Putting down a dog (or other pet)

7 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

My wife says that the goodbyes are too hard. No more pets. 

Not even a pet rock?   :)

I get that sentiment, but I would hate to lose years of joy and companionship for a relatively brief, if horrible, period of grief.  We will all lose pets, parents, siblings, and sadly even children at times. I’m still glad I had them  in my life. 

But I get it.. It sure can hurt....

We had to put down our 12 year old Bernese Mountain Dog a long time ago. It was terribly difficult. I cried for a few days. 

He's the only pet we've ever had. 

My condolences and man-hug for your grief.

6 hours ago, row_33 said:

6 hours ago, row_33 said:

Cats will tell you when they've had enough.... those in my life would find a new hiding place and not come out for a long time...

Sure. My mother-in-law had two cats. One disappeared for a couple of months. The cleaning lady found it under one of the twin beds in her guest bedroom... It was flat. Like a slipper flat.

M-i-L was about 85 at the time. 

49 minutes ago, Augie said:

Not even a pet rock?   :)

I get that sentiment, but I would hate to lose years of joy and companionship for a relatively brief, if horrible, period of grief.  We will all lose pets, parents, siblings, and sadly even children at times. I’m still glad I had them  in my life. 

But I get it.. It sure can hurt....

She has had four dogs in her life. The last one was 15 years old when she started to waste away to skin and bones. It will take a long time to get over the loss. She says she can’t go through it again.

19 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

She has had four dogs in her life. The last one was 15 years old when she started to waste away to skin and bones. It will take a long time to get over the loss. She says she can’t go through it again.

I’m on my 6th Golden Retriever. (We had a couple hyper pointers when I was young who “went to a beautiful farm”.)  Lost the first 5 Goldens to cancer of some type. Gracie is now 8. We saw a Golden puppy at a sidewalk cafe last weekend. We could use a little joy in our lives right now. The current topic is will Gracie embrace a new buddy or get jealous. 

14 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

My wife says that the goodbyes are too hard. No more pets. 

My wife's saying the same thing.  But she's so crazy about animals (she once tried to pet a water moccasin) that I'm pretty sure the "no more cats" thing will last about three days after we lose our last one.

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

My wife's saying the same thing.  But she's so crazy about animals (she once tried to pet a water moccasin) that I'm pretty sure the "no more cats" thing will last about three days after we lose our last one.

just stroll by a kitten or adult cat in a cage waiting for adoption....

6 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Is that crazy about animals or just, ya know.....crazy?    :)

Every situation and person is different, so whatever your gut tells you is probably correct.

Things to know going in:

1.  Ask your vet to give the dog a sedative to make sure they're not awake when that "death cocktail" is administered.  I learned this the hard way and I'll never forget the look of pain in my first dog's eyes when that **** hit. 

2.  It happens really fast and it sucks a lot.  Our vet has a special room with an exit to outside, so you don't have to display your emotions to everyone in the place on your way out.

3.  Go get yourself another dog.  There's a great dog facing death row in a shelter right now that will be a great addition to your family.  The family member you're losing will be grateful to have left such a legacy and the life you actually save is your own.  I'm at the point now that I go straight from the vet to pick up the new dog.  It may sound a little weird but I promise, it's seriously helped my family grieve in a better way.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Alaska Darin said:

Every situation and person is different, so whatever your gut tells you is probably correct.

Things to know going in:

1.  Ask your vet to give the dog a sedative to make sure they're not awake when that "death cocktail" is administered.  I learned this the hard way and I'll never forget the look of pain in my first dog's eyes when that **** hit. 

2.  It happens really fast and it sucks a lot.  Our vet has a special room with an exit to outside, so you don't have to display your emotions to everyone in the place on your way out.

3.  Go get yourself another dog.  There's a great dog facing death row in a shelter right now that will be a great addition to your family.  The family member you're losing will be grateful to have left such a legacy and the life you actually save is your own.

1 & 2, it was best to put the cat out by sedative before the final plunge. A few times an old cat has screamed while it's broken circulatory system took 2 minutes for the lethal dose to run it's course.

Get another pet shortly thereafter, but some are really hurt by the trauma of letting go and really don't want to get another pet.

Each time I've told the vet we should be so lucky to have it end this simply, to which he or she has nodded in agreement completely....

When we put our dog down 3 years ago my wife said she couldn't go.  I was going to take her by myself but my son(who was 10 at the time) insisted that he wanted to go.  My wife didn't want him to but I said if he wants to come he could come.  To this day he says he was glad he made that choice.  If your loved ones want to come let them come.   The more comfort the better at a tough time like this.

& I will second AD's suggestion of a sedative.  That look of fear on my dog's face when cocktail was given still haunts me to this day. 

We had two dogs for 15 years who we had to put down, oddly, within a month of each other in Spring 2015.  The sedative is a MUST.  We told our kids (10 and 6 at the time) to say goodbye because we were taking the dog(s) to the vet and they may not be there when the kids got home from school.  That might have been as much for the kids as for us, because neither my wife nor I had ever taken a dog to be put down before.

When it came time, I held the dog in my arms when the shots where given. I felt the life go from the body.  Haunting, but I wouldn't want my dogs to die any other way.  Peaceful in my arms.  

As for getting another dog, you will know when (if) you are ready.  We waited a bit and rescued a husky in April 2016 and then another in July 2017, so we again have two dogs.  But it took a while.

EDIT: Might be cliche, but this gave me some comfort.

https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

Edited by bills_fan

My last dog was the best dog in the whole wide world. We got him when my son was 5. When the time came to put him down, my husband was OOT. My husband volunteered to fly back early from his business trip so my son did not have to go with me (that dog was 90# and had to be lifted into the vehicle, and I could not do it). My son was 19 at the time, and gratefully accepted the offer. 

We were there for him and petting him as they put him to sleep. I cried for a long time afterward (his ashes are in the curio in my living room). I loved that dog so much and I still have his collar and tags.

Our current dog has a disease that he is way past longterm prognosis on, and he relapsed again two weeks ago. The meds do not seem to be as effective this time around (he relapsed twice before), and we are discussing options. There is no way I want him to suffer (right now his pain meds are doing their job while we are waiting for his other medications to mitigate the condition).  In any event, I know his remaining time with is limited. It could be next week or a few months from now. It would be a miracle if it was a year.

When this dog was first diagnosed three and a half years ago, we were devastated to think we would lose him (we took him to Cornell, and they saved him).  He's a tough little guy though, and we have had him for many years more than we should have in light of his condition. While I know I will cry when he passes, I can take comfort in the extra time we have had with him.

I am done with pets, however.  Yes, there is much joy in having one, but the sadness when they leave us is truly devastating.

Well today is the big day.  Taking him in at 5:00.  Have had some good chats with the fam and where this has fallen is, I'm doing it alone.  He really has been "my dog" for many years so it's probably appropriate. 

I want to thank all of you for your support and suggestions.   Very helpful.

• Sad 1