2018 NCAA Tourney

plenzmd1

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

What was it coined here? BBFS? You got it hard!

Lord, I root for Bonnie, then I hear the coach talk and I want them to lose by 100. 

Listen to Chris Mack (X coach) and you’ll fall in love. He grew up in Cincinnati, was a captain for Xavier, an assistant coach there before HC. But his wife is from Louisville. They could double his pay or more over night.  It’s a tough call, but I pray he’s good without stepping into a nasty transition. He’s already turned away Cal, Indiana, etc. but......    If you don’t have the HUGE bucks you worry after every good year. 

12 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

2) Someone tell me if i am nuts, Rhode Island only giving 1 1/2 to Oklahoma seems like a gift..almost too much of one. Anybody on here bet basketball and can tell me if Vegas is trying to entice me to take Rhode Island? I have a bit in my account from the first half win bet in SB, want to let it all roll on Rhode Island here. But something seems fishy to me

As a URI alum with a lifetime of scars from horrifying rooting interests (Bills, Mets, Sabres, etc), I feel obligated to warn against that course of action.

But Rhody does play some nice D and it sounds like OU doesn't have much of an plan B if you shut down their super frosh, so maybe it's a good call.  The line (and Rhody's seeding) was certainly knocked down by them losing 3 of their last 5.  But they have generally shown the ability to close out games this year so that bodes well in the tourney.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

As a URI alum with a lifetime of scars from horrifying rooting interests (Bills, Mets, Sabres, etc), I feel obligated to warn against that course of action.

But Rhody does play some nice D and it sounds like OU doesn't have much of an plan B if you shut down their super frosh, so maybe it's a good call.  The line (and Rhody's seeding) was certainly knocked down by them losing 3 of their last 5.  But they have generally shown the ability to close out games this year so that bodes well in the tourney.

There is a rumor circulating that Connecticut is interested in Hurley. 

6 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I'm sure, they are desperate for coach.  Frankly I'm surprised Hurley has lasted this long.

The Hurley brothers have done terrific jobs at their respective locations. The Rhode Island Hurley's response to his brother's being in the tournament showed a lot of emotion and love. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/uris-dan-hurley-gets-emotional-as-brother-bobby-asu-snag-ncaa-tournament-bid/

what a crunked up year for the Pac 12, started with USC getting all the hype (when did USC ever do anything in hoops since the early 1970s) and all the talent in the world and no team can get its act together for two games in a row.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

The Hurley brothers have done terrific jobs at their respective locations. The Rhode Island Hurley's response to his brother's being in the tournament showed a lot of emotion and love. 

Nah, it would have been poetic justice for UB to get a bid and ASU be left out.

I have no issues with Dan Hurley at URI.

Okay, just made the plunge..Rhode Island -2, standard 10% vig. 

Did not quite go 100% of the account, but close. Cmon Rhode Island, let me have some fun rest of the trny!

If I win this, you can get dollars to donuts UB getting some of my action that night.

MACAction..love it!!!

2 hours ago, eball said:

Nah, it would have been poetic justice for UB to get a bid and ASU be left out.

I have no issues with Dan Hurley at URI.

Danny Hurley elevated the program and left it in good shape. Danny Hurley did what most coaches do after doing a good job. seeking better opportunities based on his work record. By the way the young AD at UB who hired Hurley left to become the AD at Duke. That's how it works in that field of endeavor. You may begrudge Hurley for leaving but I don't. He did well at UB and is doing well at ASU. I'll give him props while you throw mud pies at him. 

You still can't get the Marrone departure out of your blood stream. Let it go! You'll feel much better. :)

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Danny Hurley elevated the program and left it in good shape. Danny Hurley did what most coaches do after doing a good job. seeking better opportunities based on his work record. By the way the young AD at UB who hired Hurley left to become the AD at Duke. That's how it works in that field of endeavor. You may begrudge Hurley for leaving but I don't. He did well at UB and is doing well at ASU. I'll give him props while you throw mud pies at him. 

You still can't get the Marrone departure out of your blood stream. Let it go! You'll feel much better. :)

Danny White actually hired Hurley at UB in 2013 and he is now at UCF but I get your point

Allen Greene who just left UB is now at Auburn

Edited by Buffalo716

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I mixed up where the former AD went to. It was Danny White who went to Central Florida. His father is the AD at Duke. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_White_(athletic_director)

Yea danny White actually hired Hurley and he is UCF AD now

If you do well at UB someone will always try and poach you 

Edited by Buffalo716

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Yea danny White actually hired Hurley and he is UCF AD now

If you do well at UB someone will always try and poach you 

That's the challenge that the mid-level programs have to contend with. I would rather have talented young people who leave for better opportunities because they did a good job than get pedestrian people who run your program down into the mud hole of mediocrity. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

You're confusing Danny with Bobby but I hear what you're saying.  You just forgot (or didn't know) that I already have distaste for Bobby Hurley from his Dook days (I'm a Carolina grad).  It was all I could do to "enjoy" what he did at UB.

6 minutes ago, eball said:

You're confusing Danny with Bobby but I hear what you're saying.  You just forgot (or didn't know) that I already have distaste for Bobby Hurley from his Dook days (I'm a Carolina grad).  It was all I could do to "enjoy" what he did at UB.

You are right I mixed up the two. Even as a Carolina grad you have to give the less than athletic Bobby his props for how hard he played. He gave it all he got. I think some of the hostility toward him was because he couldn't hide his emotions. He reminds me of Duke's Grayson Allen he attracts a lot of hostility because he comes off as whiny when in reality each of these players are not capable of masking their emotions.

40 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You are right I mixed up the two. Even as a Carolina grad you have to give the less than athletic Bobby his props for how hard he played. He gave it all he got. I think some of the hostility toward him was because he couldn't hide his emotions. He reminds me of Duke's Grayson Allen he attracts a lot of hostility because he comes off as whiny when in reality each of these players are not capable of masking their emotions.

Allen's a dirty prick.  At least Hurley played hard but clean.

Allen can't hold Hurley's jock.

6 hours ago, eball said:

Allen's a dirty prick.  At least Hurley played hard but clean.

Allen can't hold Hurley's jock.

Allen is a head case. The guy can really play, but he looked like a 3 year old who didn’t get his nap after getting yanked last year after one of his bizarre trips. I don’t mean that in a bad way either, as strange as that sounds. He looked like he wasn’t mentally stable. I don’t know the guy, and he’s immensely talented, but I wouldn’t want my team to draft him. I hope he’s gotten help and he’s OK.   

Edited by Augie