Why not give McCarron an honest chance?

6 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I am okay with this strategy.  I am more inclined to make a small trade up in the seven to ten range if it will ensure getting a qb we are particularly interested in.

I agree with this also...if Baker is there in that range I would LOVE a trade up to get him.  But if they do trade up for him or any of the other QB's, I hope its in that range for less.  We dont need to get into the top 5.

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I guess I'd add that McCarron - who I don't dislike! - played on an offense filled with 5-star recruits. My guess is that Garrapolo did more with less. He was actually drafted a lot higher than McCarron, so there is that. To my eye, he also just looks like a better qb than McCarron. But McCarron will have his shot, and maybe he'll excel. His problem is that he'll be throwing to what is currently a rock-bottom receiver corps.

McCarron played against far superior competition.

On 3/18/2018 at 6:00 PM, Inigo Montoya said:

He was in Saban’s pro-style offense.  He played well in big games, won two national championships.  Is used to taking snaps under center.  Has a 66.9% accuracy percentage which is better than every other QB prospect in this year’s draft besides Mayfield.  He has now had a couple of years to sit behind Andy Dalton, a solid NFL QB, and acclimate to the NFL, and has looked good in spot duty when Dalton was out.

I think going up to pick 2 is going to take all of our draft capital.  I’d rather give McCarron an honest chance to be our QB.  Surround him with talent from this year’s draft and let’s see what the kid can do.

Accuracy percentages 2017

Mayfield. 70.1%

Rosen      62.6%

Darnold   63.1%

Allen        56.3%

Jackson  59.1%

McCarron career 66.9%

I couldn't agree more unless Mayfield is sitting there at 12, your list puts McCarron exactly where i put him, just behind Mayfield.  If we can get Mayfield at 12 and pass I will be bent, unless we grab Vita, providing he slips that far. 

Cheers to all

Edited by Billsfanatixs

He is going to get an honest chance. Bills have assets and are in position to be able to draft a QB high, and you dont get that opportunity every year. Can't pass on the chance because you want to hope McCarron is good...

On 3/18/2018 at 6:00 PM, Inigo Montoya said:

He was in Saban’s pro-style offense.  He played well in big games, won two national championships.  Is used to taking snaps under center.  Has a 66.9% accuracy percentage which is better than every other QB prospect in this year’s draft besides Mayfield.  He has now had a couple of years to sit behind Andy Dalton, a solid NFL QB, and acclimate to the NFL, and has looked good in spot duty when Dalton was out.

I think going up to pick 2 is going to take all of our draft capital.  I’d rather give McCarron an honest chance to be our QB.  Surround him with talent from this year’s draft and let’s see what the kid can do.

Accuracy percentages 2017

Mayfield. 70.1%

Rosen      62.6%

Darnold   63.1%

Allen        56.3%

Jackson  59.1%

McCarron career 66.9%

Funny...thats the same completion percentage as EJ Manuel had at Florida State...how did that work out?

On 3/19/2018 at 10:50 PM, matter2003 said:

He is going to get an honest chance. Bills have assets and are in position to be able to draft a QB high, and you dont get that opportunity every year. Can't pass on the chance because you want to hope McCarron is good...

Funny...thats the same completion percentage as EJ Manuel had at Florida State...how did that work out?

Hey Matter,

I am all for them drafting a QB in this draft, I just hope they don't sell the farm to move up into the top 5 of the draft.  I think the Jet's trade up has made it too expensive to do so. There is a chance one of the "elite" guys drops, but even if they don't I would be happy to grab Rudolph with a later pick.  Use those other picks to put players around who ever the QB is so they have a fair chance to have success.  I would have no problem going into camp with McCarron, Rudolph, and Peterman competing for the starting job.

Because he’s a backup. 

We gave Trent Edwards 3 years. 

We gave Ryan Fitzpatrick 3 years. 

We gave Orton a year and wanted him back for Year 2. 

We gave Tyrod Taylor 3 years. 

That’s 10 of the last 11 years trying to make up backups the “Franchise QB”. 

That’s why.