Schefter: Washington Considering the Franchise Tag for Cousins

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

You think someone offers a 3rd round pick if Cousins says he won't sign an extension and this team has to pay him $35 million for a one year rental?

Cleveland might if they could negotiate a longer term deal with Washington's permission to talk to him and his representatives. 

26 minutes ago, Yo no se said:

I would love if They did this and the rest of the NFL called their bluff. $34 million dollar backup. 

Nobody would love to see Snyder chomping down on that sh*t sandwich more than me, but there are enough QB thirsty teams out there. They’d find a partner. 

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't know the clear answer to this.  I think I know, but maybe I'm wrong.  If Washington franchises Cousins, can they trade him if he doesn't sign?

My understanding is "No"

Washington would be foolish if they didn't consider a "tag and trade", but they better clear it with Captain Kirk and be sure he's willing to sign, because the tag money comes out of their cap as soon as they apply it and stays on the books until trade - whether he signs or not.  Depending upon the details of Mr Smith's reported $23.5M/yr, $70M guaranteed salary, they may or may not even have the cap left to apply the tag.  And they've got a lot of FA to resign themselves.

And if I were Kirk Cousins, looking forward to FA and to seeing what the market forces of FA will bring me, I would NOT be in a hurry to sign and maybe get traded to a team that isn't my free first choice.  They would be giving Cousins the leverage to ruin their offseason, simply by sitting on his hands and smiling.

I personally think this is Schefter just tweeting the obvious - "considering" means "we've thought about it"

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that Cousins should just sign the tag and be like “cool.” I’ll just back up Alex Smith and make $35M or whatever it is. I’d fake an injury early in the year (nothing serious though) so that I didn’t have to play and hit FA again next year $35M richer. 

Come on man! Not in his charcter to do that. 

2 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

57,000,000 tied up in one position is not a good model. 

That wouldn't be the case for very long with the demand being so high for his services and they could wait until Cousins is gone before extending Alex Smith. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that Cousins should just sign the tag and be like “cool.” I’ll just back up Alex Smith and make $35M or whatever it is. I’d fake an injury early in the year (nothing serious though) so that I didn’t have to play and hit FA again next year $35M richer. 

If he signs, someone will trade for him.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Come on man! Not in his charcter to do that. 

Well than he can bust his butt and blow out his Achilles, see what he makes then. If they want to jerk around his career and try to force him somewhere he absolutely should stick it to them. He’s not a slave. They are controlling his money by limiting the teams that can negotiate with him. Sign the tag and never look back. 

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If he signs, someone will trade for him.

I’m sure they will but FA will be better FOR HIM. He needs to do what is best for him.

32 minutes ago, ALF said:

Teams can rescind the franchise or transition tag -- as we saw with Josh Norman last year -- if the offer sheet hasn't been signed.

Once the sheet is signed, the player's salary is guaranteed for that season

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000785958/article/what-to-know-about-nfl-franchise-tag-designations

I get that, but in that case what would tagging him accomplish?  The Redskins would have to rescind their offer before FA starts or they're screwed in their own efforts to resign their guys.  It could functionally serve as Washington extending the tampering period:

March 6: tag Cousins, give permission for potential trade partners to talk to Cousins and his agent re: long term contract.  Cousins doesn't sign

March 12: Cousins still doesn't sign.  Washington starts sweating

March 14: Redskins forced to rescind  tag so they can negotiate their own FA deals.  Cousins smiles and signs pre-negotiated deal.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Well than he can bust his butt and blow out his Achilles, see what he makes then. If they want to jerk around his career and try to force him somewhere he absolutely should stick it to them. He’s not a slave. They are controlling his money by limiting the teams that can negotiate with him. Sign the tag and never look back. 

I’m sure they will but FA will be better FOR HIM. He needs to do what is best for him.

Slave? Come on with that at more than $70M in three years if he gets tagged. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Slave? Come on with that at more than $70M in three years if he gets tagged. 

The Redskins made a decision that they wanted to go with Alex Smith. What does Cousins owe them? Why should he take a penny less than the market will pay to appease them? 

In addition, the team that will be trading for him will be sending a 2nd presumably. If that is where he wants to go wouldn’t he be better off there if they had another 2nd? He shouldn’t do ANYTHING to help Washington.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I get that, but in that case what would tagging him accomplish?  The Redskins would have to rescind their offer before FA starts or they're screwed in their own efforts to resign their guys.  It could functionally serve as Washington extending the tampering period:

March 6: tag Cousins, give permission for potential trade partners to talk to Cousins and his agent re: long term contract.  Cousins doesn't sign

March 12: Cousins still doesn't sign.  Washington starts sweating

March 14: Redskins forced to rescind  tag so they can negotiate their own FA deals.  Cousins smiles and signs pre-negotiated deal.

You also forgot the part where they no longer get a compensatory pick if they rescind the franchise tag.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

The Redskins made a decision that they wanted to go with Alex Smith. What does Cousins owe them? Why should he take a penny less than the market will pay to appease them? 

Washington should do what they believe is in their best interest within the confines of the CBA  It's as simple as that.  

38 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

If he thinks it's best for him then yes. 

What’s a better scenario than $35M guaranteed without the risk of injury? 

Also, it can’t even be debated that FA is best. Competition will drive his money. If the Redskins limit the market he will make less. That’s why he should call their bluff. “If you tag me, I will sign it. I will not agree to an extension wherever you try to send me. You have 2 options, let me hit FA or pay me $35M.”

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2