Relax Jets Fans, (and Bills Fans), Doug Marrone Was Not Going To Save The Franchise

BuffaloRush

Below is a great article from Manish Meta of the New York Daily News.  Manish certainly does talk trash about the Bills, but this article is a good read. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/relax-jets-fans-doug-marrone-wasn-save-franchise-article-1.3757872

Basically it points out two of the most important factors in Doug Marrone's success in Jacksonville.

1. The great talent that David Caldwell brought to the team (after drafting high for years) finally living up to potential.  I might add in the big free agents acquisitions this year as well. 

2. But most importantly, Doug learned from the mistakes he made as a 1st time coach in Buffalo.  It does mention that people in Buffalo hated him and that he treated people in the building (and the media) very badly.  

Meta is astute to point out that he probably wouldn't have had the same success with the Jets because he'd be acquiring a much different team.  You can say the same thing for the Bills as well - though had Pegulas gone through and hired Polian to run football operations, there's a chance that Marrone stays, Whaley goes and Chris Polian is brought in as GM.  Who knows what happens then.  

He's had a good year, but that's really all it is. A good year. Fournette and one of those corners go down its a completely different team.

Lets see him have some sustainable success before he's crowned. Lets see how he manages a football team with as many "colorful" attitudes as the Jags have. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, JoeF said:

I suspect that Coach Marrone has really benefitted from having a mentor in Coughlin he can call on at any time.  That was lacking with the Jets as well.

My thoughts are similar here. Marrone idolizes Coughlin. If TC said jump, DM wouldn't even say "how high" he'd just jump until Coughlin told him to stop. I wonder how much influence Coughlin has in terms of coaching. Seems like Marrone wouldn't hesitate to defer to him on anything.

I feel like Marrone fell into a pretty favorable situation. Jags have had early round picks for the last five or six years, those players are finally playing as advertised. Plus, much like his time in Buffalo, he's enjoying a successful defense with a nasty DL. 

Can both teams lose the AFC Championship? That'd be super. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

My thoughts are similar here. Marrone idolizes Coughlin. If TC said jump, DM wouldn't even say "how high" he'd just jump until Coughlin told him to stop. I wonder how much influence Coughlin has in terms of coaching. Seems like Marrone wouldn't hesitate to defer to him on anything.

I feel like Marrone fell into a pretty favorable situation. Jags have had early round picks for the last five or six years, those players are finally playing as advertised. Plus, much like his time in Buffalo, he's enjoying a successful defense with a nasty DL. 

Can both teams lose the AFC Championship? That'd be super. 

Sinkhole opens up at the Razor on Sunday during the game.....consumes both teams and Belichick takes his rightful place as the Lord of Darkness. 

I remember reading on this forum long ago that Doug would never be a HC again. Then they laughed at him for ending up as a offensive line coach. Then I read in here that he would never get along with Tom Coughlin because they both had big egos. Now all his success is strictly because of Tom Coughlin and he's just a yes man. 

Some of you have been haters so long your becoming fans. I wouldn't rather have Doug man but you can give him a slice of credit.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Everyone ripped the Bills for the $4 million opt out clause.  But really can't blame anyone IMO.  The clause only came into effect if and when RW died and the team is sold.  Can see if I'm ready to sign a contract to coach the Bills and there's a good chance my contract will out last RW, I'd want something in there that gives me an out if the team is sold and maybe moved someplace I have no desire to move to. Or maybe the team is bought by someone I really hate (Trump) or is taken over by someone who doesn't want to spend any money.  So he have an out. 

And really can't blame the Bills for agreeing to it as what coach has ever walked away from an NFL head coaching position.  There was a good chance RB and Mary Wilson knew long before RW died who was buying the team and where they'd be located.  So figured the team isn't going anywhere, coaches don't walk away from current jobs, so was a very safe totally free insurance policy to add the opt out.  And I'm sure if Marrone wasn't so sure he was getting the Jets HC job he never would have left either.  Not sure what exactly happened there, possibly the Jet's soured on him purely because he walked away.  So left him out in the cold, but $4 mil buys plenty of winter coats.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I remember reading on this forum long ago that Doug would never be a HC again. Then they laughed at him for ending up as a offensive line coach. Then I read in here that he would never get along with Tom Coughlin because they both had big egos. Now all his success is strictly because of Tom Coughlin and he's just a yes man. 

Some of you have been haters so long your becoming fans. I wouldn't rather have Doug man but you can give him a slice of credit.

I agree with this. I simultaneously think he was a jerk the *way* he left the team, and that he was terrible communicator and “just ok” coach when he was here... but absolutely deserves credit for where he has this Jags team. They were 3-13 last year! 

Edited by YoloinOhio

30 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Everyone ripped the Bills for the $4 million opt out clause.  But really can't blame anyone IMO.  The clause only came into effect if and when RW died and the team is sold.  Can see if I'm ready to sign a contract to coach the Bills and there's a good chance my contract will out last RW, I'd want something in there that gives me an out if the team is sold and maybe moved someplace I have no desire to move to. Or maybe the team is bought by someone I really hate (Trump) or is taken over by someone who doesn't want to spend any money.  So he have an out. 

And really can't blame the Bills for agreeing to it as what coach has ever walked away from an NFL head coaching position.  There was a good chance RB and Mary Wilson knew long before RW died who was buying the team and where they'd be located.  So figured the team isn't going anywhere, coaches don't walk away from current jobs, so was a very safe totally free insurance policy to add the opt out.  And I'm sure if Marrone wasn't so sure he was getting the Jets HC job he never would have left either.  Not sure what exactly happened there, possibly the Jet's soured on him purely because he walked away.  So left him out in the cold, but $4 mil buys plenty of winter coats.

I think there started to be rumblings of tampering & the Jets didn't want to get nailed for a draft pick & fine so they backed off.