As of Now, Do You Have Your Own Perfect Spot In the Draft?

sven233

Some may want to stay at 12.  Some may want to do whatever it takes to get to 1 or 2.  Some may want to move up a couple spots, but not too high.  With everything that has gone down over the last several days with the Jets trade, maybe the Giants trade of JPP, the presumed consensus that Darnold will indeed be going first overall, etc. the draft is shaping up in a way that we have a pretty good idea of where things are headed at this point.

For me, it has become clear that getting to 2 is going to be extremely difficult, if not impossible at this point.  The Giants, to me anyway, look like they really like a guy and might not move for anything at this point, and, after thinking about it for a while, I'm fine with it.  After the Jets made their way to 3, I was mad that it wasn't us.  But as of now, with the way things are starting to take shape at the top of the draft, I'm not that upset with it anymore. 

Right now, my biggest question marks are what the Broncos are thinking at 5 and what move, if any, the Cards and Dolphins might be planning if they are gunning for a QB.

With all of that laid out, I think I have settled on #4 being my perfect spot to get to and here's why.

I believe the Giants are wanting to stay at 2 and select a non-QB player.  Obviously, that's not ideal for some that are set on moving up to 2, but I have made up my mind that i don't need to get there anymore.  From the very beginning, I have been high on 3 guys....Darnold, Rosen, and Mayfield.  My entire goal for this off season was to come out of the draft with 1 of those 3.  With all the recent developments, as it sits right now, 2 of those guys are locks for the top 3 (unless by some miracle the Jets or Browns love Allen).

This is why #4 is the perfect pick for me at this point and I want to get there not not even bother trying to get higher.   Darnold goes 1.  The Giants take a non-QB at 2.  The Jets take Rosen/Mayfield/Allen at 3, and then I sit at 4 and take either Rosen or Mayfield and be ABSOLUTELY THRILLED with the pick.  If I'm at 4, I am guaranteed 1 of the guys I love (providing the Giants don't go QB as I expect that they won't) and by getting to 4 now, you block the Broncos, Dolphins, and Cardinals from trying something funny and taking that spot.  Granted, it is completely possible the Broncos aren't taking a QB anyway and the Dolphins and Cards are in no hurry to move up.  But I don't know that, so to be safe, I want to take care of my own future and just trade to 4 to take any risk of someone jumping you out of the equation.  I have Rosen and Mayfield pretty much dead even on my board, so to come away with one of them at 4, would be a huge win.

Obviously, the Bills may like 1 guy more than the rest, but I can make it work with any one of Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield.  So, right now, the perfect spot on the board for me is #4 and, while we will have to trade up to get there, conceivably, the price to get there should be a bit less than getting to 2 which is also a bonus.

So, yeah.....my sweet spot in the draft is 4 and I am ready to get there and stay.  Where is your spot on the board?  Do you have your mind made up at this point? 

trade up to 3.  oh wait...

but seriously, not sure how they let the Jets beat them to the punch.  12, 22, 53, 65, next year's 2nd is more than what the Jets offered and sounds agreeable to get the 2nd QB, a QB that in any other year would be #1.

• Like (+1) 3

I don’t want A quarterback. I want THE quarterback. It all depends on who they like and where they think they can get him. In other words, I’d LOVE to be at #1 four the right guy.....but I have no idea what is possible or where we need to be. Four sounds most likely, but what do I know? 

5 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

but seriously, not sure how they let the Jets beat them to the punch.  12, 22, 53, 65, next year's 2nd is more than what the Jets offered and sounds agreeable to get the 2nd QB, a QB that in any other year would be #1.

I'm guessing the Colts feel they can still grab their targeted player at #6 instead of #12.

3 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

That just makes me think they are favoring a guy they think will last beyond #3. It’s a game of high stakes poker. Very high stakes. Surely we could have offered more or be given the chance to up the ante. I just trust they have a plan and know more than we do. It’s all I can do. 

2 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

I'm guessing the Colts feel they can still grab their targeted player at #6 instead of #12.

knowing Jets would be taking a QB at 6 they could have traded back up to 7 to get a player using some of the picks we gave them.  or we could have traded up to 7 as part of a 3 way trade.  we were able to offer more than the Jets so it doesn't make sense that they beat us to the punch

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

That just makes me think they are favoring a guy they think will last beyond #3. It’s a game of high stakes poker. Very high stakes. Surely we could have offered more or be given the chance to up the ante. I just trust they have a plan and know more than we do. It’s all I can do. 

Good on you for keeping the faith.  I think they thought the Colts would never trade the pick 6 weeks before the draft and were blindsided.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

Good on you for keeping the faith.  I think they thought the Colts would never trade the pick 6 weeks before the draft and were blindsided.

Why wouldn’t the Colts ask us for more? I certainly would have. I DID think the timing was odd. 

14 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

knowing Jets would be taking a QB at 6 they could have traded back up to 7 to get a player using some of the picks we gave them.  or we could have traded up to 7 as part of a 3 way trade.  we were able to offer more than the Jets so it doesn't make sense that they beat us to the punch

I legitimately believe Beane thought he had plenty of time to play the Colts out holding the best cards, the Colts had been talking to the Jets for over a month and the Jets finally broke and gave them what they wanted (I wouldn't be surprised if they waited to have McCown / Bridgewater signed knowing being in QB position would hurt their bargaining power).

12 minutes ago, Augie said:

Why wouldn’t the Colts ask us for more? I certainly would have. I DID think the timing was odd. 

Entirely possible Beane thought they were trying to play him, figured "yeah right they are actually going to trade now, they just want to bleed us more" and the Colts were done with it and moved.

Edited by Chuck Wagon
  • Like (+1) 1

I legitimately believe Beane thought he had plenty of time to play the Colts out holding the best cards, the Colts had been talking to the Jets for over a month and the Jets finally broke and gave them what they wanted (I wouldn't be surprised if they waited to have McCown / Bridgewater signed knowing being in QB position would hurt their bargaining power).

yes that's exactly what happened.  Beane has shown that he is a shrewd negotiator similar to what we have heard about Gettleman.  look at the Mccarron contract.  he lowballs the crap out of people and then waits it out.  i think in this case it backfired.  he underestimated the desperation of the Jets and the willingness of the Colts to get a trade done before the draft

2 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Entirely possible Beane thought they were trying to play him, figured "yeah right they are actually going to trade now, they just want to bleed us more" and the Colts were done with it and moved.

Entirely possible, and I doubt we’ll ever know. 

11 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

yes that's exactly what happened.  Beane has shown that he is a shrewd negotiator similar to what we have heard about Gettleman.  look at the Mccarron contract.  he lowballs the crap out of people and then waits it out.  i think in this case it backfired.  he underestimated the desperation of the Jets and the willingness of the Colts to get a trade done before the draft

I just don't think you win the negotiation on a trade up for a QB.  You win several times over if the QB actually hits, but when it comes to value on the trade, you are going to lose.  If Beane is waiting this thing out in hopes of winning the negotiation, we aren't getting a top QB.

I just don't think you win the negotiation on a trade up for a QB.  You win several times over if the QB actually hits, but when it comes to value on the trade, you are going to lose.  If Beane is waiting this thing out in hopes of winning the negotiation, we aren't getting a top QB.

keep in mind he is a rookie at this.  i know people like to think he walks on water and can do no wrong but he is still trying to figure things out.  it's very likely that he underestimated the situation and now we are on the outside looking in

11 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

keep in mind he is a rookie at this.  i know people like to think he walks on water and can do no wrong but he is still trying to figure things out.  it's very likely that he underestimated the situation and now we are on the outside looking in

I've said before, but I don't believe we are anywhere near as desperate for a QB as the Browns / Jets / Broncos, probably even Dolphins or Cardinals.  These guys traded off "established" talent for draft picks, let guys like Gilmore & Woods walk in FA and still made the playoffs.  There has to be a certain amount of "walking on water" in the building.  

• Like (+1) 1