Cousins to Denver?

6 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Or he's lieing. It's that time of year.

Lies!! Theyre def trying to slide into Cousins DMs. Talking bout that Colorodo herbal culture and selling him on the teams future. This would be the best thing for us. Gives us a trade partner and takes Cousins away from the NYJ

Breer is on the radio saying that the team which shows him "love" will have a good chance of landing him. Says the Jets are the leader in the clubhouse with the Broncos a close second. Saying the Broncos are so close to the cap that in order to sign him they may lose their identity by letting go of Talib, Wolfe, Manny, etc.

OK   Time to rehash this old article.  

Destination Cousins 

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/20978049/nfl-destination-kirk-cousins-ten-teams-washington-redskins-quarterback-play-2018-free-agent-market

Why it couldn't work

The Broncos could be leery about spending big for a quarterback they don't know well. There could be more cost-effective alternatives in the veteran market, and because they're drafting so early, they could see a solution there. Cousins could see Denver as a place where Elway churns through coaches and quarterbacks whenever the on-field results fail to meet sky-high expectations.

The Cardinals could find Cousins' price tag too expensive, and it's not a sure bet that Cousins would see Arizona as a place he could win right away.

Cousins might see the Browns' ownership as even more dysfunctional than he saw the Redskins' ownership. Cleveland's 1-31 record over the past two seasons could scare him off, too. The Browns could also decide to go with a highly drafted rookie from the start. They own two of the top four picks.

Bills With a relatively new coach and GM, the Bills might want to start fresh with their own quarterback, not with a veteran from another team. Sean McDermott is a defensive-minded coach who might prefer building the roster in other areas over spending huge money for a good-not-great quarterback. Cousins also could be wary of Buffalo after the Bills benched Taylor.

JETS Cousins might not see the Jets as a team with which he can deliver on expectations. The Jets also could decide to target a quarterback with the No. 6 overall pick in the draft. That was the direction league insiders thought the Jets were heading as the 2017 season got going, but the assumption back then was that the Jets could be picking first or second overall.

Miami Coach Adam Gase might prefer what he already knows in Tannehill. There's a good chance the team would not see Cousins as a dramatic upgrade.

Jacksonville Bortles' production improved, and the team reached the AFC Championship Game. Why make an expensive play for Cousins if Bortles is ascending? Bortles actually had a higher Total QBR than Cousins in 2017, so there are no guarantees Jacksonville would see Cousins as a huge upgrade. The team could sign a veteran or use a 2018 draft choice to add competition/insurance for Bortles. Jacksonville also could have a shot at other quarterbacks.

The Vikings could be more likely to re-sign Case Keenum and/or Teddy Bridgewater. They know both players much better than they know Cousins, who figures to carry a higher price tag that could be a deterrent. Keenum outranked Cousins in Total QBR last season. A defensive-minded coach such as Mike Zimmer might not want to spend so much for a quarterback.

Giants GM Dave Gettleman has indicated that he would like to have Manning back in 2018. They could keep Manning for another year or use him as a bridge to a younger quarterback, and they have the No. 2 overall pick in the draft. The Giants also could decide Manning can function well enough to start for the next few seasons if the team upgrades its offensive line and running game while getting healthy at receiver.

The Bucs could remain committed to Winston. They also might want to funnel their financial resources toward upgrading other areas, including their pass rush.

There have been no indications, yet, that Luck's injury situation will end his career. Even if Luck's status is in question, the Colts could draft a replacement in 2018. They also might think Jacoby Brissett can be at least serviceable if given a baseline level of support.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

8 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I saw that Buffalo News is reporting that the Bills will not be pursuing Cousins at all

I think I saw DraftWire say that, but I haven't seen anything like that in TBN.

Of course, I don't really read the News, but I would think I'd have seen it linked here.

11 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I saw that Buffalo News is reporting that the Bills will not be pursuing Cousins at all

They didn’t report that. Mark Gaughan’s opinion is that he is expected to be too pricey and that he’s not a “lift a modest team in his shoulders out of mediocrity” type QB for that money. I agree with him btw but it’s just his opinion. Of course Rotoworld again makes it sound like fact. 

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It doesn’t say that they won’t be pursuing him at all. It says that Gaughan doesn’t expect them to. I don’t expect them to either but it’s jmo. 

People read what they want.   (yes I'm guilty of it too)  

The Bills should show interest, but state that they will not break the bank.  

To not show interest would be overlooking a way they could improve 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

To not show interest would be foolish 

If gaughan actually claimed a source at the Bills told him they wouldn’t be pursuing him, I would believe it even less, haha. Lying season. In the end it’s just his own take though. 

9 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

To not show interest would be overlooking a way they could improve 

Fairly cut & dry from Gaughan

It's hard to make any case for the Bills to get into the bidding for Cousins, who is expected to cost about $25 million a year. Cousins is pretty good, too, and he fits the kind of precision-passing offense the Bills like. But nothing about his history suggests he's a lift-a-modestly-talented-squad-on-his shoulders player.

One plus one doesn't always equal two. Maybe Cousins lands elsewhere. But with a 26-30-1 record, is Cousins a guy for whom the Bills want to push all their chips to the middle?

That's the path that makes sense for the Bills. Be patient. Don't gamble. Unless the guy has a giant upside, don't even think of going all in.

Just now, GG said:

Fairly cut & dry from Gaughan

It's hard to make any case for the Bills to get into the bidding for Cousins, who is expected to cost about $25 million a year. Cousins is pretty good, too, and he fits the kind of precision-passing offense the Bills like. But nothing about his history suggests he's a lift-a-modestly-talented-squad-on-his shoulders player.

One plus one doesn't always equal two. Maybe Cousins lands elsewhere. But with a 26-30-1 record, is Cousins a guy for whom the Bills want to push all their chips to the middle?

That's the path that makes sense for the Bills. Be patient. Don't gamble. Unless the guy has a giant upside, don't even think of going all in.

That's not even really true anymore what Gaughan said. With Dennison leaving the precision-passing WCO is gone.

1 minute ago, Wayne Cubed said:

That's not even really true anymore what Gaughan said. With Dennison leaving the precision-passing WCO is gone.

If Daboll runs the E-P, it has those same concepts of precision passing. It just utilizes less complexity in the plays and play calling. 

4 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

If the Bills went after any Vet as the intended starter,  what do you think that cost would be?   $15 - $18 mil, $18 - $20 mil, $20 - $22 mil, $22 - $25 mil

It never hurts to look and see.  

Depends on what level starter you're talking about.  McCown cost under $5 millon, Tyrod is $15 million.   That's your range for a bridge.