If You Ever Want a Top Rated QB Prospect...You Have to Suffer

7 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

The Biggest problem with this team was a lack of quality GM, coaching, and scouting dept to find a high caliber talent in the first place. Second, to allow him to survive long enough to develop properly.

Trent Edwards looked like a young Joe Montana at first (2008) and after several severe concussions behind bad lines with terribad coaching(Turk Schonert, AVP), a bad scheme ( A WCO QB in a Mike Martz deep passing scheme) he became a bad QB. Just like JP Losman, EJ.

Shoot, EJ didn't even have the luxury of a QB coach in his first season in Buffalo, nor did he have a veteran QB to help show him the ropes. All he had was an OC who had never been an NFL OC previously. Talk about a ridiculously stupid way to develop a QB. To draft a rookie QB in the first round only to not give him the proper means to develop. He was supposed to sit for a season to develop and even that wouldn't have helped at all with nobody to teach him. EJ stated he learned far more from watching Kyle Orton prepare for a game than from any coaching. 

This new HC, GM, OC, and scouting dept should be able to determine a high caliber QB from the top six and then draft, develop him properly. This, for the first time in nearly a decade. 

Exactly, We have had  a lackluster consortium of coaches, gm's and scouts in the past 20 odd years. We finally got all three , IMO, and they can  sift the prospects and come up with one, no matter what it costs in draft picks , if they think he is the one. Maybe they fail, from what i have seen in the years following the Bill's it was a common occurrence. I have faith that our  people will win, if we give them the opportunity.

Edited by Wily Dog
sp.

2 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

It makes me sad when I see you post here now Leroi now that you don't have any inside info. You're like the washed up mean girl who peaked in high school and loses her looks who returns to her high school reunion to relive her glory days, only to find that no one really ever liked her and she's lost the only thing that made people tolerate her. In short, you are the Tara Reid of TBD.

10.jpg

What are you taking about?

I can’t believe I’m conversing with someone so paranoid to think that I’m another member. 

I see an underlying condition that I’m not going to exploit. 

Please accept my apology Irish, I didn’t realize. 

9567BE55-7D35-44FA-9066-5B37F24BB2B9.jpeg

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, it's true.  I've posted a breakdown of QB drafted through the first 5 rounds using hard numeric criteria.  Search if you like.  Mid - Jan "QB Draft Results" or something like that.

Someone else did it by "TLAR" (that looks about right) and achieved similar results.

I didn't break out the top 2 picks in that one, just the top 5, so I'll do that here:

1998-2016 top 5 rounds 

Criteria: Completion %; YPA; TD/INT (chosen because they correlate to winning).  Same criteria used all 5 rounds

Pick #1,2: 19 QB.  Yes: 11/19, 58%.  Maybe: 3/18, 16%.  Yes + Maybe = 75%

Yes: Goff, Wentz, Winston, Mariota, Luck, Griffin (inj), Bradford(inj), Stafford,Alex Smith,Palmer, P. Manning (11)

Maybe (No by criteria, but most people would say Y): Newton, Eli Manning, McNabb (3)

No: Russell, Carr, Vick, Couch, Leaf (5)

Pick 1-5 50%

Pick 6-32 19%

2nd round: 20%

3rd round: 15%

4th round: 10%

5th round: no one really (AJ McCarron and Craig Nall, neither played more than 7 games)

You can debate names - maybe you score Newton and E. Manning "yes" and RGIII and Bradford "no" - doesn't change the conclusion.

Ahhh, if we're talking about FRANCHISE QB in the first 2 picks, I think your definition may be a bit lenient.  A Franchise QB should win championships.

How many of your"YES" have taken their team to a conference champ game?  Not even won the game, just played in it.

Maybe 1?  P. Manning?

33 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Ahhh, if we're talking about FRANCHISE QB in the first 2 picks, I think your definition may be a bit lenient.  A Franchise QB should win championships.

How many of your"YES" have taken their team to a conference champ game?  Not even won the game, just played in it.

Maybe 1?  P. Manning?

'Franchise QB' means many things to many people.   If you want to talk about it, you need to start with defining exactly what it means to you.  If it means "QB of a team that wins championships" or even "plays in conf. Championship, you're going to find yourself going "yes, but....yes, but" a lot when people bring up Trent Dilfer and so forth.  Then you'll start sticking in caveats and you may wind up where other folks do "I can't define it exactly but I know it when I see it".  

To other people, it means the guy who QB the team capably for years and years, giving the team a chance to win.  That means he completes passes, gobbles up yards (not a "checkdown artist"), and consistently throws more TD than INT year after year.  Put a good defense on the other side of the ball and give him some weapons and you have a chance to go deep into the playoffs every year.

There are a bunch of very good QB who almost everyone would acknowledge as very very good QB, QB we would take on our team in a heartbeat, who have not won championships because their team has failed to put enough players around them.  Philip Rivers for example.  

I don't think my definition is "too lenient", but I'll be happy to listen to anything else that is clearly defined

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

'Franchise QB' means many things to many people.   If you want to talk about it, you need to start with defining exactly what it means to you.  If it means "QB of a team that wins championships" or even "plays in conf. Championship, you're going to find yourself going "yes, but....yes, but" a lot when people bring up Trent Dilfer and so forth.  Then you'll start sticking in caveats and you may wind up where other folks do "I can't define it exactly but I know it when I see it".  

To other people, it means the guy who QB the team capably for years and years, giving the team a chance to win.  That means he completes passes, gobbles up yards (not a "checkdown artist"), and consistently throws more TD than INT year after year.  Put a good defense on the other side of the ball and give him some weapons and you have a chance to go deep into the playoffs every year.

There are a bunch of very good QB who almost everyone would acknowledge as very very good QB, QB we would take on our team in a heartbeat, who have not won championships because their team has failed to put enough players around them.  Philip Rivers for example.  

I don't think my definition is "too lenient", but I'll be happy to listen to anything else that is clearly defined

I think you are pretty spot on in my opinion.

There are only a few QBS that will give you a chance to win the super bowl every single year. (Brady, Rodgers for sure, maybe Brees and Ben?) 

I would for sure say Rivers is a franchise QB as the team/coaching around him over the last 8 years with the exception of last year has been pretty bad.

If he got drafted by the Steelers in that 2004 draft I think he would easily have at least 1 ring

Edited by billsfan11

10 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Sammy was not a missed shot. JP was.

Besides that, not all missed shots are bad

Love seeing that great old memory again.

But yeah, the Sammy thing was a huge failure. I guess you can argue that the shot wasn't the miss, the assist (the trade) was. Fair enough. But overall a huge failure. Not a lot of question about that at this point.

On 2/24/2018 at 2:07 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

How is 9-7, 8-8, 7-9, and 9-7 with one playoff appearance bad?  Mediocre granted, but certainly not bad. 

Yeah, I agree with this. People have been projecting the entire drought on this current team, but the Bills have not been a bad team for years now.

They've had holes and have had bad aspects, but overall they have been right around average for years.

This team is close to being good. Plug a couple holes and find a good QB and we'll contend.

• 3 weeks later...