What is it about these prospects?

I like a few QB's in the draft but nowhere near as much as most seem too. I'm really interested in what the average person around here sees that I don't. I would love to know what your best NFL comparison is to who you think the top prospects could become. The way I see it:

Sam Darnold = Chad Pennington, Sam Bradford

Josh Rosen = Geno Smith, Andy Dalton, Possible attitude comp: Jay Cutler

Baker Mayfield = Drew Brees, Doug Flutie

Josh Allen = Ryan Mallet, Kyle Boller

Lamar Jackson = Mike Vick, Tyrod Tylor

Mason Rudolph = Case Keenum, Blake Bortles

Any of these guys could turn out to be a star in the right situation but they all have significant bust potential. We definitely have to draft a Qb this year but I wouldn't trade the majority of the Bills picks for any of these guys. The second tier guys Kyle Lauletta, Mike White, Riley Ferguson, Luke Falk are not that far off. 

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Madd Charlie said:

I like a few QB's in the draft but nowhere near as much as most seem too. I'm really interested in what the average person around here sees that I don't. I would love to know what your best NFL comparison is to who you think the top prospects could become. The way I see it:

Any of these guys could turn out to be a star in the right situation but they all have significant bust potential. We definitely have to draft a Qb this year but I wouldn't trade the majority of the Bills picks for any of these guys. The second tier guys Kyle Lauletta, Mike White, Riley Ferguson, Luke Falk are not that far off. 

This may be the silliest comparisons I've ever seen and I'm being serious.  

• Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Madd Charlie said:

What??

Chad Pennington??

Pennington had a huge arm strength question coming into the draft.

Darnold does not.

They aren't even close to each other in terms of strengths and negatives.

Rosen and Geno Smith??

Seriously you're not even doing a good job trolling.

Edited by SouthNYfan

I think Rosen is better than what you're suggesting.  And if I thought Mayfield was another Brees I'd move up to 1 and get him.  But I don't think he is.

It's like every year:  teams are desperate to find that one guy so QBs picked way higher than maybe their talent suggests.

9 minutes ago, Madd Charlie said:

Well I guess we know which one you like!

• Thank you (+1) 1

At this point, I've done my most film review on Sam Darnold.  He reminds me of Brett Favre with his style of play. 

Darnold is a gunslinger, always looking to push the ball downfield.  You almost never see him settling for check-downs.  This can be both good and bad, because he also forces things to heavy coverage.  This was Favre's style exactly.  I also see similarities in the way they move around the pocket, and in their unconventional mechanics when throwing.

How anyone can see noodle-arm Chad Pennington or check-down king Sam Bradford when watching Darnold is a complete mystery to me.

Geno Smith has better college stats than Rosen. He did play one more year but if you look at the percentages they are closer than you think. Darnold has a stronger arm than Pennington but to me they play a similar game other than the fact Darnold has a better deep ball and is better outside the pocket. I could be wrong but so could the talking heads. We all can agree that theres no Luck Manning or Rivers here right?

18 minutes ago, billspro said:

Darnold -> Winston

Rosen -> Eli Manning

Mayfield-> Brees 

Allen -> Anderson with a bigger arm

White -> Schaub 

Jackson -> Vick with less accuracy

Rudolph -> Bridgewater

I could potentially agree with this

Edited by Madd Charlie

28 minutes ago, Madd Charlie said:

My comparisons would be (most likely comparison first, peak comparison second):

Darnold: Current version of Jameis Winston, Philip Rivers

Rosen: Eli Manning (but injury prone rather than being an ironman), Matt Ryan

Mayfield: Jeff Garcia, this past year's version of Case Keenum

Josh Allen: Blake Bortles, Cam Newton (but with more emphasis on passing than running)

Lamar Jackson: Mike Vick, N/A (I don't think Lamar's potential peak is really comparable to any other QB before him)

Mason Rudolph: Nathan Peterman, Elvis Grbac

Kyle Lauletta: Colt McCoy, Alex Smith

Edited by DCOrange

16 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

What??

Chad Pennington??

Pennington had a huge arm strength question coming into the draft.

Darnold does not.

They aren't even close to each other in terms of strengths and negatives.

Rosen and Geno Smith??

Seriously you're not even doing a good job trolling.

Actually, Pennington's arm strength wasn't an issue until he injured his shoulder early in his career. 

I'm not sure if the OP's comparisons are valid but certainly this year's QBs all have serious questions just how successful they'll be as pros.  The more I find out about them, the more I hope the Bills don't trade up any further. 

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Actually, Pennington's arm strength wasn't an issue until he injured his shoulder early in his career. 

I'm not sure if the OP's comparisons are valid but certainly this year's QBs all have serious questions just how successful they'll be as pros.  The more I find out about them, the more I hope the Bills don't trade up any further. 

From scouts on him:

"Still, questions persist. In addition to his mobility, scouts have doubts about the arm strength of Pennington, who threw for 4,006 yards and 38 touchdowns last year. When asked about the criticism, Pennington merely shrugs his shoulders."

Pennington absolutely had a weak arm coming out, and that's why his injury was so bad for his career.

losing velocity when you already have subpar velocity is a death sentence.

37 minutes ago, Madd Charlie said:

Geno Smith has better college stats than Rosen. He did play one more year but if you look at the percentages they are closer than you think. Darnold has a stronger arm than Pennington but to me they play a similar game other than the fact Darnold has a better deep ball and is better outside the pocket. I could be wrong but so could the talking heads. We all can agree that theres no Luck Manning or Rivers here right?

I could potentially agree with this

I honestly don't see any similarities between Geno Smith and Rosen. 

58 minutes ago, Dalton said:

Is it allowed for them to be Sam, Josh, Baker, etc?  I always find it weak to make gross comparisions that never align correctly.

That's not how this works. Allowing a player time to carve out his own career takes time. We need instant comparisons so we can sleep easy at night.

Just now, Madd Charlie said:

For me it was the fact that his long game seems more evolved than his short game, injury concerns, attitude concerns and stats

When I watched Geno Smith in college I felt he had trouble with accuracy beyond 8 yards and almost never went to his second read. I did not give him a very high grade at all.

You can see Rosen make accurate throws at all three levels and go through progressions many times on tape.

Rosens durability is definitely a concern. His attitude seems fine, he just has a different personality and sense of humor than most people.