The Giants and the #2 pick

There's a decent amount of chatter here in NYC that Barkley is truly the guy the Giants want. At first, I thought that'd be crazy because they need a future qb, but then I thought about it a little. Eli really isn't that bad at all at present, and physically, he hasn't declined as far as I can tell (I see a lot of Giants games). Last season they had a horrible running game (and a bad stable of RBs), a bad o-line, and a hurt OBJ. OBJ will be back next season and presumably fine, they are going to target o-line in FA, and Barkley really is that good. What separates him from the typical talented RB (e.g., AP) is that he has Leveon Bell and Shady-like ability in the passing game. He's a massive asset to a passing game, and don't think that what Kamara did for the Saints offense this season has gone unnoticed.  And by most of the accounts I've seen, Barkley is the highest rated player in the entire draft.  In the right situation, Manning can easily be a 30-TD passer for the next couple of years. The talent is there on defense, and they are the one team in the league that I think has the capability to turn around their fortunes on a dime. They are and always have been a good organization. 

My larger point is that the #2, #3 and #4 will not be QBs (assuming the Browns take a qb at #1). Trades will be available. The one wild card is that I could see the Browns taking Barkley at #1 and then taking a qb at #4.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

There's a decent amount of chatter here in NYC that Barkley is truly the guy the Giants want. At first, I thought that'd be crazy because they need a future qb, but then I thought about it a little. Eli really isn't that bad at all at present, and physically, he hasn't declined as far as I can tell (I see a lot of Giants games). Last season they had a horrible running game (and a bad stable of RBs), a bad o-line, and a hurt OBJ. OBJ will be back next season and presumably fine, they are going to target o-line in FA, and Barkley really is that good. What separates him from the typical talented RB (e.g., AP) is that he has Leveon Bell and Shady-like ability in the passing game. He's a massive asset to a passing game, and don't think that what Kamara did for the Saints offense this season has gone unnoticed.  And by most of the accounts I've seen, Barkley is the highest rated player in the entire draft.  In the right situation, Manning can easily be a 30-TD passer for the next couple of years. The talent is there on defense, and they are the one team in the league that I think has the capability to turn around their fortunes on a dime. They are and always have been a good organization. 

My larger point is that the #2, #3 and #4 will not be QBs (assuming the Browns take a qb at #1). Trades will be available. The one wild card is that I could see the Browns taking Barkley at #1 and then taking a qb at #4.

100% agree. Been saying it for over a week now.... all the smoke from Gettleman is "our pick is available at the right price".

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/25/2018 at 8:31 AM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Gettleman Likes Eli, Undecided on Drafting a QB

With the second overall pick in the draft, the Giants are expected by many to draft their QB of the future, likely choosing between Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen to inherit the throne from the 37-year-old Manning. Gettleman, however, cares not for outside prognostications.

"With the second pick, we're going to take the best player available," Gettleman said, adding, "If you take a guy just to take a guy especially at the quarterback position -- and he fails -- you set yourself back five years.

"There are teams in what I call quarterback hell. They got a quality defense, good special teams and they're going 7-9, 8-8, 9-7. ... Now if there is a legitimate [quarterback in the draft], they got to trade up [and] give away the farm to get the guy."

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, dave mcbride said:

What do you make of that quote, CB? I personally think that Eli's obit has been written prematurely. He's still a quality qb who can make the throws and simply needs a much, much better running game, o-line, and healthy receivers.

They may be open to taking offers for that pick based on the last sentence. 

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The one wild card is that I could see the Browns taking Barkley at #1 and then taking a qb at #4.

I lean this way as well. It makes sense to draft the best position player, then take whichever QB is left at 4. They are probably going to pick the wrong guy anyway, so maybe they should let fate choose? 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

What do you make of that quote, CB? I personally think that Eli's obit has been written prematurely. He's still a quality qb who can make the throws and simply needs a much, much better running game, o-line, and healthy receivers.

To paraphrase the orange golem, NY is open for business

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They may be open to taking offers for that pick based on the last sentence. 

Yup. What team has gone 7-9, 8-8, and 9-7 in the last three seasons? Only one I can think of!

More seriously, it's less about them trading down in my view than them not taking a qb and going with Barkley.  The Colts strike me as the ideal trade candidate because they really need help on their front seven and it seems to me that the #21 and #22 slots are the sweet spot for front-seven talent depth in this draft. 

Edited by dave mcbride

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I think they will take Rosen and sit him behind  Eli for a year. 

We'll see. My sense tells me that this is a team in win-now mode. They were good in 2016, after all. They aren't nearly as bad as their record.  But even with 2016, just look at these RBs. That's a terrible group, and it dragged the entire offense down with it. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyg/2016.htm

This is such a good RB class, as much as I like Barkley i think 2 is too high with the QBs available. If they aren’t taking Rosen they will trade the pick to someone who will. Imo 

they havent adequately addressed the RB position OR the OL... they should do that but Barkley at 2 seems frivolous to me with the haul you could get in a trade 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is such a good RB class, as much as I like Barkley i think 2 is too high. If they aren’t taking Rosen they will trade the pick to someone who will. Imo 

Fair enough. That said, they want to pass the ball, and Orleans Darkwa is no better of a receiver than Gillislee. Vereen is a decent receiver, but not a good rusher. An all-purpose threat like Barkley would open up things massively for that offense. The arrival of Bell in Pitt coincided with a steep rise in offensive productivity in Pitt, after all. 

Edited by dave mcbride

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Fair enough. That said, they want to pass the ball, and Orleans Darkwa is no better of a receiver than Gillislee. Vereen is a decent receiver, but not a good rusher. An all-purpose threat like Barkley would open up things massively for that offense. The arrival of Bell in Pitt coincided with a steep rise in offensive productivity in Pitt, after all. 

I believe they should add a RB but I actually like Guice better than Barkley (who I love) so I’m the wrong person think about him at 2 lol 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I believe they should add a RB but I actually like Guice better than Barkley (who I love) so I’m the wrong person to ask lol 

Yeah, but I like Barkley a LOT better because I think he's ten times the receiver that Guice is (who is  a good player, no doubt). The numbers show it too. Just my opinion, but I think passing game ability for RBs is what separates the good players from the elite players.

24 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I have been thinking the same thing since they fired their coach and GM. Barkley can make a HUGE impact on that offense. 

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is such a good RB class, as much as I like Barkley i think 2 is too high with the QBs available. If they aren’t taking Rosen they will trade the pick to someone who will. Imo 

they havent adequately addressed the RB position OR the OL... they should do that but Barkley at 2 seems frivolous to me with the haul you could get in a trade 

Not if they think Barkley is their guy and they fear the Colts or Browns take him in the next couple of picks.  They'll sit at 2 and take him.  

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Yeah, but I like Barkley a LOT better because I think he's ten times the receiver that Guice is (who is  a good player, no doubt). The numbers show it too. Just my opinion, but I think passing game ability for RBs is what separates the good players from the elite players.

I think he is a better receiver and returner, but not as good of a pure runner as Guice. Just depends on what you are looking for.

Just now, NewEraBills said:

Not if they think Barkley is their guy and they fear the Colts or Browns take him in the next couple of picks.  They'll sit at 2 and take him.  

I hope they do! 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think he is a better receiver and returner, but not as good of a pure runner as Guice. Just depends on what you are looking for.

I hope they do! 

PS - if you look at Barkley's #s, it's almost as if Penn State showcased him as a receiver this year to show how good he was at it to NFL personnel guys. His receiving #s this past season were pretty incredible for an RB (~12 yards per reception on 50+ catches). https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/saquon-barkley-1.html