In-Depth Breakdown of Lamar Jackson by Eliot Crist

DCOrange

He is extremely talented... but I want to harp on 1 thing...

He is listed at 6'3 210... most people I talk to who are very familiar with Lamar Jackson tell me that he isn't close to that weight

they say he is probably closer to 185-190 pounds... that would be a HUGE problem. He wouldn't be able to play QB at that size in the NFL

I don't watch college and don't know squat about any of them, but I am sick of running QB's. Whoever we take, they better be able to pass the freakin ball.

And the defensive strategy against him better not be "force him to stay in the pocket and be a QB".

16 minutes ago, MJS said:

I don't watch college and don't know squat about any of them, but I am sick of running QB's. Whoever we take, they better be able to pass the freakin ball.

And the defensive strategy against him better not be "force him to stay in the pocket and be a QB".

Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck and Cam Newton all say hello. They were unaware that you are only able to pass the ball well or run the ball well

1 hour ago, JM57 said:

Aaron Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck and Cam Newton all say hello. They were unaware that you are only able to pass the ball well or run the ball well

I personally wouldn't classify Rodgers or Luck  as running QBs

they are QBs who just so happen to be very mobile and their is a difference 

On 2/2/2018 at 11:53 AM, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Jackson: 12.04%

Rosen: 11.01%

Mayfield: 9.49%

Rudolph: 9.15%

Allen: 7.84%

Darnold: 6.81%

This should be freakin' stickied.

2 hours ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Buddy Nix says Jackson is more of a guard than a tackle at the NFL level. 

I had that thought actually when I read those words from Polian:  "Hell, No, He's not a guard!"

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Agreed.  I haven't seen enough of Luck to comment, but one thing that has always struck me about Rodgers and Brees (Brees!) is how freakin' teflon they are.

They have this uncanny ability, while focused downfield, to sense pressure coming and make these tiny little adjustments that make would-be rushers miss.  I read an interview once with Eli Manning where he said that was something that couldn't be taught, it was either an instinct you had or you didn't.

I don't know if that's true.  The claim is DeFilippo and Reich improved Foles pocket performance under pressure this year, so maybe it can be taught.  Or maybe he had the right instinct but the wrong reaction?

The thing that intrigues me about Jackson, now that I've watched some film on him, is that he does seem to have that ability to step up or duck or shift and make people miss.  Sometimes he uses it to throw, and sometimes he uses it to change zip codes.  But if it's true it can't be taught, that might be something to look at carefully.

Rosen seems to have it a bit.  He doesn't run very often but he seems to know when to step up or sidestep or roll out.

8 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

He is extremely talented... but I want to harp on 1 thing...

He is listed at 6'3 210... most people I talk to who are very familiar with Lamar Jackson tell me that he isn't close to that weight

they say he is probably closer to 185-190 pounds... that would be a HUGE problem. He wouldn't be able to play QB at that size in the NFL

Someone said he was visibly heavier this year than last, so perhaps he can bulk up some, or did bulk up after your peeps knew him?

How heavy is Rosen, really? 

They weigh them at the combine, yes?

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I had that thought actually when I read those words from Polian:  "Hell, No, He's not a guard!"

Agreed.  I haven't seen enough of Luck to comment, but one thing that has always struck me about Rodgers and Brees (Brees!) is how freakin' teflon they are.

They have this uncanny ability, while focused downfield, to sense pressure coming and make these tiny little adjustments that make would-be rushers miss.  I read an interview once with Eli Manning where he said that was something that couldn't be taught, it was either an instinct you had or you didn't.

I don't know if that's true.  The claim is DeFilippo and Reich improved Foles pocket performance under pressure this year, so maybe it can be taught.  Or maybe he had the right instinct but the wrong reaction?

The thing that intrigues me about Jackson, now that I've watched some film on him, is that he does seem to have that ability to step up or duck or shift and make people miss.  Sometimes he uses it to throw, and sometimes he uses it to change zip codes.  But if it's true it can't be taught, that might be something to look at carefully.

Rosen seems to have it a bit.  He doesn't run very often but he seems to know when to step up or sidestep or roll out.

I willl 100% agree that feeling pressure and stepping up in the pocket is 100% a natural trait...

you either have it or you don't 

6 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Rodgers and Luck, when healthy, are consistently between roughly 4th and 8th in rushing yards by QBs every season, usually behind exactly who you would expect (Tyrod Taylor since 2015, Colin Kaepernick when he was starting, Alex Smith, Cam Newton and Russell Wilson most years)

Yes, they are very mobile. They are also able to complete throws where many other guys would have to tuck and run. They absolutely have the ability to run for more yards than they do, but have incredible arm talent. 

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Someone said he was visibly heavier this year than last, so perhaps he can bulk up some, or did bulk up after your peeps knew him?

Yes, unless Rosen/Lamar skipped the combine for some reason, we'll learn exactly how much they weigh/how tall they are.

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes they will measure their height/weight at the combine...

it certainly is possible that Lamar has bulked up, it's just what I've been told

i would expect Rosen to be 210-215

18 hours ago, JM57 said:

Did I say only pass the ball? Clearly if they can run, that's a bonus.