PFF 2018 Free Agency Preview: Buffalo Bills

18 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

AW publicly forgave him, and said Landry apologized to him and seemed genuinely concerned.

If AW can forgive him, Bills fans should get over it.

Having said that, I think he's a diva and a dbag (even if you remove the AW incident) and doesn't fit the "character" profile that MCD requires.

I think it will be tough to field a competent WR core with strict character rules though. A lot of great, even average, WRs are jagoffs.

This is true. Almost all the greats are true dbags amd divas.

I have a theory on this, and it goes as follows: WR is the only position on the field that is completely dependent on another player. They yammer on and whine like a sewing circle because they genuinely think they are being forgotten about or ignored if they aren't targeted 20 times a game.

Either way, it's a problem. You can count the greats who werent divas on you're fingers.

On topic: No thanks to thug Landry. The half-assed "apology" is BS. My mom always told me as a kid that "I'm sorry" means two things, 1. I didn't mean to do it, and 2. I won't do it again. I'm not buying what this scumbag is selling.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Just a little hyperbole, but you get my point that the Bills need an outside WR who fills the role of a downfield threat.  Landry doesn't provide that as an overpriced slot receiver with a bad attitude to boot. 

I don't think this is true, the Bills didn't waste a 2nd round pick on Zay Jones to be a slot WR, Jones and Benjamin are our outside WR's, I think we'll be looking for that deep threat slot WR either in the draft or FA imo. 

Just now, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I don't think this is true, the Bills didn't waste a 2nd round pick on Zay Jones to be a slot WR, Jones and Benjamin are our outside WR's, I think we'll be looking for that deep threat slot WR either in the draft or FA imo. 

That's where he's best suited to play and where he was after Thompson supplanted him in the starting lineup. 

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Zay wasn't good when lining up outside in college; he was basically only effective as a slot WR. He does have the physical tools to potentially be an outside WR; he just hasn't been any good at it either in college or in the NFL to this point.

Edited by DCOrange

25 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

This is true. Almost all the greats are true dbags amd divas.

I have a theory on this, and it goes as follows: WR is the only position on the field that is completely dependent on another player. They yammer on and whine like a sewing circle because they genuinely think they are being forgotten about or ignored if they aren't targeted 20 times a game.

Either way, it's a problem. You can count the greats who werent divas on you're fingers.

On topic: No thanks to thug Landry. The half-assed "apology" is BS. My mom always told me as a kid that "I'm sorry" means two things, 1. I didn't mean to do it, and 2. I won't do it again. I'm not buying what this scumbag is selling.

Good post!

I'm torn on Landry

I'm not saying it was the best apology, but he looked genuinely upset when he saw Williams on the ground, and personally reached out to him after it happened.

Williams forgave him on a public forum during his retirement announcement.

The rest of the Landry crap is valid.

I'm over the Williams thing since Williams is over it, you know?

I don't think it's wrong to hate Landry, but I don't think it's wrong to forgive either.

I will say that I don't think his attitude is worth his level of talent though.

He's not an all time great.

Just now, aristocrat said:

They have to release a guy or two to open cap space to sign him so it’s possible 

Teams always have to prioritize, but letting a young premium pass rusher hit the market isn't going to happen.  They'll franchise him if necessary. 

15 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Zay wasn't good when lining up outside in college; he was basically only effective as a slot WR. He does have the physical tools to potentially be an outside WR; he just hasn't been any good at it either in college or in the NFL to this point.

This isn't even close to being true, he lined up all over the field for East Carolina but he was mainly an outside WR, he just made most of his catches over the middle, short slants in the middle of the field. I don't know where you got that from but you're wrong.

26 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

This isn't even close to being true, he lined up all over the field for East Carolina but he was mainly an outside WR, he just made most of his catches over the middle, short slants in the middle of the field. I don't know where you got that from but you're wrong.

He did line up out wide often, but not in a way that would generally indicate being successful at it in the NFL.

With just an average score against man coverage and a bottom-quarter success rate when pressed, we have to wonder if Jones projects as an effective outside receiver at the NFL level. An inability to win off the line of scrimmage in duels with boundary cornerbacks is essentially a death sentence for wide receivers. To further complicate matters, his contested catch conversion rate of 54.5 checked in below the two-year average and in the 30th percentile. As such, Jones’ best role may be as an interior receiver in the NFL.

When viewed in conjunction with his 23rd percentile success rate vs. press coverage, Jones’ route data seems to slam the door shut on a projection for an outside receiver in the NFL. An inability to win consistently off the line, in contested situations or on downfield routes spells doom for a primary pass-catcher.

The safest bet appears to be that Jones settles into a high-volume but low-ceiling slot and flanker hybrid role when he hits the next level. Yes, he can win on those short to intermediate routes while sifting through zone coverage, and there is certainly value in a player like that, but Reception Perception gave us plenty of reason to question what is available beyond that.

https://www.thefantasyfootballers.com/articles/reception-perception-zay-jones-years-confusing-wr-prospect/