Best Dog Breeds for Kids?

KD in CA

I know we have a lot of dog owners here, so thought I'd ask for opinions as we consider dog options.

-We have 3 elementary school age kids so need a breed that likes to be handled by kids;  good energy but not too aggressive.

-We're outdoors a fair amount but don't have a huge yard to just turn them loose (but some space for them to explore).   Town, parks, hiking trails are close by and would be most of the outdoor activity.

-Wife probably doesn't want anything too big.

Let me know your suggestions...thanks.

3 minutes ago, 145B4IDIE said:

my vote is Lab or Golden

I always vote for Labs. My favorite breed. But I think KA said he didn't want one so big or aggressive and didn't have a yard to run. Labs would still be great but didn't fit the criterion.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

1 minute ago, 145B4IDIE said:

all dogs are insane

that's why I love 'em

True. They're amazing. But Jack Russells are likely known as the most manic of them all. Very fun and funny though. Super smart. They don't like to listen.

The original (Jim) Kelly the Dog was a yellow lab. Best dog ever.

I grew up with the greatest dog to ever walk the earth...a Black Lab/Shepperd mix. So I'm going with a big sloppy mutt!

Sorry, I know this wasn't helpful since you don't want a big dog, but I couldn't resist a gratuitous plug for Pepper. 

But if you're still reading, Pepper had a great temperament and I think that came from the Black Lab side.

44 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Having had mixed breeds and purebreds, I'd suggest a mixed breed every time.  Maybe I've just been unlucky, but the purebreds always seem to come down with some weird disease. 

The idea behind a "purebreed" is to mass reproduce the desired traits by closing the gene pool.  The problem with that theory is by closing the gene pool not only do you accelerate reproduction of the desired traits you also accelerate reproduction of flawed traits.

A dog isn't some inanimate object like a new car or TV or smartphone.  A dog is a new member of the family.  

• Like (+1) 4

I am on my sixth Golden Retriever, and I can’t imagine a better breed. ESPECIALLY with kids! You need to get one from a good breeder, no clown winging it. They are so popular a lot of people jump into the game who don’t know squat about.....anything. Great, gentle, sweet and intelligent dogs that will live to make you happy. 

The ONLY downside is the shedding. That’s an issue. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

The idea behind a "purebreed" is to mass reproduce the desired traits by closing the gene pool.  The problem with that theory is by closing the gene pool not only do you accelerate reproduction of the desired traits you also accelerate reproduction of flawed traits.

A dog isn't some inanimate object like a new car or TV or smartphone.  A dog is a new member of the family.  

I totally agree with that. And I love mutts and shelter dogs.

However, I have gotten to know three separate dogs who were actually the disgusting "designer dogs," with breeders putting two disparate dogs together and making a new breed. Just being honest, all three of them are fantastic dogs. Really great. I'm not making any larger projections or statements or even saying this is a remotely good idea. I just saying three of three were fantastic and one of them was one of the coolest, most fun and beautiful dogs I have ever known. And not mine so I don't think I'm biased. He was a cocker spaniel and one other I think.