Eggs: White or Brown

Nanker

7 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

It varies.

Mrs. Bandit and I are in an egg share with local organic farms, so we've had all colors/types.  White, off-white, yellow, blue, green, pink...and they all taste exactly the same :lol:

The thing to look for, IMO, is the color of the yolk--it should be a deep, dark orange, which is indicative of a hen that's foraged for insects and worms.

Equally as important (or moreso IMO) as yolk color (which can be influenced by a variety of diet-related factors, some of which have no bearing on the overall quality of the egg, aesthetically or nutritionally), is yolk composition ie: the definition between yolk and white...does your yolk stand up in the pan surrounded by the white, or does it flatten out? Does it break when you drop the egg from the shell and leak out into the white or does it remain intact? Is there a membrane-like film surrounding the yolk which contributes to its structural integrity? Is it hard(er) to incorporate the yolk and the white when you whip them in a bowl to make scrambled eggs? The more intact, firm, and distinct your yolk is from your white is to me the surest sign of a good egg.

On 2/15/2018 at 9:38 PM, Misterbluesky said:

It's all dead aborted chicken juice..what did you expect? Wash it all down with a glass of white cow puss and life goes from horrific to euphoric in 15 minutes of morning glory.eat more oatmeal..

Reminds me of a joke I heard years ago......

D7D86A49-E10A-4FAE-871D-351418470F2D.jpeg

2 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Reminds me of a joke I heard years ago......

D7D86A49-E10A-4FAE-871D-351418470F2D.jpeg

Reminds me of a story. I was working the counter at my dad's restaurant one morning.  I was a naive teenager and this old farmer comes in and sits down.

Me: What can I get you?

Farmer: Two eggs please

Me:  How would you like them cooked?

Farmer: Staring at me like a naked lady

Me: :huh:

Farmer:  Sunny side up boy!  Sunny side up!! 

• Haha (+1) 1

23 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

It varies.

Mrs. Bandit and I are in an egg share with local organic farms, so we've had all colors/types.  White, off-white, yellow, blue, green, pink...and they all taste exactly the same :lol:

The thing to look for, IMO, is the color of the yolk--it should be a deep, dark orange, which is indicative of a hen that's foraged for insects and worms.

As someone who is not supposed to eat yolks because of cholesterol I wonder how much difference on taste of the white part of the eggs.

On 2/15/2018 at 3:36 PM, 145B4IDIE said:

depends on the hen breed, can also be a red or geenish hue . you can rest assured you're getting fresher eggs if they're local though

I'm pretty sure you meant green as I once had a green egg in a dozen from a friend's chickens. I seized the opportunity and had green egg and ham.
True story.

On 2/15/2018 at 8:34 PM, Augie said:

But really, do you know if there’s any real difference? Now I’m curious! Why do people insist on cluttering my mind with this nonsense? 

No, the color of the egg has absolutely no difference on the yolk and contents. There's actually a chicken that lays black eggs

Blue eggs are blue on the inside and outside

But the rest are all white on the inside. It is something that chickens have put on to the eggs as they lay them that is supposed to be linked to Natural camouflage in the wild