Mike Mayock: There is no Carson Wentz in this QB class; wouldn’t put one in his top 5

YoloinOhio

11 minutes ago, Putin said:

Is there anyone on ESPN or any other network that used  be a  scout  for an NFL team ( QB’s in particular ) ? 

Bucky Brooks and Daniel Jeremiah were both scouts.  Jeremiah worked for the Ravens, Brooks for Seattle.  And teams don't assign scouts by position, they assign scouts by geography.  

23 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

This would be a good move for the Browns. They could then trade the #4 pick to parlay a better rebuild around Cousins.

If Josh Gordon  is reformed , oh boy. Sammy Watkins says hello again . 

Edited by ALF

49 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Bucky Brooks and Daniel Jeremiah were both scouts.  Jeremiah worked for the Ravens, Brooks for Seattle.  And teams don't assign scouts by position, they assign scouts by geography.  

I like Jeremiah's insight as well because he was a starting college quarterback. Between that and his scouting background, he is one of my favorite guys to listen to. Louis Riddick is also a former player, scout, and was a director of pro personnel. I like listening to Mayock, but I think Riddick and Jeramiah's insight hold the most weight. 

5 hours ago, Buddo said:

These days, it's very often the case, that from a purely grading standard, a QB isn't in the top 5 overall. Trouble is, once you factor in 'need', they leap up boards, often to the extent of a round early, but in the first, it's more that they leapfrog places.

None of the above means that the QBs are bad, just that they are overvalued.

I don't recall Mayock beating the drum for Wentz, but I may not have been paying attention to the top two QBs, as we weren't getting one. ;(

I do recall him beating the drum for Matt Ryan, and he has been right about him.

For whatever reason, I get the sense that Mayock is nowhere near finished with watching film of a lot of the QB prospects, and that there's a lot of room for him to change his mind. There's also still quite a lot of time for that to happen, as well.

Mayock stated that he thought Wentz could be the next Andrew Luck and he had Wentz first overall.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/2/23/11100878/nfl-draft-2016-mike-mayock-carson-wentz-andrew-luck-jared-goff

I can also recall Mayock banging the drum for Joe Flacco.

Mayock was also smart enough to have Aaron Maybin tied for 5th best OLB that year and he had Orakpo, Cushing, and Matthews ahead of him. 

It's all a crapshoot really and so much depends on where a QB goes, who his coaches are that develop him and what kind of system is he placed in. The Bills drafted Trent Edwards a WCO QB out of Stanford and forced a Mike Martz deep passing scheme on him with clowns like Turk Schonert as his OC. 

MAyock also thought Blaine Gabbert was a better qb than Cam Newton, so if he was a GM, he would have been fired long before he got to pick Wentz.

these guys should be taken as entertainment. Nothing more. But I did know the way to 100% not get a Carson Wentz (who's backup looked just as good and won a SB).  Don't draft one early. I never will bash the JP and EJ picks because at least the team took a shot.  And since Kellywas picked, those have been are only 1st qbs in 30 years !!! 

But we'll just take one next year and hope some 5th rounder or cast off will get the job done.