Panthers releasing S Kurt Coleman, DE Charles Johnson

YoloinOhio

Tre Boston and Kurt Coleman are BOTH scheduled to be free agents.

I'd love it if the Bills were able to sign one of them to a reasonable deal. Not only would it be valuable to have an experienced backup in the event that Hyde or Poyer is injured (does anyone want to see Colt Anderson get snaps on defense?!), it would also allow McDermott/Frazier to deploy 3-safety schemes. Buffalo Nickel type personnel. It would improve depth and increase scheme versatility.

And if Coleman is the one chosen, as someone else mentioned, it wouldn't count in the compensatory pick formula. 

• Like (+1) 1

One more thing: I'm convinced McDermott is "The Safety Whisperer". 

First, he turned career-long backup Kurt Coleman (10 interceptions in 5 years) into a quality starter in 2015 (7 interceptions that year).

Then, upon coming to Buffalo, he took S/CB tweener Micah Hyde and Browns special teamer Jordan Poyer and turned them into arguably the best safety tandem in the league.

I'm not sure how he does it, but it's pretty undeniable. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Logic said:

Tre Boston and Kurt Coleman are BOTH scheduled to be free agents.

I'd love it if the Bills were able to sign one of them to a reasonable deal. Not only would it be valuable to have an experienced backup in the event that Hyde or Poyer is injured (does anyone want to see Colt Anderson get snaps on defense?!), it would also allow McDermott/Frazier to deploy 3-safety schemes. Buffalo Nickel type personnel. It would improve depth and increase scheme versatility.

And if Coleman is the one chosen, as someone else mentioned, it wouldn't count in the compensatory pick formula. 

How much $ would you pay him?  Sure, he’d be nice, but we have LOTS of holes.  I’d rather we pay our backup safety under 2.5 mill.  I do like the idea of having a quality player as backup, I just don’t think it’ll come cheap enough,  I expect Boston to make more that Coleman 

14 minutes ago, NewEra said:

How much $ would you pay him?  Sure, he’d be nice, but we have LOTS of holes.  I’d rather we pay our backup safety under 2.5 mill.  I do like the idea of having a quality player as backup, I just don’t think it’ll come cheap enough,  I expect Boston to make more that Coleman 

I agree that I don't want to spend a lot.

HOWEVER...there's also no guarantee that Coleman gets offered that much on the open market. He may be more valuable to McDermott than to other coaches.

IF he can be had for a reasonable contract, then I'm all in. Certainly, if he wants a big payday or a guaranteed starting spot, then no dice.

I will also say that, given McDermott's history of employing extra safeties in obvious passing situations, he would likely get more playing time as a "backup" in Buffalo than he would elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

I agree that I don't want to spend a lot.

HOWEVER...there's also no guarantee that Coleman gets offered that much on the open market. He may be more valuable to McDermott than to other coaches.

IF he can be had for a reasonable contract, then I'm all in. Certainly, if he wants a big payday or a guaranteed starting spot, then no dice.

I will also say that, given McDermott's history of employing extra safeties in obvious passing situations, he would likely get more playing time as a "backup" in Buffalo than he would elsewhere.

Add to that, I think he was only successful under McDermott. He was originally in philly as a late round pick and did nothing there, then he was the “Jordan Poyer” signing of the panthers a few years ago where no one expected him to do anything but became a major contributor. 

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Add to that, I think he was only successful under McDermott. He was originally in philly as a late round pick and did nothing there, then he was the “Jordan Poyer” signing of the panthers a few years ago where no one expected him to do anything but became a major contributor. 

Exactly. If he values production, coaching, and a chance to contribute, the Bills are a good fit.

If he thinks he can get a big payday or a guaranteed starting spot (I personally doubt that any team is willing to give him either), then let him seek it out elsewhere.

5 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

That’s all that matters 

I'm just saying with Beane saying he was going to play the comp pick game, signing released players is the best way to make that work. The Patriots have been doing it for years. This is true with the Davis signing as well. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Would love both of those guys, when are they releasing Keuchley?

Realistically I could see that happening after this upcoming season, but who knows? There is a potential out in the contract after 2018 where the dead money isn't bad. 

7 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Realistically I could see that happening after this upcoming season, but who knows? There is a potential out in the contract after 2018 where the dead money isn't bad. 

If We still need a LB I'm all in.

6 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

I really hope that guy retires. He's a likeable guy and he's not even going to know who he is a year too

Nah, who needs memory.

1 minute ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

If the price is right, why not?

Would surely be kicking ourselves for not at least seeing what he's asking for if Poyer or Hyde go down next season for any significant amount of time. 

Indeed. It's not a fun thing to talk about, but the Bills stayed remarkably healthy at key positions last year. If Hyde or Poyer went down, we'd have been looking at defensive snaps for Colt Anderson or Shamarko Thomas. And both of THOSE guys are set to be free agents!

Sign Coleman or Tre Boston to be the third safety. Whoever comes cheaper (probably Coleman). Then draft a guy late for that 4th safety/special teams spot, or bring back Thomas for vet minimum.