, Nelson, or even Chubb, they are making a poor decision imo. With their 3-4 switch and holes on their roster, they should trade down. 

To me, this is one of the reasons they don't trade down.  They are switching to a 34.  You run to the podium with Chubb's name on the card.  He's the best pass rusher in the draft and a top 3 player in the draft, and coupling him with Vernon gives them the ideal pass rush threats in a 3-4 personnel front.  Who would they get later that even comes close?  Nobody. 

The other way I look at the Giants is by asking what's going to be the quickest way for them to compete with Manning at the helm?  They will need to be able to run the football, which they haven't done well in at least the last three seasons.  Imagine that, a franchise QB who can't get anywhere because they have a lousy rushing attack and a mediocre offensive line.  So you take Barkley and then pick up a lineman in round 2.  Whether you take Barkley at 2, or you leverage the Jets for an extra pick and take him at 3 you take him.  If Barkley is an Elliot type back you don't pass that up, given your situation.  People can say QB rah rah, Dak Prescott yada yada, but if people couldn't tell the difference in the Cowboys offense this year without Zeke, then they are just are choosing to ignore it.  And if Barkley can bring that type of talent and offensive threat to the Giants it would be asinine to pass on it.

Given what I've seen of Gettleman, he likes trench players and backs.  Given his situation with the Giants, that's exactly what they need barring that one pass rusher.  If I'm them I take Chubb or Barkley no hesitation.  This is only complicated if people make it that way.  I'm all for the "keep it simple dummy" slogan.  The biggest reason I would do this if I'm Gettleman is that my first thought is what do I need to win this division?  I could care less that my former buddy has a team full of fans that want me to trade #2 away just because we are friends and they are desperate for a QB.  That's not my situation.  He's a great guy and friend, he'll figure something out.  I have to think about how to win this division.  One of the quickest ways to get back on track is pass rush and running game and there is no one remotely close to Chubb or Barkley at their respective positions in this draft.  Why would Gettleman take a deal from anyone that's going to move him so far away from these players?  It could happen, I just don't see it.

Edited by NewEraBills
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I mean, I know it’s not all on Eli but the team is picking top five. How good could the quarterback really be? 

He needs a good team around him, one pick isn’t going to do it and he’s not going to be around much longer. 

If you’re smart you take this opportunity to get his replacement. Chances like this don’t come around this often. Good qbs, #2 pick. You pull the trigger. Especially since they know a team only goes as far as the qb allows. 

As a Bills fan I hope this isn’t the case, but if I was in charge it’s exactly what I’d do. 

24 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

To me, this is one of the reasons they don't trade down.  They are switching to a 34.  You run to the podium with Chubb's name on the card.  He's the best pass rusher in the draft and a top 3 player in the draft, and coupling him with Vernon gives them the ideal pass rush threats in a 3-4 personnel front.  Who would they get later that even comes close?  Nobody. 

The other way I look at the Giants is by asking what's going to be the quickest way for them to compete with Manning at the helm?  They will need to be able to run the football, which they haven't done well in at least the last three seasons.  Imagine that, a franchise QB who can't get anywhere because they have a lousy rushing attack and a mediocre offensive line.  So you take Barkley and then pick up a lineman in round 2.  Whether you take Barkley at 2, or you leverage the Jets for an extra pick and take him at 3 you take him.  If Barkley is an Elliot type back you don't pass that up, given your situation.  People can say QB rah rah, Dak Prescott yada yada, but if people couldn't tell the difference in the Cowboys offense this year without Zeke, then they are just are choosing to ignore it.  And if Barkley can bring that type of talent and offensive threat to the Giants it would be asinine to pass on it.

Given what I've seen of Gettleman, he likes trench players and backs.  Given his situation with the Giants, that's exactly what they need barring that one pass rusher.  If I'm them I take Chubb or Barkley no hesitation.  This is only complicated if people make it that way.  I'm all for the "keep it simple dummy" slogan.  The biggest reason I would do this if I'm Gettleman is that my first thought is what do I need to win this division?  I could care less that my former buddy has a team full of fans that want me to trade #2 away just because we are friends and they are desperate for a QB.  That's not my situation.  He's a great guy and friend, he'll figure something out.  I have to think about how to win this division.  One of the quickest ways to get back on track is pass rush and running game and there is no one remotely close to Chubb or Barkley at their respective positions in this draft.  Why would Gettleman take a deal from anyone that's going to move him so far away from these players?  It could happen, I just don't see it.

Great points all the way around. It makes sense for him to stay put and take 1 of the blue chippers in Chubb or Barkley. I suppose the way I see it, he could get Davenport at 12, LVE at 22 to play inside with Ogeltree, and one those other backs Michel, Chubb or whomever in the second round, plus he would have one of our second rounders as well. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown

1 minute ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I mean, I know it’s not all on Eli but the team is picking top five. How good could the quarterback really be? 

He needs a good team around him, one pick isn’t going to do it and he’s not going to be around much longer. 

If you’re smart you take this opportunity to get his replacement. Chances like this don’t come around this often. Good qbs, #2 pick. You pull the trigger. Especially since they know a team only goes as far as the qb allows. 

As a Bills fan I hope this isn’t the case, but if I was in charge it’s exactly what I’d do. 

Another thing I look at with the Giants is they just took Webb in the 3rd round last year.  I think it would be fair to see what you have in him before pulling the plug.  I just look at Chubb and or Barkley and I see their offense or defense instantly better.  And as a GM that's all you can ask for.  How do we get instantly better?  Barkley will do that for their offense.  Chubb will do that for their defense.  I don't think there is anyone in the teens that brings that type of instant contribution to their team.  If Darnold is there I certainly think they'll take him, but if he's not I think Gettleman will keep it simple and just make the pick.