Realism about the QB Position

54 minutes ago, 8-8 Forever? said:

hey they traded up for Losman.  how'd that work out?

They traded up from the 2nd round to draft the 4th ranked QB in the draft, they drafted Lee Evans with their first pick in the 1st round. This is exactly what is being suggested in this thread. Don't move up and grab one of the top prospects and instead draft pieces that will end up leaving in FA and take a second tier QB.

So yea, tell me how that worked out? It didn't but lets do it again.

6 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

I prefer Mayfield personally.

Perhaps a bit, but the point remains that to be successful, you need to build a team.

Isn’t the old adage that games are won and lost in the trenches? 

Not anywhere. In today's NFL it is all about how you pass the Football. We are in the Golden Era of the Passing League

8 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

They traded up from the 2nd round to draft the 4th ranked QB in the draft, they drafted Lee Evans with their first pick in the 1st round. This is exactly what is being suggested in this thread. Don't move up and grab one of the top prospects and instead draft pieces that will end up leaving in FA and take a second tier QB.

So yea, tell me how that worked out? It didn't but lets do it again.

4th ranked by whom? Maybe the Bills liked Losman the best among the QBs in the draft.

They also gave up a boatload of picks for Rob Johnson and he flamed out.

It’s about getting the right guy.

I think it’s clear that the process is about building a team and not about adding individual talent.

I am not arguing that McCarron is better than Rosen or that we shouldn’t draft a QB. My point is that you can’t pin all of your hopes on drafting one player.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

4th ranked by whom? Maybe the Bills liked Losman the best among the QBs in the draft.

They also gave up a boatload of picks for Rob Johnson and he flamed out.

It’s about getting the right guy.

Seriously? Is that why they were trying desperately to trade up to get Roethlisberger, because they had Losman among the best?

Or how about this, if he was ranked as "among the best" why didn't they select him with the 11th pick?

Edited by Wayne Cubed

6 hours ago, KingRex said:
  • My guess is that McD has a realistic view of the situation in that he and his on field braintrust bring a lot to the table and it was no accident he has cultivated a winning attitude which brought this team to the playoffs!!! But, he simply sucks at young QB development and also has let his hope of winning overwhelm his football intelligence when he stupidly asked a 5th round drafted rookie to lead the team to the playoffs.

My sense is this means two things:

1. I doubt he is drafting a QB with an expectation that player is going to contribute much to the 2018 Bills on the field

2. Rosen leading his college team to an 18-20 record is gonna count heavily in McDs mind as he works to build a winners' ethic here in Buffalo.

yep he sucks....especially if he drafts that bell guy<_<

1 hour ago, Chuck Wagon said:

If only the academic standards at UCLA were more like Bama. 

image description

The 25th percentile ACT score is 25, and the 75th percentile ACT score is 33 for UCLA. The average ACT is 29.

It’s 23 and 32 for Alabama with an average ACT of 27.

For undergrad, the two schools aren’t as dissimilar as you might think. UCLA has much better graduate programs.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

image description

The 25th percentile ACT score is 25, and the 75th percentile ACT score is 33 for UCLA. The average ACT is 29.

It’s 23 and 32 for Alabama with an average ACT of 27.

For undergrad, the two schools aren’t as dissimilar as you might think. UCLA has much better graduate programs.

You don’t think the standards are slightly different for the football program?

Alabama has been attracting great students.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/06/education/edlife/survival-strategies-for-public-universities.html?referer=https://www.google.com/

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

You don’t think the standards are slightly different for the football program?

Not that I know of. Do you have data to indicate that they are?

7 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

Even with Rosen, who is largely believed to be a savior by many here, UCLA was a mediocre team. Why do you think that he would make a mediocre team great in the NFL?

If you replace Josh Rosen with say the college equivalent of Tyrod Taylor they would be no where near 18-20. UCLA was criminally bad and only stayed afloat because of the singular brilliance of Josh Rosen.

McCarron for one thing was on an extremely stacked Alabama team that probably could of beat the Bills back then. Which is why he wasn't drafted early. So the win loss record comparison isn't really a comparison at all

Edited by ddaryl

31 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Alabama has been attracting great students.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/11/06/education/edlife/survival-strategies-for-public-universities.html?referer=https://www.google.com/

Not that I know of. Do you have data to indicate that they are?

http://blog.al.com/birmingham-news-sports/2009/12/university_of_alabama_athletes.html

1 minute ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

If you replace Josh Rosen with say the college equivalent of Tyrod Taylor they would be no where near 18-20. UCLA was criminally bad and only stayed afloat because of the singular brilliance of Josh Rosen.

They were 10 - 3 the year before Rosen.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Sky Diver said:

They were 10 - 3 the year before Rosen.

How many key players did they lose between those years.. Not that I am a huge Rosen fan, but people use the talent surrounding argument to justify Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen, and then conveniently forget it when pulling for McCarron

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

UCLA can add another record-breaker to its list of sports statistics: largest SAT score gap between athletes and non-athletes. According to a new survey of 54 public universities released by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the average athlete at UCLA scored 247 points lower on the SATs than the average non-athlete, a greater difference than at any other university surveyed.

http://dailybruin.com/2009/01/06/emucla-should-not-lower-admission-standards-athlet/

35 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

One. Others?

Goff, Cutler, Bledsoe, Matt Hasselbeck, Mahomes

32 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

How many key players did they lose between those years.. Not that I am a huge Rosen fan, but people use the talent surrounding argument to justify Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen, and then conveniently forget it when pulling for McCarron

The UCLA defense was ranked 127/130 and the rushing attack was ranked below 100 as well. Their passing Offense was ranked 4th. It's safe to say that the talent around him was lacking. 

Edited by Batman1876

8 hours ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

The realism is, nobody knows anything until the game is played.  NFL and College are not level playing grounds. 

While no one has played a game, reality does indicate that unless a QB has a strong supporting cast he will never win it all.  The QB is not the lone wolf Savior.  He has to have a strong supporting cast.