SPECULATION: Here comes QB Derek Anderson

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You could be on to something, Meanie.

I'll let BLM speak for himself but I don't think it's "just because he played for the Panthers..."

Anderson is a capable veteran.  In the last 4 years with CAR, when he's played he's split W-L - exactly as you want a vet to do.  I'm not sure he has 300 yd games in him at this point, but with McCoy and Ivory we should have a good run game.

The reason Anderson would be a better choice as the Vet in the room vs McCown or Moore, is that he's played in the Erhard-Perkins system with Carolina, Arizona and get this - with Daboll in Cleveland in 2009.  Unlike McCown or Moore who would be learning it alongside a rookie, Anderson knows the system, he can help teach it.

I knew there was something about you, a keen look of intelligence in your eyes. A clear headed thinker, able to cut through the murkiness and fog of the babblings of press and posters, and to look and find out facts! And then the bravery you show by chiming in and not in order to join the unruly mob of hecklers what I got in here. I salute you sir!

Of course your facts are fantastic as usual.

I will also add some less substantive points than yours but they reflect some more of my thinking.

First I will say lots of posters in here maybe are thinking about what they would want as fans, instead of as a GM. Fans want a chance to win. Somebody like McCown maybe gives us fans a chance to have our cake and eat it too.

But in Derek Anderson, here is a guy who they kept on as a backup in Carolina for 7 years.  Before a one year stop in Atlanta he was in Cleveland for 5 years before that.

That means teams kind of like having him around.

Now I don't know if Anderson is smart or not. I don't know if he is a good mentor or not. And I don't kow if he is a decent enough option to play half a season or not. 

But McBean knows. 

When I think of me as being McBean, I am thinking that when I trade up for QB (which they will do), that is the single biggest move a GM can make. It might be my only time doing that. It might determine my whole career.

So who will I bring in to mentor this kid. Who will I bring in to maybe start and then step aside and still teach the cub to hunt without being a negative presence in the locker room? 

Somebody I don't know??? Not on your life. Not me. McBeane might but I sure as hell wouldn't. I would bring in somebody I know and trust.

So bray all y'all want. My thought is a wild guess. But it isn't stupid. It's a legit possibility. For the reasons I have posted and the very good reasons Hapless posted.

Edited by BadLandsMeanie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Every time I see that picture of a nose of yours, I expect a low effort critical remark.

Im usually right.

Then I’m doing what I set out to do. ??

Edited by Domdab99

Just now, Domdab99 said:

The im doing what I set out to do. ??

lol. Well ok then. I can live with that.

1 minute ago, JPP said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA......sorry some one said Derek Anderson?......HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

I thought Canadians were supposed to be so polite?

2 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

lol. Well ok then. I can live with that.

I thought Canadians were supposed to be so polite?

im sorry......i really am......my emotions are just all out of whack after what happened today.......

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Josh McCown is a better option if you're going that route.

Well, now, better in what sense?  He's 4 years older.  He's played a lot more in the last 4-5 years.  He played quite decently last year.

So if you want him to actually play, more than a couple of games, Yes, yes - he's better.

If you want him as the backup mentor, the veteran voice to a QB on the sideline, as I pointed out elsewhere Anderson has something that McCown doesn't: experience in the EP system.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say if that Carolina kept him around since 2011, it wasn't for his great deep ball and his dangerous wheels, it was probably because he was a good mentor to young Cam Newton *in the system they run*, which happens to be the same system we're going to run.

42 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Matt Moore would be even a better option. He is an unrestricted free agent. 

Matt Moore might be a good option.  I would have said that he is probably happily settled in Miami holding a clipboard for Tannehill, but since Gase is hiring Dowell Loggains (who?) as OC, maybe he wants to shake things up.  On closer look, Miami's system has been listed as Spread/Erhardt-Perkins for 2 years so presumably Moore knows something about it. 

As of last year, I would have said that Moore was the "live lion" out of the 'dead lion" "live mouse" trio there, but he did throw 5 picks and 4 TD in 4 games last year.

37 minutes ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Derek Anderson is 53 years old

Oh, come now young Whippersnapper.  I realize anyone over 30 looks ancient to your youthful glims, but he's 35, 4 years younger than McCown and 2 years older than Moore.

7 minutes ago, Domdab99 said:

Then I’m doing what I set out to do. ??

But why?

33 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

There's been speculation picking up on Bradford to Buffalo. More than a few media dweebs have been floating that around. 

I hope that gets parked on a levee somewhere, right next to the Allen to Buffalo truck.  But that's just me

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

Think that's more likely

They have said many times they are looking to win now while building for the future. They aren't going to give up all their picks for someone they have no idea if he can start now.

I say it's more likely they make a move for a vet to start now and draft someone closer to the late teens/early twenties

Agreed. Which leads me to Lamar Jackson or maybe Rudolph. I didn't hear anything about Rudolph at the combine though. I could see their interest in Lamar as I think his skill set is similar to Cam's. 

1 hour ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Yeah they seem to be getting the torches and pitchforks ready for me here :o

How did you get away?

No worries, Mate, I'll distract them and you slip out the back and hide under the tarp covering the Honey Wagon

1 minute ago, NextYear'sTheOne said:

Agreed. Which leads me to Lamar Jackson or maybe Rudolph. I didn't hear anything about Rudolph at the combine though. I could see their interest in Lamar as I think his skill set is similar to Cam's. 

I would be happier with Lamar than Rudolph but IMO both of them are QB that really need to sit for a year, in which case Derek Anderson would not be the right guy

Unless the Bills have gouge off the whiteboard with Jackson that leads them to believe he's closer than I think.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No worries, Mate, I'll distract them and you slip out the back and hide under the tarp covering the Honey Wagon

I would be happier with Lamar than Rudolph but IMO both of them are QB that really need to sit for a year, in which case Derek Anderson would not be the right guy

Unless the Bills have gouge off the whiteboard with Jackson that leads them to believe he's closer than I think.

I would definitely prefer Foles. 

4 minutes ago, slaphappy said:

What's Fitz up to?

Just resigned with the Bucs

2 hours ago, Rubes said:

I think you're on to something there. They may draft a rookie and let Peterman start the season. If they crap the bed, so be it...better draft picks next year, and time to give the keys to the kid.

If they were going to tank, 2017 should have been the year to tank, so that they can get their Franchise QBs and the draft capital without having to pay the ransom now that they have to do to move to the top 5.  Doesn't make sense

3 hours ago, Luxy312 said:

Bradford on a "show me" deal and sitting put at 21 in the draft would make sense to me.  They only move up if they're drafting the franchise guy for sure.

This makes a lot of sense but again I have a feeling Cousins might come to us even though we don't feel it likely at the present.

I don't pretend to know whether the Bills are locked into a low priced bridge QB, or would be opne to a QB that might have the potential to start for a few years (Bridgewater or Keenum.  It will be interesting to watch the twists and turns of this offseason, considering how it has started.

This makes sense BLM.  Hard to say if he'll be the mentor that Bills fans seem to crave (mentor), but the good news is that

he threw 8 passes last year, so he should have a live arm.

If he teaches the 2 other qb's how to prepare, that would be fine.