Tyrod Taylor on goal line pass in Jacksonville

JoshBarnett

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

On a drive that, at the point of that play call, had already eaten up 7 minutes of clock and where our RBs were relatively effective averaging 4+ YPC against that vaunted defense and we were on the 1 yard line...?

Yes. You run on 1st down.

Run on 1st down in that situation is NEVER a bad call whereas passing on 1st down there absolutely can be, as it was.

Actually that drive was over 7 minutes up to that point 0:) 

I don't think it's that cut and dried.  KB and his height is not a bad option in the EZ.  

Run on first down and get a hold.  Now it's 1st and goal from the 10.  It's the exact same scenario.

2 hours ago, jmc12290 said:

We agree on something!

Talk about hindsight.  We couldn't run at all during the game, Eric Wood was hurt, but we should have called the play that required our OL to manhandle Dareus and co at the LOS?

We ran down the field to get to the one yard line!

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

We had just gone 70 yards to get to the one, the majority on the ground.

Yep

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Watch the replay. The pass wasn't bad. Hit him in the hands, high, where it's supposed to be for Benjamin. The problem was that that when Benjamin was interfering with the defender he should already have begun to turn for the ball.  If he'd done that he could have boxed out the defender and made the catch.  All on Benjamin. 

I didn’t like the call and still don’t.  But, I do agree it was more on Benjamin than TT.

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

Watch the replay. The pass wasn't bad. Hit him in the hands, high, where it's supposed to be for Benjamin. The problem was that that when Benjamin was interfering with the defender he should already have begun to turn for the ball.  If he'd done that he could have boxed out the defender and made the catch.  All on Benjamin. 

I didn’t like the call and still don’t.  But, I do agree it was more on Benjamin than TT

Edited by Manther

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't have all-22 this year and can't convince myself of that 100% from the film clips available online.  Can someone else confirm this interpretation? (Edit: I mean that the Jags player clearly got 100% back before the snap)

IMO, the push-off from Benjamin was pretty clear, I recall Romo even coaching him in real time on the play-by-play saying "Benjamin, you got to push off low, if you push off up at the facemask or pads level it's easy to spot and they'll flag it every time.  Was there an element of "make up call" in an infraction they might otherwise overlook, perhaps, but it was a pretty obvious push-off up at neck level and right in front of the ref.

If a run play had a flagrant hold right in front of the ref sure holding on something they might otherwise let slide, but I don't see the refs making a "phantom call" on either as sometimes happens.   Neither the Jags nor Bills are in the category of teams that get those.

It was clearly a pass interference.   But no more egregious than the pass to KB in the end zone a couple plays before that with no flag.  The refs were letting them play to say the least.

Full disclosure.......I almost never blame results on officiating.   It's a big field and most of the complained about calls are cases where people are complaining about not being rewarded for achieving the minimum.......like staying in bounds or being spotted a half yard short of a first down.   

The offsides was a potentially hugely impactuf tricky-tack call(and appeared to be wrong) and the Bills didn't even do their part to EARN the call by reacting to the movement.   It was a Billsy, heads-down kinda' play not reacting to the player being in the neutral zone.     I knew immediately after seeing the replay that it was at worst a very bad call and at best an undeserved reward........and that there was likely to be a make-up call and that the Bills were most likely going to have to earn the score from further back with the free second set of downs.  

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't have all-22 this year and can't convince myself of that 100% from the film clips available online.  Can someone else confirm this interpretation? (Edit: I mean that the Jags player clearly got 100% back before the snap)

IMO, the push-off from Benjamin was pretty clear, I recall Romo even coaching him in real time on the play-by-play saying "Benjamin, you got to push off low, if you push off up at the facemask or pads level it's easy to spot and they'll flag it every time.  Was there an element of "make up call" in an infraction they might otherwise overlook, perhaps, but it was a pretty obvious push-off up at neck level and right in front of the ref.

If a run play had a flagrant hold right in front of the ref sure holding on something they might otherwise let slide, but I don't see the refs making a "phantom call" on either as sometimes happens.   Neither the Jags nor Bills are in the category of teams that get those.

You're right, but you know what else is sickening?  We have two freakin' FBs, not one FB but two, on the @#$! roster and we're talking about our finesse back, Mr "Cut on Dime", as the one to pound at the goal line.  WTF man? (to McDermott)

It's a stretch to say Taylor put it on KB's hands - but KB did not put on much of a vertical leap for a ball no further over his head than many he has caught, and it did touch his hands.  Either he couldn't put on a vertical leap, because knee, or ??  (Compare and contrast with Diggs leap in the Eagles Vikes, for example)

About the depths of exaggeration, you're right on.  Just as we're so bereft of quality QB play that we go nuts over 5th round rookie backups, it's been so long since we've seen championship-caliber WR play that we no longer expect our WR to make grabs players on other teams regularly haul in - both the Jones catch and the KB play fall into that category.

Someone in the last hour or so posted a replay of Benjamin.  Find it and look.  I thought was marginal call, the kind-of call that often is not made.  

And when you watch the replay you'll see the ball hit Benjamin in the hands, and he barely jumped.  Benjamin was late turning for the ball because, coincidentally,n he was interfering with the DB.  If he had just turned for the ball he would have caught it. 

33 minutes ago, Manther said:

We ran down the field to get to the one yard line!

Yep

I didn’t like the call and still don’t.  But, I do agree it was more on Benjamin than TT.

I didn’t like the call and still don’t.  But, I do agree it was more on Benjamin than TT

I didn't like the call either. 

12 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Someone in the last hour or so posted a replay of Benjamin.  Find it and look.  I thought was marginal call, the kind-of call that often is not made.  

And when you watch the replay you'll see the ball hit Benjamin in the hands, and he barely jumped.  Benjamin was late turning for the ball because, coincidentally,n he was interfering with the DB.  If he had just turned for the ball he would have caught it. 

I didn't like the call either. 

How could you not like a playcall that would've worked if the player doesn't commit an unnecessary penalty?

"It would've been an easy TD catch but I didn't like the call."  :blink:

On 2/3/2018 at 9:48 AM, Da webster guy said:

well, actually yeah it was a choice of pass or run and there is nothing wrong with Dennisons call or Tyrod's decision-making here.   Kelvin is a red zone monster and Tyrod is going to keep that ball up and away where it's either a TD or incomplete. 

There are two cardinal rules of football offensively when you have short yardage goal to go: Oline must not jump, and NO stupid offensive PI.  

Kelvin blew it with a blatant push off that even Gronk would have been flagged for.

Cost us dearly.

Not Rico or TT's fault.   

Yes. People mostly seem to be debating whether Dennison or Tyrod was at fault. I hated Dennison as our coordinator and I'm fully aware if Tyrod's limitations, but that was a touchdown if Kelvin just turned around without pushing off. The play call avoided running into a stacked box and Tyrod threw a perfectly placed ball. The fault lies with the receiver who was signed to make those exact catches and bungled it in the worst way. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To Josh: there might be 100 reasons why that's complicated to do, or shouldn't be done.

But IMHO this from Shaw66 is actually a great idea - give a periodic taste of what's behind the paywall

As long as it's up front what you're doing - giving a free sample to assess the quality of a product available for a fee is an honored American tradition.

Agreed. We think it's a good idea, too. We average roughly 3-4 free pieces virtually every day and have since we started back in September. That number is usually around 6-8 on game days.

A number of the pieces on the front list of headlines on this site actually are free, but are displayed with the lock because they come from us and that must be the default.

55 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

How could you not like a playcall that would've worked if the player doesn't commit an unnecessary penalty?

"It would've been an easy TD catch but I didn't like the call."  :blink:

Because IMO we could have ran the ball, had less risk and still scored.  Return on investment for the play call.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, JoshBarnett said:

Agreed. We think it's a good idea, too. We average roughly 3-4 free pieces virtually every day and have since we started back in September. That number is usually around 6-8 on game days.

A number of the pieces on the front list of headlines on this site actually are free, but are displayed with the lock because they come from us and that must be the default.

Good to know, Josh, but I think you may be missing Shaw66's suggestion and my point:

The suggestion was, if you do choose to highlight a piece here as an excellent example of TBN's high quality coverage that isn't seen elsewhere, make THAT piece free so we can all assess it and agree with you (or, choose to highlight pieces that are already free)

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good to know, Josh, but I think you may be missing Shaw66's suggestion and my point:

The suggestion was, if you do choose to highlight a piece here as an excellent example of TBN's high quality coverage that isn't seen elsewhere, make THAT piece free so we can all assess it and agree with you (or, choose to highlight pieces that are already free)

Josh 

Hapless is doing a good job translating what I'm saying.  I think the rules of thumb you should follow are these:

1.  If you're starting a new thread your post should either contain useful information about the Bills or a link to free information aboit the subject of your post. 

2.  If you're going to post simply a link to information we have to pay to see, then the title of the threaf should say the threas has a link to paid content.  

If you follow those rules you'll be fine and people won't be mislead into opening your thread.  

3.  If you're posting in an existing thread, linking to a paid site is less of an issue, but the courteous thing yo go is give some clue that It a paid.  Often you'll see someone post something like this:  "If you have ESPN Insider you make like this ...."

For me the whole point is that it's irritating to be mislead into me into clicking on threads that are commercial, or are jokes, or otherwise take me to content thatbisnt a discussion of the Bills.  

2 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Tyrod biggest problem is a limited passing vs Nick Foles much better at it. Key difference for QBS these days.

Give QB's playmakers and simple reads and you will be surprised how well they can throw.      When Foles went down in 2014 Mark Sanchez came in and threw for about 280 yards per game average.   Well in excess of 4,000 yard passing pace.   Yes, THAT Mark Sanchez.       

2 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

Tyrod biggest problem is a limited passing vs Nick Foles much better at it. Key difference for QBS these days.

No... Tyrod and Nick Foles aren't all that different in the fact that neither guy is a Franchise QB, they're just guys who can be good in the right circumstances.

Tyrod sort of had that in his first season when Roman was kind of limiting the playbook (apparently) and Sammy and Woods were healthy most of the year.

Foles played great yesterday and played great in the NFC Championship, but dude has INCREDIBLE talent surrounding him which is aided by a brilliant, creative and aggressive play-caller who is also the Head Coach and therefore dictates offensive philosophy with absolutely ZERO resistence.

Just look at it this way in terms of skill positions...

McCoy & Tolbert & Banyard (?) vs. Ajayi & Blount & Clement

Zay Jones & Deonte Thompson & Kelvin Benjamin vs. Alshon Jeffrey & Torrey Smith & Nelson Aghoular

Charles Clay vs. Zach Ertz

Buffalo Bills OL vs. Philadelphia Eagles OL

I don't know if Tyrod is back this year.  I suspect he is with a rookie 1st round pick waiting in the wings.  What I'm genuinely curious to see is if McDermott gives Dabol full offensive control and what kind of an offensive play caller Dabol is.

Is he creative?

Is he aggressive?

Is he stubborn or does he call plays and a system that caters to his players strengths?

Based on what he did last year at Alabama, I'm excited to see him.  But all the Super Bowl did prove yesterday is just how incredibly important a creative and aggressive offensive play caller can be.

That's taking nothing away from Foles, who was great 2 games in a row and he's going to get PAID at some point.  But he's going to get overpaid, too.

On 2/3/2018 at 2:04 PM, dave mcbride said:

I get your point -- sort of. The thing is, there are nearly zero posters here who aren't aware of the News's policy already. And it IS a good piece. Pretty revealing actually. Nice interview by Vic C.

Also, the thing that bugs me isn't so much what you're saying but the out-and-out venom directed at the paper because they now require what amounts to chump change. Their coverage really has gotten better since they instituted it too, fwiw.

Will not pay even chump change for chumps Sulky and Buckass. If their coverage was better then they would have gotten rid of them.

Should they make it free? No. Pay for the writers you want read ala carte and let market decide.

You can start a Gofundme page to pay for Sulky and Buckass.