Frankly Speaking : Why Not Try Something New?

Hello everyone and welcome to Frankly Speaking.

Frankly Speaking is straight talk about the Buffalo Bills, the team that put the “We” in Weenie.

D9DRZGg.jpg

(For those that don't know me the notion that this is a “column” is tongue in cheek. I am not trying to pretend I am a sportswriter here).

There may be a few posts from me along these lines, which is about things that I think are wrong with the league. Almost nobody will like them or agree. I know that going in!

I will get to my topic for this post in a minute but first a little background. I think my anger started to from several years ago. The year, 2014. EJ is struggling some so I asked my friend who are the Qbs in the draft who look the most like pro prospects to you? My buddy's only qualification is that he watches a lot of college football.

He said Carr and Garopolo. Both of those guys went in the 2nd round. He was correct about both of them. He said that he thinks teams are shying away from Carr because his brother didn't pan out, as ridiculous as that sounds.

In 2014 teams took Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel, and Teddy Bridgewater in the first round.

We took Cyrus Kouandjio in the 2nd. (After trading up for Sammy in the 1st)

I have had a long time to think about that and it is festering. Each year since, my buddy, who sits and watches TV, out performs the teams and the pundits. This bugs me.

I have learned to question the NFL and the decisions that they make. I do not now automatically defer to their expertise.

Which leads me to my main topic that NFL teams routinely pretend to have a legitimate chance to win. They know, or they should know, that they can't. I don't really blame them too much for that. It is show business after all.

What I blame them for is that they don't do anything about it. They don't try. They don't want to look stupid. They don't want to get fired. Or they are not even smart enough to try.

Half the teams in the NFL can't win big because they haven't got a good enough passing game. Where is the innovation? Where is the effort? Where is the creativity?

Why do they even have half these quarterbacks out there?

Not to pick on Tyrod but he is the one I know best. Tyrod throws 20 yards or more about 15% of the time. Usually he is throwing the ball about 7 yards, which is 21 feet. Most of the time his job is to hand the ball to Shady or someone else.

My thought is, what is he doing out there? Most of the time he does nothing besides hand the ball to somebody. Couldn't a smart offensive guru get more use out of that 11th spot?

Do we need a highly skilled superb master athlete to throw the ball 20 feet?

They don't want him to run all the time because he will get hurt.

So, why doesn't anybody maybe try having another running back, who can also throw the ball 20 feet? I bet there are plenty of them who could do it. That way he could run any time because he would be sturdy enough to handle the tackling.

What about two fullbacks to clear the way? A direct snap to the running back and two fullbacks in front and lets see you stop them. How about an extra road grading offensive lineman out there to overpower a defense?

How about doing something, besides nothing, about the problem?

I am no offensive expert at all but it seems to me that these guys who make millions of dollars because they are so smart at designing an offense, should be able to try something.

Instead they put guys out there to pretend to be something they are not.

What about if you don't have Aaron Rodgers on your team, you stop running the show as if you do?

And then they make excuses. And then say how hard it is to find a franchise qb.

How about you try something else for a change?

At least it wouldn't be boring, and you wouldn't know the outcome of the season before it even started.

Edited by BadLandsMeanie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Sooooo......you're not going to tell us who your expert friend thinks are the best QBs in this draft?

Maybe we should just build around Tyrod and focus on this strengths.  He can make plays with his legs, you know.

8 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Sooooo......you're not going to tell us who your expert friend thinks are the best QBs in this draft?

Maybe we should just build around Tyrod and focus on this strengths.  He can make plays with his legs, you know.

I would run Tyrod but he will get killed. He will never make it through the season.

I am all for an athletic running QB so long as he can actually run a LOT and not get hurt. They are never built for that though.

And this year he says in order:

Rosen, Allen (big arm), Mayfield, Jackson, with Rudolph as a sleeper. Rudolph he says is like a Flacco but with better decision making.

The big difference between the mainstream is he doesn't like Darnold.

12 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Umm, let's just get a quality QB. For the Bill's, that actually would  be trying something new.

lol good point

33 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Frankly Speaking is straight talk about the Buffalo Bills, the team that put the “We” in Weenie.

D9DRZGg.jpg

(For those that don't know me the notion that this is a “column” is tongue in cheek. I am not trying to pretend I am a sportswriter here).

There may be a few posts from me along these lines, which is about things that I think are wrong with the league. Almost nobody will like them or agree. I know that going in!

I will get to my topic for this post in a minute but first a little background. I think my anger started to from several years ago. The year, 2014. EJ is struggling some so I asked my friend who are the Qbs in the draft who look the most like pro prospects to you? My buddy's only qualification is that he watches a lot of college football.

He said Carr and Garopolo. Both of those guys went in the 2nd round. He was correct about both of them. He said that he thinks teams are shying away from Carr because his brother didn't pan out, as ridiculous as that sounds.

In 2014 teams took Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel, and Teddy Bridgewater in the first round.

I have had a long time to think about that and it is festering. Each year since, my buddy, who sits and watches TV, out performs the teams and the pundits. This bugs me.

I have learned to question the NFL and the decisions that they make. I do not now automatically defer to their expertise.

Which leads me to my main topic that NFL teams routinely pretend to have a legitimate chance to win. They know, or they should know, that they can't. I don't really blame them too much for that. It is show business after all.

What I blame them for is that they don't do anything about it. They don't try. They don't want to look stupid. They don't want to get fired. Or they are not even smart enough to try.

Half the teams in the NFL can't win big because they haven't got a good enough passing game. Where is the innovation? Where is the effort? Where is the creativity?

Not to pick on Tyrod but he is the one I know best. Tyrod throws 20 yards or more about 15% of the time. Usually he is throwing the ball about 7 yards, which is 21 feet. Most of the time his job is to hand the ball to Shady or someone else.

My thought is, what is he doing out there? Most of the time he does nothing besides hand the ball to somebody. Couldn't a smart offensive guru get more use out of that 11th spot?

So, why doesn't anybody maybe try having another running back, who can also throw the ball 20 feet? I bet there are plenty of them who could do it. That way he could run any time because he would be sturdy enough to handle the tackling.

What about two fullbacks to clear the way? A direct snap to the running back and two fullbacks in front and lets see you stop them. How about an extra road grading offensive lineman out there to overpower a defense?

I am no offensive expert at all but it seems to me that these guys who make millions of dollars because they are so smart at designing an offense, should be able to try something.

What about if you don't have Aaron Rodgers on your team, you stop running the show as if you do?

At least it wouldn't be boring, and you wouldn't know the outcome of the season before it even started.

I have always loved your posts whether I agree with them or not.....

2 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

8 offensive linemen up front ... Tyrod at QB ... McCoy and Sony Michel in the wishbone ... Super Bowl.

Or stay with the 8 lineman, two FB's and direct snap it to McCoy.

We need more run game maulers for the O line.

It would be fun to watch!

58 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

It kind of sounds like you're advocating for someone in the "Cam Newton" or even "Daunte Culpepper" type of mold.  Sturdy enough to not constantly get injured when running and still okay passing in the short to intermediate range.  That's a tough skill set to come by. 

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

You'be described the single wing.

2 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I did not know that.

What I ask you..what could be more suited to Buffalo, than a Wing formation??

I like this thread!  God help us.

single wing.gif

1 minute ago, berg1029 said:

It kind of sounds like you're advocating for someone in the "Cam Newton" or even "Daunte Culpepper" type of mold.  Sturdy enough to not constantly get injured when running and still okay passing in the short to intermediate range.  That's a tough skill set to come by. 

Well I would surely take either one. But I am thinking even further maybe and have an Erick Dickerson who can throw a little bit just to keep defenses honest.

I only name Dickerson because I think he was tall. A taller running back so he can see, who can also throw 20 feet.

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I like this thread!  God help us.

single wing.gif

I love this thanks :D

4 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

The Off season is one hell of a drug 

Yeah maybe it is crazy.

Just crazy enough to work!

And no crazier than having a "game manager" on the field.

I say managers belong on the sideline! You want to have players on the field.

1 hour ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

D9DRZGg.jpg

One counter to your post

You say that TT throws the ball 7 yards or runs.....it was certainly true last year.

but what gets lost in this is when TT actually came in to be our starting QB he had a wonderful deep ball........accurate, on point, hit his targets in stride with it.

You dont lose the ability to throw it....it was a strength of his......what happened?

That long ball is not something you could just throw a running back in there and do......

My biggest gripe over the recent years is it looks like instead of playing to the strengths of the players on the team we fit players into a system that a OC would bring......

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

One counter to your post

You say that TT throws the ball 7 yards or runs.....it was certainly true last year.

but what gets lost in this is when TT actually came in to be our starting QB he had a wonderful deep ball........accurate, on point, hit his targets in stride with it.

You dont lose the ability to throw it....it was a strength of his......what happened?

That long ball is not something you could just throw a running back in there and do......

My biggest gripe over the recent years is it looks like instead of playing to the strengths of the players on the team we fit players into a system that a OC would bring......

One guess about what happened is Cordy Glenn got injured. There is no time for that. 

But still you have a guy out there who just isn't throwing long, for whatever reason.  And he can't or doesn't run a west coast type short quick passing game. 

So why have him out there? You don't need a great passer to do what he does. So why not get somebody else out there who has extra skills that he doesn't?

Just now, BadLandsMeanie said:

One guess about what happened is Cordy Glenn got injured. There is no time for that. 

But still you have a guy out there who just isn't throwing long, for whatever reason.  And he can't or doesn't run a west coast type short quick passing game. 

So why have him out there? You don't need a great passer to do what he does. So why not get somebody else out there who has extra skills that he doesn't?

Does Debole (sp) run a WC short passing game system?  Like I said decisions have been made based on the coach rather then the players......

Sporano did essentially what you are suggesting with the Dolphins, snapping to Ronnie Brown with Ricky Williams sharing the backfield.  Took the league by storm for 1 year.  Then teams basically sold out on the run, dared the wildcat back to throw on them, they couldn't and the formation was dead almost as soon as it started.

NFL defenses are simply too big and too fast to just overload it and run on them.  Without a credible pass option, the idea is DOA.

Daboll has grown as  a Coach. He said he would coach to the players strengths. He has enough exp to do that. After he meets the players and watchs tape we might start hearing from him again.

I am a fan because i think he will make some better choices to design the Offense over Dennison. Young Coach but some good experience to make us of.

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Sporano did essentially what you are suggesting with the Dolphins, snapping to Ronnie Brown with Ricky Williams sharing the backfield.  Took the league by storm for 1 year.  Then teams basically sold out on the run, dared the wildcat back to throw on them, they couldn't and the formation was dead almost as soon as it started.

NFL defenses are simply too big and too fast to just overload it and run on them.  Without a credible pass option, the idea is DOA.

and this is why Bills need to get back a speedy deep threat. Bills downfall was Defenses just loaded up for the run and short pass.
If thats what they are going to do? Then lets run that wing formation and just push them down the field with the run.

OLD School.