What are your top 5 QB's in this years draft??

I’m a big fan of Rudolph to be honest. I think he’s very underrated on here.

I see it like this:

1. Rosen

2. Rudolph

3. Darnold

4. Mayfield

5. Jackson

Josh Allen

1. Josh Rosen- As far as a QB who can make all the throws that NFL QB's make, that's Josh Rosen, plenty of arm strength and were now learning that his teammates do like him and these stories are all BS like usual, the whole he doesn't like football ninsense is because his family comes from money therefore he doesn't "need" it more than those who don't come from money.

2- Lamar Jackson- He has the arm, what would his comp % be if his WR core hadn't dropped 38 passes? This guy is a highlight reel every time he plays either with his feet or with his arm. He hasn't even reached his full potential and the kid has a great attitude about everything. I think he'll be what Mike Vick was supposed to become before his jail time. 

3. Sam Darnold- The comparisons to Luck are somewhat head scratching, he has a decent live arm but Luck never had the quirky throwing motion, can he correct that? Maybe it will work for him like Phillip Rivers weird side arm type of delivery. He had a bunch of turnovers, that has to be alarming, I'm not sure I trust him to start from day 1.

4. Josh Allen- He made the best out of having absolutely 0 talent around him, nobody on his OL,TE,WR or RB is listed as being a drafted prospect so the fact that he did what he did may speak volumes for Allen. His arm is the best in this class by a far margin and I saw a very accurate precision thrower in Allen at the Senior bowl, he was throwing those passes into the tightest windows and making it look easy.

5. Baker Mayfield- To me he's the biggest wildcard in this draft, he comes off to me as a giant douche, I want my QB to be cocky and walk around with a chip but his chip almost seems self entitled. His attitude reminds me much of what I thought about manziel but you can see the passion on gameday so I don't know if I'd be getting Russell Wilson or Johnny Manziel and to trade up fro a 6'0" 7/8 QB I don't want any concerns at all but I have a bunch with Mayfield. If the Bills select him then obviosuly I'm jumping right aboard the Mayfield train at least for awhile. 

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

A lot of bubble screens? Rudoloh did most definitely NOT throw a lot of bubble screens. His average air yards per completion is the highest of the QBs in contention to go in the 1st. There are questions about the mental transition, definitely, I don't think he is as bad as progressions as you do but there is certainly a question about the mental transition from a simple offense to a complex NFL one. But the bubble screen comment is just wrong. He threw fewer screens than Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield. 

Maybe I went overboard with the bubble screen. One of the scouting reports that I had read said that on just about every play Rudolph would execute a play fake before throwing a either a bubble screen, slant, quick out or occasional deep ball.  

I’ve watched about 7-8 of his games life over his tenure as starter.  I’ve recently watched 2 from 2017.  It just seemed to me, that when HE had to make a play outside of his initial read, he looked frazzled.  If he was forced from the pocket, he looked 10xs worse.  Being the QB of an offense that has guys running wide open all game doesn’t say much about the QB imo.  OSU had guys running wide open.  That’s not going to happen in the NfL.  He’s going to have to read the D and make decisions based on what the D gives him.  Not just one read once the ball is snapped like his did at OSU.  

I get why people like him.  He’s big.  He connected pretty well on the deep ball, he’s not afraid to throw it and he had major production.  I just don’t like what I see.  

If we draft him, I’ll be skeptical but I’ll be all in....until I’m not.  

Edit:  https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/2018-nfl-draft-qb-mason-rudolph-scouting-report-fit-with-bills/ar-BBIoWy9 

the scouting report where I got the bubble screen insight.

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think you have it right that at Oklahoma the offense is 80-90% RPO.   So is it that he's "way below average", or he just wasn't asked to do it very much?   I believe that's where Beane made the point, you can't hold it against these QB what they were asked to do, you find out what they know and how they can process and retain information. 

I'm not as "down" on Rudolph as you are, but I favor Mayfield and Jackson over him because I see him as having a slower processor; I'm not sure it's his 1st read, maybe it's his 2nd, but he'll be slower (IMO) making decisions and take the safe course (throw it away) because the higher DOD throw is gone by the time he thinks about it.  I'm not sure if that's something that can be sped up.  Mayfield is clearly better at making decisions.

I also think Rudolph runs like a busted mower in high grass and doesn't have as good "pocket sense" for just taking that little dip or step to avoid pressure, and he's at higher risk to be hurt because of it.

He does run like a busted mower in high grass.  Good comparison.  Lol.  

I guess my biggest peave with him is his decisiveness.  He doesn’t seem have the instincts or the confidence that I’m looking for, especially for a guy with so many games under his belt.

Edited by NewEra

22 minutes ago, McBean said:

I’m a big fan of Rudolph to be honest. I think he’s very underrated on here.

I see it like this:

1. Rosen

2. Rudolph

3. Darnold

4. Mayfield

5. Jackson

..probably another of my unsubstantiated yaps, but I could see McBeane looking Rudolph at 21/22, a safe yet unsexy pick while preserving "moving up" draft capital......he could even go OL/DL or DL/OL (depending on preference) with a LB thrown in the mix hoping Rudolph falls to the 2nd as some have forecasted.....so maybe he takes Rudolph or has no problem moving into the next "tier" of Falk, Lauletta or White.....HIS gray matter and OUR guesswork as to what he is thinking....

• Like (+1) 1

1 Sam Darnold....he's a tough grinder who just makes plays. He will require some development. He has the "it" factor more than any other qb. Great character. 

2. Josh Rosen....as a Bruin alum and lifetime ticket holder I've seen every snap. He's a better passer than Darnold and is plug and play pro ready. I do still have concerns about his personality and fragility. But he's worth trading up for.

3. Lamar Jackson....he's my sleeper pick.  Faster and more athletic than TT and more willing to make the throws and take risks. He will have to put on some muscle mass to prevent injuries.

4. Baker Mayfield....if he was 2 inches taller he'd  pass everyone! Another passionate fiery leader who's very accurate. He's not Manziel but he might also NOT be Brees?  Some risk here.

5. Mason Rudolph....yes he's got small hands and played in a spread conference with no defences. Still like his size, deep ball. If he fell to 2nd round I'd pick him.

I have no idea, because I do not follow college football.

The people who do follow college football, still have no idea, including all the experts.

It's a crapshoot, if anyone thinks otherwise they're delusional IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, T-Bomb said:

I have no idea, because I do not follow college football.

The people who do follow college football, still have no idea, including all the experts.

It's a crapshoot, if anyone thinks otherwise they're delusional IMO.

I think the big thing is scheme, injuries, supporting cast and coaching, those are variables experts can't see. You may have a slightly above average prospect go to a team with a great coach with a scheme that fits him perfectly. On the other side of the coin, you may have an elite player like Darnold or Rosen go to a team like the Cleveland Browns where no amount of skill can elevate that franchise which is why Rosen doesn't want to go there, he knows they'll ruin him, same goes for Eli and the Chargers.

3 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I think the big thing is scheme, injuries, supporting cast and coaching, those are variables experts can't see. You may have a slightly above average prospect go to a team with a great coach with a scheme that fits him perfectly. On the other side of the coin, you may have an elite player like Darnold or Rosen go to a team like the Cleveland Browns where no amount of skill can elevate that franchise which is why Rosen doesn't want to go there, he knows they'll ruin him, same goes for Eli and the Chargers.

Sure, I can agree with the part that some franchises can ruin a QB.  Unfortunately, Buffalo is one of them I think...

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, T-Bomb said:

Sure, I can agree with the part that some franchises can ruin a QB.  Unfortunately, Buffalo is one of them I think...

I hope we go the 'slightly above average QB prospect that really fits our scheme' route. Same goes for a free agent QB, if you have somebody like Case Keenum and you think he fits your scheme' like a glove, I'd much rather prefer we go that way. Expecting a 20-something-year-old to save a franchise is foolish. Too much pressure and I think that's why QBs have a high bust rate and is such a crap shoot, I don't care who we draft, we need a bridge and we need to bring the rookie along slowly, take all the pressure off him. If you have to even question whether or not he's ready, that means he is not ready. Sit him on the bench until the game is so slow to him that he's aggravated that he's not out there.

14 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I hope we go the 'slightly above average QB prospect that really fits our scheme' route. Same goes for a free agent QB, if you have somebody like Case Keenum and you think he fits your scheme' like a glove, I'd much rather prefer we go that way. Expecting a 20-something-year-old to save a franchise is foolish. Too much pressure and I think that's why QBs have a high bust rate and is such a crap shoot, I don't care who we draft, we need a bridge and we need to bring the rookie along slowly, take all the pressure off him. If you have to even question whether or not he's ready, that means he is not ready. Sit him on the bench until the game is so slow to him that he's aggravated that he's not out there.

I agree with all that, but coaches do not get enough time these days to do it that way...

Edited by T-Bomb

11 hours ago, NewEra said:

Maybe I went overboard with the bubble screen. One of the scouting reports that I had read said that on just about every play Rudolph would execute a play fake before throwing a either a bubble screen, slant, quick out or occasional deep ball.  

I’ve watched about 7-8 of his games life over his tenure as starter.  I’ve recently watched 2 from 2017.  It just seemed to me, that when HE had to make a play outside of his initial read, he looked frazzled.  If he was forced from the pocket, he looked 10xs worse.  Being the QB of an offense that has guys running wide open all game doesn’t say much about the QB imo.  OSU had guys running wide open.  That’s not going to happen in the NfL.  He’s going to have to read the D and make decisions based on what the D gives him.  Not just one read once the ball is snapped like his did at OSU.  

I get why people like him.  He’s big.  He connected pretty well on the deep ball, he’s not afraid to throw it and he had major production.  I just don’t like what I see.  

If we draft him, I’ll be skeptical but I’ll be all in....until I’m not.  

Edit:  https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/2018-nfl-draft-qb-mason-rudolph-scouting-report-fit-with-bills/ar-BBIoWy9 

the scouting report where I got the bubble screen insight.

He does run like a busted mower in high grass.  Good comparison.  Lol.  

I guess my biggest peave with him is his decisiveness.  He doesn’t seem have the instincts or the confidence that I’m looking for, especially for a guy with so many games under his belt.

I agree there are question marks on his ability to translate - I am not as skeptical as you but I do think it is the biggest question mark.

The biggest positive is his intermediate range accuracy which is the best in this class in my opinion. 

The "bubble screen" thing for me comes because people see him playing in a wide open college spread and presume "bubble screens" but when you watch the tape there is a noticeable lack of any sort of screen in the Oklahoma St offense. They throw very few behind the line or 1 and 2 yards past the line routes.