Is Vita Vea an NT?

Bakin

On 1/22/2018 at 2:42 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Yea I think he's probably a 1 tech and 3 tech. He's way too tall to be a traditional 0 tech nose 

Our two best NTs of all time (with apologies to Freddy), were Ted Washington and Pat Williams, 6’4” and 6’3” inches, respectively. Height is not a concern if a nose tackle can consistently play with the proper pad level. There have been many great NTs who were tall.

8 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Our two best NTs of all time (with apologies to Freddy), were Ted Washington and Pat Williams, 6’4” and 6’3” inches, respectively. Height is not a concern if a nose tackle can consistently play with the proper pad level. There have been many great NTs who were tall.

Thats true but the game is changing. It's tough to get lower than a 6'1 guy when your 6'5

And he's listed at 6'5 taller than mount Washington and Pat

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Thats true but the game is changing. It's tough to get lower than a 6'1 guy when your 6'5

And he's listed at 6'5 taller than mount Washington and Pat

What aspect is changing? Are you suggesting there is a movement towards shorter centers and guards in the league? Interior OLmen average 6’4”. 

I won’t belabor the point so I’ll just say that height is not a concern for a nose tackle if his technique is sound. And if it isn’t, it won’t matter if he’s shorter, anyway. 

26 minutes ago, K-9 said:

What aspect is changing? Are you suggesting there is a movement towards shorter centers and guards in the league? Interior OLmen average 6’4”. 

I won’t belabor the point so I’ll just say that height is not a concern for a nose tackle if his technique is sound. And if it isn’t, it won’t matter if he’s shorter, anyway. 

Well first I never said he couldn't play nose tackle. Just that he is a bit taller than your average Nose and is probably a better 1 tech.

technique is exactly what's changing.15-20 years ago Nose Tackles could rely on their size and strength. You couldn't move mount washington regardless if you got under him.

now offensive lineman , especially centers , have very good technique. The average center is around 6'3. 

A 6'3 center with good technique should win alot of the matchups vs a 6'5 vea at the nose. It's not a knock on vea 

if he's a 0 tech Nose, he will have to fight hard every play for leverage... the center is fighting for leverage as well... 

Damon Harrison is the perfect example of a modern 0 Tech when he was with the jets. 

6'3 340...

not that Vea cannot do it... he just has to play very technique sound football every play. He's a bit tall.

Alan Branch is 6'6 350 and has played Strong side end, 1 tech, 3 tech and the nose

he is very similar to Vea to me

Edited by Buffalo716

33 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well first I never said he couldn't play nose tackle. Just that he is a bit taller than your average Nose and is probably a better 1 tech.

technique is exactly what's changing.15-20 years ago Nose Tackles could rely on their size and strength. You couldn't move mount washington regardless if you got under him.

now offensive lineman , especially centers , have very good technique. The average center is around 6'3. 

A 6'3 center with good technique should win alot of the matchups vs a 6'5 vea at the nose. It's not a knock on vea 

if he's a 0 tech Nose, he will have to fight hard every play for leverage... the center is fighting for leverage as well... 

Damon Harrison is the perfect example of a modern 0 Tech when he was with the jets. 

6'3 340...

not that Vea cannot do it... he just has to play very technique sound football every play. He's a bit tall.

Alan Branch is 6'6 350 and has played Strong side end, 1 tech, 3 tech and the nose

he is very similar to Vea to me

Every NT, regardless of height is going to have to play sound technique or he is gonna get his ass handed to him, regardless of his height. Height is simply not the concern you make it sound like it is. In fact, all things being equal between a 6'5" or a 6'3" NT, most coaches would prefer the taller player. 

I don't agree that technique has undergone some grand evolution, either. Line play, since time began, is about leverage. Athletes and schemes have changed, but that's not the same thing. 

I think your comparison to Branch is spot on. Vea can play any of the interior positions on the DL and his ability in that regard is what sets him apart. 

29 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Every NT, regardless of height is going to have to play sound technique or he is gonna get his ass handed to him, regardless of his height. Height is simply not the concern you make it sound like it is. In fact, all things being equal between a 6'5" or a 6'3" NT, most coaches would prefer the taller player. 

I don't agree that technique has undergone some grand evolution, either. Line play, since time began, is about leverage. Athletes and schemes have changed, but that's not the same thing. 

I think your comparison to Branch is spot on. Vea can play any of the interior positions on the DL and his ability in that regard is what sets him apart. 

I may make too much out of height 

but the brand of football I was brought up On and the style of 34 defense i coach I prefer shorter NTs and longer DEs. I drool over 6'5 310 lb ends . Muhammad Wilkerson type

hes a great player and certainly versatile. It really is pointless to argue the height because it's not like he's 6'8

i just think he's probably a better fit in a 43 defense as a 1 technique 

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

I may make too much out of height 

but the brand of football I was brought up On and the style of 34 defense i coach I prefer shorter NTs and longer DEs. I drool over 6'5 310 lb ends . Muhammad Wilkerson type

hes a great player and certainly versatile. It really is pointless to argue the height because it's not like he's 6'8

i just think he's probably a better fit in a 43 defense as a 1 technique 

My favorite Wilkerson photo. Freakishly long arms. 

CTqDEqzXAAACXWn.jpg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.