Is DACA Issue Just A Dem Slight Of Hand?

3rdnlng

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 9:01 AM, Koko78 said:

Why are the Democrats holding the country hostage by threatening to shut down the government to protect illegal aliens?

Will News Media Recall Schumer’s 2013 Vow to Not Shutdown Over Immigration?

NO................................... NEXT QUESTION?

Edited by B-Man

43 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Military payroll - in this moment of tension and crisis that could invite some bad actors to do something nutty.

I believe military operations are considered critical and not shut down.

"Government shutdowns" aren't total.  They're rarely even significant; too many functions considered "critical" (like FSIS).

Just now, DC Tom said:

I believe military operations are considered critical and not shut down.

"Government shutdowns" aren't total.  They're rarely even significant; too many functions considered "critical" (like FSIS).

I was under the impression that those in the military are ordered to report during a shutdown if their duties are considered critical (which is a significant percentage) - but their pay is still delayed. Is that not accurate?

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I was under the impression that those in the military are ordered to report during a shutdown if their duties are considered critical (which is a significant percentage) - but their pay is still delayed. Is that not accurate?

Might be delayed, but it' certainly not denied.

Hell, the first thing Congress does after a shutdown is authorize paying all the government employees forced to take off for the time they didn't work.

And I know that when I've worked through shutdowns, I've always gotten paid in full and on time.

• Like (+1) 1

Even one blames everyone. 

2 years ago with the Republican majority there were still threats of shutting down the govt.  

this crap isn’t new.  Rinse and repeat. 

“Believe me” Trump    It’s all the Democrats fault.  

Donny said he wanted a smaller govt.  

He may get his wish.  

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

One wonders if, this time, the President will shut down the government by telling DOI to work overtime shutting down national parks and monuments.  

I it means he can’t go golfing and they cut off his cable TV  I don’t see any harm.  

;);)

Oh and the WIFI he uses to tweet 

JUST IN: Democrats have enough votes to block the spending bill in the Senate and prevent Republicans from keeping the government up and running, senior Democratic aide tells @NBCNews

B-b-but... that sounds like Democrats are shutting down the govt. #NarrativeFAIL

Democrats choose ILLEGAL ALIENS Over poor LEGAL American Children and the military

Edited by B-Man

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I was wondering why Republicans were dragging their feet on CHIP over the last couple of months.  Now I know.  Smooth move.

How a Minority Party CAN Shut Down Gov’t, Made Simple Enough for Even “Purposefully Obtuse” Media to Get

Brendan Buck, Counselor to Speaker of the House Paul Ryan, has an outstanding tweet thread posted tonight that perfectly spells out what should have already been abundantly obvious about the potential for a gov’t shutdown despite one party controlling the House, the Senate, and the Executive.

The media has been playing dumb all day, dancing to Nancy Pelosi’s skeletal tune. But there is no question the minority party has the power to do it. And there is no question that this was their specific intent. Their desired outcome was a government shutdown. It’s simply not a question.

Here you go:

Now that the House has voted to keep the government open, excuse me as I take a minute to set some things straight about a potential shutdown and the whole blame game thing.

While it is a *very* smart take to point out Rs have a majority in the House and Senate, it is also purposefully obtuse to ignore that in the Senate a minority can filibuster and block any legislation.

In fact, that is what Democrats suggest they intend to do: require 60 votes to keep the government open and to fund children’s health insurance.

What should be pretty obvious at this point is Democrats are TRYING to shut down the government. That, quite clearly, is their stated strategy.

This is not a on-one-hand-but-on-the-other situation. They’re not even hiding it. Democrats are openly saying they are using the filibuster to shut down the government to try to get something entirely unrelated.

I stress that Democrats are asking for something entirely unrelated. Because, to be clear, Democrats have no underlying objection to the CR or CHIP. They are, quite openly, voting ‘no' in an attempt to force action on something else.

We are not jamming anything on Democrats they don’t support. We’re just saying keep the government open and fund children’s health insurance while we continue to work out a deal on DACA.

But no, shut it down, they say.

As Chuck Schumer described this tactic in 2013, it’s “governmental chaos.”

Yet, now they are bragging about it to their base.

Tomes have been written about the shift of the Republican party under 8 yrs of Obama. Yet it has taken less than a year of a new president for Democrat's base to say you’re a traitor unless you shut down the government… and for Senators to go right along.

Right now, Senator Schumer is rallying his members to block a bill to keep the government open – all to extort something unrelated.

But yes, or course, who is to blame?

You can, and I am sure many thousands of social media users will, debate the relative applicability of the word “unrelated”. You can argue that the Democrats were given an unreasonable set of options. But you cannot, as the media has been doing, argue that this is somehow the Republicans shutting down the government.

In plain English, the Republicans voted for funding the government (and CHIP), and the Democrats voted against it. The Democrats voted to shut down the government.

That’s just what happened.

Edited by B-Man

Good god, just pass a DACA bill already. The vast majority of Americans want it, the Senate reached a deal on it, the President said he would sign it but then rejected it. What a farce

Good for the Democrats standing up for these people! 

But Trump is off to $100,000 a guest party

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Nanker said:

!@#$ DACA. It doesn’t expire until March. Fund the military and the government. Azzholes. 

Military isn't impacted by the faux "shutdown".

Last time this happened the Obama Administration printed up signs reminding park visitors know that parks were closed due to the shutdown

This time Trump should print up signs reminding the FBI that their offices were closed due to the shutdown.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Military isn't impacted by the faux "shutdown".

Last time this happened the Obama Administration printed up signs reminding park visitors know that parks were closed due to the shutdown

This time Trump should print up signs reminding the FBI that their offices were closed due to the shutdown.

Don't forget putting up barriers and armed guards ensuring that people cannot get to federal parks and monuments that aren't staffed anyhow.