Mike White (WKU) the target?

PIZ

3 minutes ago, billspro said:

They have lots of WR screens in their offence. I don't think he uses the check down to often. He had a horrible oline and WR core and carried that team. 

Prospects with size, arm strength, production, and accuracy don't make it past round 3 (see Davis Webb last year). 

He does a pretty good job moving around the pocket but does have mobility concerns. It seems silly to like Rosen if you want a QB with mobility because he has mobility concerns as well. 

That's kind of how I saw it as well.  I think he has the *potential* to be a decent starter, but doesn't have the upside that some of the other QBs have.  I don't see much lacking in him, but his level of competition makes it hard to judge.

8 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

That's kind of how I saw it as well.  I think he has the *potential* to be a decent starter, but doesn't have the upside that some of the other QBs have.  I don't see much lacking in him, but his level of competition makes it hard to judge.

Would't surprise me if he was a Matt Schaub type of player with fewer turnovers. 

On 3/3/2018 at 6:44 PM, OldTimer1960 said:

Who says he doesn’t read the field well - Mike Mayock thinks he is impressive mentally and is one the best anticipation passers this year.

Mike Mayock has never proven to be a capable QB Scout. Every year he falls in love with the guys who win the underwear Olympics and almost every time those guys bust. 

White's scouting reports tell a different story. 

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 10:29 AM, MAJBobby said:

Really, might want to relook those experts. All the projections I have seen on him are a day three pick. 

Your right I dont work as a scout in the NFL but does that mean I dont know what to look for and or at in positions and then write my Own Grades like the people you so adamantly talk about having him as a 2nd round pick???

Does it mean you don't know what to look for?  Probably.  There's a reason guys like you and me talk about stuff on a message board, and why there are  guys that work for NFL teams that evaluate these players.

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

Mike Mayock has never proven to be a capable QB Scout. Every year he falls in love with the guys who win the underwear Olympics and almost every time those guys bust. 

White's scouting reports tell a different story. 

Which scouting reports are those? Inside the pylon and optimum scouting disagree. 

3 minutes ago, billspro said:

Which scouting reports are those? Inside the pylon and optimum scouting disagree. 

NFL.com. CBS Sports.

3 plays? One of which is an example of him not reading the field properly? 

5 minutes ago, billspro said:

Well CBS has Rudolph and Jackson as the top QB prospects. 

NFL.com has a lot of different people. Jerimiah and Mayock have 2nd or 3rd round grades on him. 

http://optimumscouting.weebly.com/

When it's all said and done, I expect:

Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield and Allen - top 10 picks in no particular order

Jackson - 1st round pick 

Rudolph, Falk - late 2nd/3rd round picks 

White - 3rd-4th round 

Lauletta, Ferguson, Benkert - 4th-7th round picks

The Rest - UDFAs 

My thinking; roughly 7 NFL teams need a QB, and there are 5 guys who will go in round 1. With Cousins, Keenum, Bridgewater, Bradford and possibly Foles available, the rest of the teams who need a QB will be able to find someone half decent in FA, which isn't the case most years. 

The result is that the 2nd/3rd tier guys are going to get picked later than expected. 

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

When it's all said and done, I expect:

Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield and Allen - top 10 picks in no particular order

Jackson - 1st round pick 

Rudolph, Falk - late 2nd/3rd round picks 

White - 3rd-4th round 

Lauletta, Ferguson, Benkert - 4th-7th round picks

The Rest - UDFAs 

My thinking; roughly 7 NFL teams need a QB, and there are 5 guys who will go in round 1. With Cousins, Keenum, Bridgewater, Bradford and possibly Foles available, the rest of the teams who need a QB will be able to find someone half decent in FA, which isn't the case most years. 

The result is that the 2nd/3rd tier guys are going to get picked later than expected. 

Definitely a possibility. 

This is not how I have the QBs ranked, but what I think will happen. 

Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield- top 15

White, Rudolph, Jackson- in round 2

Woodside and Lauletta- round 4-5

Benkert and Falk- round 5-6

Litton and Ferguson- 7-UDFA

2 hours ago, billspro said:

Definitely a possibility. 

This is not how I have the QBs ranked, but what I think will happen. 

Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield- top 15

White, Rudolph, Jackson- in round 2

Woodside and Lauletta- round 4-5

Benkert and Falk- round 5-6

Litton and Ferguson- 7-UDFA

I think it's extremely unlikely. 7 QBs have never been picked in the first two rounds in the history of the NFL draft. 

White might rise, and his elite arm and size might push him up past Rudolph and Falk who seem to be considered tier 2 right now. I think those guys, and the rest are going to go a lot lower than expected. I've got a hunch that Rudolph is going to go a lot lower than people expect and wind up in round 4.

Rudolph's tools are mediocre across the board. I think he's comparable to guys like Landry Jones and Bryce Petty who have done nothing in the NFL. 

White seems to compare pretty heavily to Zach Mettenberger. Big in stature, very limited mobility, big arm, etc. My concern is Zach quickly fell out of the league. 

Edited by jrober38

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I think it's extremely unlikely. 7 QBs have never been picked in the first two rounds in the history of the NFL draft. 

White might rise, and his elite arm and size might push him up past Rudolph and Falk who seem to be considered tier 2 right now. I think those guys, and the rest are going to go a lot lower than expected. I've got a hunch that Rudolph is going to go a lot lower than people expect and wind up in round 4.

His tools are mediocre across the board. I think he's comparable to guys like Landry Jones and Bryce Petty who have done nothing in the NFL. 

There are definitely going to be a couple QBs that go way lower than expected on draft day. I think one of the big 4 will fall out of the top ten. You are probably right about one of the second tier guys dropping as well. It could even be Lamar Jackson.

I have Falk going way lower than people expect. 

2 minutes ago, billspro said:

There are definitely going to be a couple QBs that go way lower than expected on draft day. I think one of the big 4 will fall out of the top ten. You are probably right about one of the second tier guys dropping as well. It could even be Lamar Jackson.

I have Falk going way lower than people expect. 

Agree about Falk. That system doesn't produce NFL QBs and his tools aren't great. 

I think some systems will like Jackson more than expected after watching what Desean Jackson did last year. 

I think the top 4 are locks for the top 15 and think they all wind up top 10.

The rest of the guys simply aren't very good. 

Will be interesting to see what happens. I think we'll try to trade up for whichever QB falls to around 10th overall. 

Edited by jrober38

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

Agree about Falk. That system doesn't produce NFL QBs and his tools aren't great. 

I think some systems will like Jackson more than expected after watching what Desean Jackson did last year. 

I think the top 4 are locks for the top 15 and think they all wind up top 10.

The rest of the guys simply aren't very good. 

Will be interesting to see what happens. I think we'll try to trade up for whichever QB falls to around 10th overall. 

I hope we get Darnold in that scenario 

7 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

His pocket awareness is, from what I've read, his achilles heel. He reminds me of Bledsoe in that regard. I'd be ok if the Bills took a guy like LJackson in the 1st and doubled down with White.

Interesting take for sure, and i get your meaning.
How much do the Bills feel they must draft a Franchise QB this year?
Thats not saying anything about drafting up or down.

Just do not want them to get all EJ Manuel this year from Fans screaming Ha Ha

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/3/2018 at 9:56 AM, RyanC883 said:

Wouldn't mind him in the 2nd round at all.  I think he's a better prospect than Rudolph, IMO.  

My ideal draft/QB scenario: 

1.  Veteran (Cousins, Bradford, Keenum).  

2.  Draft DL/pass rusher at 21, 22.  Instantly have a top D with a pass rush and our secondary. 

3.  Draft QB in second, trading up if necessary to grab Luke Falk, Mike White, etc.  Jump to top of second if L. Jackson is somehow still there.  

i like this but Preston brown is gone, mcD needs a stud LB to run his D.  i'd love to see DT and LB in the 1st, then a vet and best qb avail in 2nd

13 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

i like this but Preston brown is gone, mcD needs a stud LB to run his D.  i'd love to see DT and LB in the 1st, then a vet and best qb avail in 2nd

I suppose the "pass rusher" at 21/22 could be the stud LB.  Not sure what stud LB may be around then.  Who do you recommend we target?  (I am very thin at my knowledge of college players.)  

13 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

I would love this. Vander Esch or Rashan Evans along with a DT at 21/22, then QB in the 2nd and sign a vet.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/6/2018 at 11:02 AM, RyanC883 said:

I suppose the "pass rusher" at 21/22 could be the stud LB.  Not sure what stud LB may be around then.  Who do you recommend we target?  (I am very thin at my knowledge of college players.)  

The beauty is there are 4 or 5 great DT's and 4 or 5 great LB's in this draft.   Man if only we had a qb, just sitting tight would be such a perfect move for us in April.

A guy like Evans or Vander Esch will be there, but even Roaquan could fall to us.   There are always a few dudes that just go in the early 20's that everyone had top ten.   That's where you can steal them.

59 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

The beauty is there are 4 or 5 great DT's and 4 or 5 great LB's in this draft.   Man if only we had a qb, just sitting tight would be such a perfect move for us in April.

A guy like Evans or Vander Esch will be there, but even Roaquan could fall to us.   There are always a few dudes that just go in the early 20's that everyone had top ten.   That's where you can steal them.

if we had "our" QB, this draft would be perfect for us.  I'm hoping someone falls to us.  Your right, I do feel like every year some "top 10" LB/DT falls into the 20's.  

• 4 weeks later...

I've mentioned this before, but if you read everything that Brandon Beane has said he looks for in a quarterback, size, accuracy, arm strength, winning from the pocket etc etc, there are three guys in this draft who fit the bill...Darnold, Rosen, and White. If they can't get into position to draft one of the top two, White makes some sense as a later round project. White is not some lower level player as he started games as a true freshman at South Florida. He is also a former baseball player and McDermott likes that. I will say he is a third round pick imo. 

• Like (+1) 1