Favorite non Bills story from childhood

Another Fan

I remember being in grade school and my grandparents were babysitting and took me to see my Great Grandmother.  She lived alone in a small apartment, was from Poland, and at pretty senile at that point.  My Grandma said she wouldn't recognize me.  

She not only knew who I was but thanked me greatly as I was the only grandchild she had she always got a XMas card from all the time.

It was my Mom's idea to send the cards but looking back it just seemed nice I was able to do something for her that meant a lot.  

• Like (+1) 1

When I was a kid, about 6 years old, a nice old guy down the street would keep an eye on us from his enclosed porch. He seemed like he was 100 years old, but I would guess he was in his late 80's. Anyway, goofing around with one of those 10 cent balsa gliders, mine goes up and lands on the roof of his porch. Everyone else kept playing and eventually we all had to go home. Mr. Bliss (the old guy) came over the next day while I was at school and gave my mother this stupid glider he had retreived from the roof of his porch! He had climbed out the window, scuttled across the roof to get it from the gutter and bring it back. That was Kenmore in the 60's. I assume now my parents would have been sued for allowing me out and damaging his gutter with the glider. 

5 hours ago, Guffalo said:

When I was a kid, about 6 years old, a nice old guy down the street would keep an eye on us from his enclosed porch. He seemed like he was 100 years old, but I would guess he was in his late 80's. Anyway, goofing around with one of those 10 cent balsa gliders, mine goes up and lands on the roof of his porch. Everyone else kept playing and eventually we all had to go home. Mr. Bliss (the old guy) came over the next day while I was at school and gave my mother this stupid glider he had retreived from the roof of his porch! He had climbed out the window, scuttled across the roof to get it from the gutter and bring it back. That was Kenmore in the 60's. I assume now my parents would have been sued for allowing me out and damaging his gutter with the glider. 

This is the type of story the OP was looking for.  Funny how these type of things stay with us. Nice memory.

It certainly happened more than once, but during the blizzard of ‘77 it was clear how we are supposed to treat other people. Not a cute little story, but a life lesson. Strangers helping strangers, giving rides, sharing resources, checking on each other, etc. I’m proud of the way people (generally) behaved under that adversity. 

Can still remember this. My grandparents had a house with a fireplace. When my cousins and I were little sprouts (4-10 yrs old) we would go over to my grandparents every Christmas Eve. My grandfather would show us the fireplace damper and there was a fuzzy piece of fabric stuck in the damper. He explained that Santa got his coat stuck in the fireplace damper plate the previous year and it stayed there every year since. Sure enough, the following year the fabric was still in the fireplace damper and I was amazed how we finally had a piece of his coat. It was still somewhat white with an orange tint but I assumed it aged over time. Fast forward 10 years or so and I watched a buddy installing batts of fiberglass insulation and I kicked myself in the ass for being such a dope. Good stuff.  

4 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Can still remember this. My grandparents had a house with a fireplace. When my cousins and I were little sprouts (4-10 yrs old) we would go over to my grandparents every Christmas Eve. My grandfather would show us the fireplace damper and there was a fuzzy piece of fabric stuck in the damper. He explained that Santa got his coat stuck in the fireplace damper plate the previous year and it stayed there every year since. Sure enough, the following year the fabric was still in the fireplace damper and I was amazed how we finally had a piece of his coat. It was still somewhat white with an orange tint but I assumed it aged over time. Fast forward 10 years or so and I watched a buddy installing batts of fiberglass insulation and I kicked myself in the ass for being such a dope. Good stuff.  

....I thought the house was going to burn down.... I’m such a dope! 

• 3 weeks later...

Back in the very early 70s, grade school, before monkeybars slides seesaws and swings were banned I was a very clumsy child who's mom shopped in the 'Husky' section . Certain kids (you would call them bullies now) would throw balls at people on the playground . So, one day I wanted to play on the monkey bars and was pushed off, ridiculed and berated .  I was unharmed but I grabbed a clump of sod out of spite and flung it at a perpetrator . It wasn't a direct hit but he lost his grip, fell and broke his arm . I was nerd-hero from then on .