Vikings Will Make a Strong Push for Cousins in UFA

26CornerBlitz

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/03/pro-football-focuss-numbers-say-kirk-cousins/

As we head into the final week before free agency, there is a new report almost every day that connects the Minnesota Vikings to top free agent quarterback Kirk Cousins.

We have looked at what the film tells us about his game. Now for the analytics based on Pro Football Focus’s first edition of its “Quarterback Annual.”

While PFF’s grades have been widely debated, their tracking data is used by nearly every NFL team, including the Vikings. So there’s a lot we can learn about how Cousins plays and what he might need to be successful in Minnesota. Let’s have a look…

Despite reports that the Vikings have offered a deal to Kirk Cousins, Tom Pelissero reports the prized free agent is keeping his options open and there's no impending deal with the QB and the Vikes.

Appearing on Tuesday's edition of Up to the Minute Live, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero shut down whispers of a covert agreement that would send Cousins to Minnesota.

"I know there was one word out of Washington today that the Vikingsalready have offered Cousins a three-year, $91 million fully guaranteed contract," Pelissero said. "I spoke to people that I trust with knowledge of this situation who say those numbers are absolutely false. The Vikings have not made any offer to Kirk Cousins.

I'm not so sure that if Cousins signs with Minnesota it would be bad for the Bills. If that happens I wouldn't be surprised if Denver turns around and signs Keenum which would put their pick potentially in play. And no one knows where McCarron will end up either at this point. Stay Tuned...

Edited by DefenseWins

On 2/26/2018 at 9:04 PM, Augie said:

His dollar/talent ratio has to be the most amazing ever!

I’m not saying he’s not good, just he’s making some serious coin. 

Most amazing ever, ohno.  Keep in mind before 2011, rookie QB who hadn't proved a thing could shake their drafting teams down for whatever.  JaBustus Russell got $39M for doing nothing.  Ryan Leaf, $31M.  Sam Bradford got $65M from the Rams for whom he threw 59 TD - that's $1.1M/TD

Cousins may get $120M with $90 guaranteed, but if he continues to perform as he has the last 3 years, his dollar/talent ratio will be much much higher.

11 hours ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

It is. And with all the teams being discussed I can almost guarantee there is at least 1 team hiding in the shadows...lurking. Something sure smells "fishy".

Oh I like the lurker idea. Ok possible off the radar lurkers:

Houston- I know Watson looked great but he is hurt and was playing in a revised college offense, same thing Shannahan did for RG3. I fear that when O'Brien decides he wants Watson to run his full pro offense, he will struggle. They could sign Cousins and flip Watson for a first. 

Bengals- They could easily sign Cousins and trade Dalton with little cap ramifications. 

Possibly our Bills as well. 

I could see the Dolphins or Ravens, but they have zero cap. 

14 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Oh I like the lurker idea. Ok possible off the radar lurkers:

Houston- I know Watson looked great but he is hurt and was playing in a revised college offense, same thing Shannahan did for RG3. I fear that when O'Brien decides he wants Watson to run his full pro offense, he will struggle. They could sign Cousins and flip Watson for a first. 

Bengals- They could easily sign Cousins and trade Dalton with little cap ramifications. 

Possibly our Bills as well. 

I could see the Dolphins or Ravens, but they have zero cap. 

Dolphins have no cap but have a ton of room to make it. 

Trade Landry or remove the tag- $16.2 million

Cut or trade Tannehill- 17.5 million

Cut/trade Ju'wan James- 9 million

Cut Julius Thomas- 6.6 million

Cut/Trade Suh (post June 1st cut)- 17 million.

They just traded for Robert Quinn which they could view as the replacement for Suh (productivity wise). Thomas and James have been reported to be goners and Tannehill wouldn't be needed if Cousins is there. 

Edited by KelsaysLunchbox
  • Like (+1) 1

On 2/27/2018 at 4:52 AM, njbuff said:

I don't get the love affair about the Broncos.

You think that Denver signing a QB is instantly gonna make them a contender like PM did?

That team has been in serious decline since their SB win and they aren't drafting 5th overall for nothing. 

They are a bad team now. FACT.

They are better off just getting their young QB now and getting it over with.

The Broncos Defense ranked 30th in points given up, and 3rd in yards given up. 

When there's that big of a disparity, look for the reason why.

In the case of Denver, they ranked 31st in the league for interceptions with 22.  That suggests their D was frequently being put into a position to defend against bad field position while not putting up enough points to overcome that (27th in PPG).  I  believe Denver thinks if they can turn that around, they still have a window and I'm not sure they're wrong. 

But they're drafting high enough that they don't have to make it an either/or proposition.  If they've decided to go for Keenum, chances are they do still intend to draft a young QB high, they just have their eye on one they think needs to sit for a year or 2 - maybe even someone they think they can trade down to get.  If Keenum turns out to be "Mr Franchise" for them, they can always showcase the rookie in preseason and a strategic game or 2, and trade him for something yummy in a year or 2.

Edit: I'm not sure they're right, either.  I think they need a major upgrade on OL, younger WR, and I'm skeptical of Vance Joseph and Bill Musgrave.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

On 3/4/2018 at 11:48 AM, Real McCoy said:

It would nice to see the Bills in the running at least to show that we are serious about fixing our biggest problem. Still pisses me off to the Day how we just ignored Bress due to Losman and Edwards back in the day. I'm not saying Cousins is Bress but he would be the best QB we had is so long. I really hope Beane has the plan for the draft or this thing could blow up.

The story I always heard was Brees left the Saints unhappy with their offer, got on the plane to come to Buffalo on his next visit and the Saints upped their offer to not let him get out of town.

59 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Most amazing ever, ohno.  Keep in mind before 2011, rookie QB who hadn't proved a thing could shake their drafting teams down for whatever.  JaBustus Russell got $39M for doing nothing.  Ryan Leaf, $31M.  Sam Bradford got $65M from the Rams for whom he threw 59 TD - that's $1.1M/TD

Cousins may get $120M with $90 guaranteed, but if he continues to perform as he has the last 3 years, his dollar/talent ratio will be much much higher.

Fixing the rookie wage structure is one of the best things to happen to football since the forward pass. It had gotten to the point that having the first pick in the draft could cripple you....THAT is not good. 

As for Cousins, he’s played the game well. Getting Franchised multiple times despite not being truly elite, then hitting the market to find the highest bidder is a good place for him to be. He’ll get a huge contract just because they only go up and teams are desperate for a decent QB. 

Edited by Augie