[Please Change Title]Kyle Lauletta

Wideright24

On 2/1/2018 at 6:51 PM, atlbillsfan1975 said:

He seems to fit  the profile of a Belichick type QB. Mallette was the only head scratcher for me.

I haven’t seen him play at all so have no opinion. But if he’s a “Belichik” type QB shouldn’t we be more interested? Could be a Jimmy G? What round are we looking at?

Edited by YoloinOhio

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I haven’t seen him play at all so have no opinion. But if he’s a “Belichik” type QB shouldn’t we be more interested? Could be a Jimmy G? What round are we looking at?

....seems like he hit the scene after the Senior Bowl on some radars......projected to be round 3-4.........do you think McBeane may go OL/DL or DL/OL with the 1sts and watch for the Lauletta kid with second 2nd or the 3rd?....OR...is he committed to one of the bigger names despite what it may cost him in draft capital, except for Rudolph who is projected to be there at 21/22?..........

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....seems like he hit the scene after the Senior Bowl on some radars......projected to be round 3-4.........do you think McBeane may go OL/DL or DL/OL with the 1sts and watch for the Lauletta kid with second 2nd or the 3rd?....OR...is he committed to one of the bigger names despite what it may cost him in draft capital, except for Rudolph who is projected to be there at 21/22?..........

I don’t know but if he’s good enough for Belichik I would be interested 

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

People are saying 3-4 round, were thinking maybe 5-6 but Sr Bowl may have raised his stock. 

There's some stuff linked through this spreadsheet, click on TAPE by his name.  He's a classic pocket passer, plays in a pro style offense.  Makes reads, progresses nicely.  I have asked people "how do you see him differing from Peterman?" and the answer I got was "better arm".  That may be, I'm not able to judge.  He seems to have a nice sense for pressure in the pocket and the ability to shift around to evade it.  I like his footwork as best I can judge, but his mechanics do break down under pressure leading to overthrows/INTs.

The questions on him are the quality/complexity of the defenses he faced, and how smoothly he could adjust to the speed of the pro game.  He's probably the sort of QB who would benefit from sitting 2-3 years behind an established starter, as Garappolo did. 

He's the sort of QB I would be looking at if I were NYG or N'Orleans, put my high draft picks into trying to take a Championship while stocking the shelves with a potential replacement 3 years down the road.

I would say similar things about Mike White, and am not able to judge which would be better.  Most seem to favor White, who fell off this past year due to graduation of OL and WR.

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

I think McBeane should make a shot at going after either a FA or a QB who is closer to being ready.  I think Lauletta would be a great option for a team that has a starter and can let a guy sit several years to see what they've got.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I hope Beane is good at finding QB’s. I’m ready for the Bills to find one. I think 3-5 is where some of these ‘second tier’ qb’s fall. Guys who need to prove they can be coached up on certain technical deficiencies. 

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

People are saying 3-4 round, were thinking maybe 5-6 but Sr Bowl may have raised his stock. 

There's some stuff linked through this spreadsheet, click on TAPE by his name.  He's a classic pocket passer, plays in a pro style offense.  Makes reads, progresses nicely.  I have asked people "how do you see him differing from Peterman?" and the answer I got was "better arm".  That may be, I'm not able to judge.  He seems to have a nice sense for pressure in the pocket and the ability to shift around to evade it.  I like his footwork as best I can judge, but his mechanics do break down under pressure leading to overthrows/INTs.

The questions on him are the quality/complexity of the defenses he faced, and how smoothly he could adjust to the speed of the pro game.  He's probably the sort of QB who would benefit from sitting 2-3 years behind an established starter, as Garappolo did. 

He's the sort of QB I would be looking at if I were NYG or N'Orleans, put my high draft picks into trying to take a Championship while stocking the shelves with a potential replacement 3 years down the road.

I would say similar things about Mike White, and am not able to judge which would be better.  Most seem to favor White, who fell off this past year due to graduation of OL and WR.

I think McBeane should make a shot at going after either a FA or a QB who is closer to being ready.  I think Lauletta would be a great option for a team that has a starter and can let a guy sit several years to see what they've got.

Mccarron?

On 2/24/2018 at 4:35 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Honestly the conference that Richmond plays in, the CAA, is just as good as most Group of 5 conferences in the FBS.

He will need time to adjust but he is basically going up against the same type of competition that Mike White faced on a week to week basis besides maybe a couple of teams 

4 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Honestly the conference that Richmond plays in, the CAA, is just as good as most Group of 5 conferences in the FBS.

Not quite sure what you mean here..but while the CAA is the SEC of FCS, and it can no way hold a candle to any of the power 5 conferences, and for that matter the MAC or Mountain West. 

I have been a Richmond season ticket holder and CAA fan for 15 years..trust me there is a noticeable difference.

That's not to say there are not great coaches, great players, and the occasional team that maybe should be ranked in a Top 25 poll, but overall the two levels cannot be compared.

• Thank you (+1) 2

On 2/24/2018 at 7:37 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Mccarron?

I'll say this:

With a great QB draft class and an unusual number of 3-4 FA QB who have proven themselves able to play in the NFL this year, I would be extremely disappointed if the QB resulting of Beane's cap space and draft pick manipulations were to be AJ McCarron and/or Kyle Lauletta.

That's not to say I think they're both junk - I don't, I think they might both be able to be good QB eventually.  But they're both "dark horses", and I'm tired of the dark horse being the end-all of Bills QB acquisition strategy.  The main ? with Lauletta is the level of competition he faced.

I want to see us make a push for a top-tier FA/trade and then use a lower round pick on a QB such as White or Lauletta.  Or, if we draft, say Rosen, or Mayfield,

sign a dark horse 2nd tier fa such as McCarron.

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

He is a LAX bro and his father played football at Navy. All signs point to Belichick.

If by "all signs" you mean "common associations like the ones that had B'lo drafting Ryan Nassib" (wait.....) I agree

4 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

I love Kyle Lauletta in the 2nd round. I'd actually rather not go QB RD1. I like the idea of burning a 2nd on Lauletta and bringing Fitzpatrick back for a year to mentor him.

If you draft Lauletta I think you better give him 2 years, maybe 3.  I could be wrong. 

Jackson or Rudolph might do with 1?

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'll say this:

With a great QB draft class and an unusual number of 3-4 FA QB who have proven themselves able to play in the NFL this year, I would be extremely disappointed if the QB resulting of Beane's cap space and draft pick manipulations were to be AJ McCarron and/or Kyle Lauletta.

That's not to say I think they're both junk - I don't.  But they're both "dark horses", and I'm tired of the dark horse being the end-all of Bills QB acquisition strategy.

I want to see us make a push for a top-tier FA/trade and then use a lower round pick on a QB such as White or Lauletta.  Or, if we draft, say Rosen, or Mayfield,

sign a dark horse 2nd tier fa such as McCarron.

If by "all signs" you mean "common associations like the ones that had B'lo drafting Ryan Nassib" I agree

Lol What!? Trying to guess what a Bills GM will do is impossible because they are constantly changing. Once you know the player profile they prefer you can be sure they are almost fired. Hopefully it's different with Beane.

Belichick's love for the armed forces and Navy in particular is well documented. The LAX thing also has been around for years. Then factor in that early reports in and around the senior bowl... or just read this so you don't have to listen to me ramble!

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2018-senior-bowl-one-player-scientifically-engineered-to-be-bill-belichicks-perfect-qb/amp/

49 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

I have read this previously, and I think it is all fluff.  There's nothing about science, or engineering, or any particular insight as to why Lauletta's QB skills will appeal to Belichick.  What it amounts to is there is a connection between Lauletta's family and Navy, and between Belichick and Navy, as well as a connection between Lacross and Lauletta and Belichick and Lauletta.

There's nothing there that makes one believe Belichick will covet Lauletta as a football player.  When I read Lauletta's draft profile, it doesn't sound like Jimmy Garappolo to me. 

It's all on the level of "Bills will draft Ryan Nassib in the 1st because, Doug Marrone connection"

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have read this previously, and I think it is all fluff.  There's nothing about science, or engineering, or any particular insight as to why Lauletta's QB skills will appeal to Belichick.  What it amounts to is there is a connection between Lauletta's family and Navy, and between Belichick and Navy, as well as a connection between Lacross and Lauletta and Belichick and Lauletta.

There's nothing there that makes one believe Belichick will covet Lauletta as a football player.  When I read Lauletta's draft profile, it doesn't sound like Jimmy Garappolo to me. 

It's all on the level of "Bills will draft Ryan Nassib in the 1st because, Doug Marrone connection"

His draft profile sounds nothing like Garappolo?   

How about them having nearly identical height, weight, and arm length? How about both of them being praised for how they process information and reads? Or their nearly identical completion percentages in their senior years? Both played for 1-AA schools? Both guys shined at the senior bowl?

I don't know what else you are looking for!

Nassib played for Marrone so he was linked to him as a HC. In what way is that comparable to this situation? Lauletta certainly fits the draft profile for B.B. and I hope this makes the Bills and their scouts take a 2nd and 3rd look at the young man. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/19/quarterback-free-agency-draft-peter-king-mmqb

1 hour ago, Commonsense said:

Nassib played for Marrone so he was linked to him as a HC. In what way is that comparable to this situation? Lauletta certainly fits the draft profile for B.B. and I hope this makes the Bills and their scouts take a 2nd and 3rd look at the young man. 

It is comparable to the situation in that Lauletta is being linked to Belichek because of factors other than actual physical talent and play on the field relative to other draftees, just as Nassib was linked to Marrone due to same.

Garappolo draft profile from NFL.com:

Has a very quick trigger and good wrist snap that translates to a smooth throwing motion and clean, compact delivery (no windup). Lightning release quickness. Urgent decision maker. Sells play-action. Athletic enough to slide in the pocket and buy time with his feet while keeping his eyes downfield. Good anticipation -- throws his receivers open. Can change ball speeds and drop it in a bucket. Does not take unnecessary sacks and will dump the ball. Will deliver the ball looking down the barrel of a gun. Tough-minded and poised in the pocket -- can withstand a hit and pop back up. Highly competitive. Smart, respected, vocal team leader. Very durable, experienced, four-year starter.

Is a tad undersized with small hands and short arms. Uses a three-quarters delivery that could lead to batted balls. Works heavily out of the shotgun in a spread offense, and footwork could require adjustment to working from under center. Does not always feel pressure in the pocket. Does not rip the deep out or drive the ball with high RPMs. Undershoots and often hangs the deep ball. Makes receivers work for the ball downfield, and deep accuracy could stand to improve. Makes a lot of simple, one-look reads and was not heavily challenged by consistent pressure or complex looks in the Ohio Valley Conference.

Lauletta draft profile from NFL.com

Heralded by scouts as team leader and elected team captain twice. Production saw major spike over the last two seasons. Uses eyes to move linebackers out of his passing lanes on slants and curls. Won't automatically dump throws down to backs. Willing to let route combinations progress while climbing and sliding away from heat. Has experience from shotgun, pistol and under center. Footwork is smooth in play-action and setup. Comfortable throwing on the move. Gets it out early on timing throws. Spins a tight spiral. Able to throw accurately to intermediate targets on the move.

Arm strength is a substantial concern. Uses excessive trajectory to get additional distance on deep throws. Pop fly throws allow safeties time to park under the long ball and make plays. Can't make all the NFL throws. Ball doesn't come off hand with much velocity. Will ignore safety movement and throw into double teams at times. Perception of pressure can affect him. Will drop eyes and start looking for an exit strategy. Feet start dancing nervously when his internal clock goes off. May not have the mobility to be effective scrambler on next level.

What I took from that as well as having watched film on Lauletta:

1. Garappolo was felt to have a smooth, effective throwing motion and to be able to make all the throws.  Lauletta is seen as "can't" - as throwing rainbows, and lacking that instinctive wrist-snap that may be hard to coach up.

2. Garappolo was felt to have that instinctive sense for pressure/ability to slide around in the pocket.   Lauletta may feel "phantom pressure" and bail, but not have the speed/agility to make that work in the NFL.

Maybe Belichick will like him, maybe he won't, but I think early takes that B. will love Lauletta because Lacross. And Navy. are just lazy journalism.

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It is comparable to the situation in that Lauletta is being linked to Belichek because of factors other than actual physical talent and play on the field relative to other draftees, just as Nassib was linked to Marrone due to same.

Garappolo draft profile from NFL.com:

Has a very quick trigger and good wrist snap that translates to a smooth throwing motion and clean, compact delivery (no windup). Lightning release quickness. Urgent decision maker. Sells play-action. Athletic enough to slide in the pocket and buy time with his feet while keeping his eyes downfield. Good anticipation -- throws his receivers open. Can change ball speeds and drop it in a bucket. Does not take unnecessary sacks and will dump the ball. Will deliver the ball looking down the barrel of a gun. Tough-minded and poised in the pocket -- can withstand a hit and pop back up. Highly competitive. Smart, respected, vocal team leader. Very durable, experienced, four-year starter.

Is a tad undersized with small hands and short arms. Uses a three-quarters delivery that could lead to batted balls. Works heavily out of the shotgun in a spread offense, and footwork could require adjustment to working from under center. Does not always feel pressure in the pocket. Does not rip the deep out or drive the ball with high RPMs. Undershoots and often hangs the deep ball. Makes receivers work for the ball downfield, and deep accuracy could stand to improve. Makes a lot of simple, one-look reads and was not heavily challenged by consistent pressure or complex looks in the Ohio Valley Conference.

Lauletta draft profile from NFL.com

Heralded by scouts as team leader and elected team captain twice. Production saw major spike over the last two seasons. Uses eyes to move linebackers out of his passing lanes on slants and curls. Won't automatically dump throws down to backs. Willing to let route combinations progress while climbing and sliding away from heat. Has experience from shotgun, pistol and under center. Footwork is smooth in play-action and setup. Comfortable throwing on the move. Gets it out early on timing throws. Spins a tight spiral. Able to throw accurately to intermediate targets on the move.

Arm strength is a substantial concern. Uses excessive trajectory to get additional distance on deep throws. Pop fly throws allow safeties time to park under the long ball and make plays. Can't make all the NFL throws. Ball doesn't come off hand with much velocity. Will ignore safety movement and throw into double teams at times. Perception of pressure can affect him. Will drop eyes and start looking for an exit strategy. Feet start dancing nervously when his internal clock goes off. May not have the mobility to be effective scrambler on next level.

What I took from that as well as having watched film on Lauletta:

1. Garappolo was felt to have a smooth, effective throwing motion and to be able to make all the throws.  Lauletta is seen as "can't" - as throwing rainbows, and lacking that instinctive wrist-snap that may be hard to coach up.

2. Garappolo was felt to have that instinctive sense for pressure/ability to slide around in the pocket.   Lauletta may feel "phantom pressure" and bail, but not have the speed/agility to make that work in the NFL.

Maybe Belichick will like him, maybe he won't, but I think early takes that B. will love Lauletta because Lacross. And Navy. are just lazy journalism.

We shall see. Do you have any links to the Lauletta video? I'd like to see more of him. He mentioned already being scouted by the Pats so I think there is something there. The local media was all over him after the senior bowl. Did you watch it? Was his arm as bad as this scouting report suggests? 

Just pulled up the Senior Bowl throws and he has plenty of zip on his passes. He deeper throw certainly wasn't as pretty Jimmy G. I will look at more later. I haven't seen any of this kid, I just give the Pats the benefit of doubt with evaluating QB. I want a guy who can process the game and make the throws. 

Edited by Commonsense