Situational Football

boco357

I am so sick of watching this team, regime after regime play so unaware.  How hard is it to run to the line after a borderline play and get a play off.  They took like 25-30 seconds after the Clay sideline play.  They lollygagged after the fortunate spot on Mccoy first down as well.  I will give McDermott a pass this year, but he has to improve in year 2.

3 minutes ago, peterpan said:

I'm shocked you didn't mention the play calling at the end of the half...Which allowed them to save two timeouts and resulted in them getting 3 points. 

That too.  More focused on waiting for a bad play call to come in and probably a qb sneak would get more yardage.

This in an area I actually think we have improved upon this year. The team (especially defensively and Special teams) seems very prepared and aware of game situations. When situations arise, we actually look like they have practiced them or been prepared for them. We are not the most talented team so we don't always execute, but players seem to be aware and prepared rather than confused like under the previous regime. 

I have been a Tyrod supported (believe he is solid) but he still lacks in the situational awareness department. Our 2 minute offense seems a little faster than in previous years but it is still too slow by NFL standards. I put a lot of the blame on Tyrod for this deficiency. How often does he use voice inflection to get opposing defenders to jump in important spots, how often is he aware to take a shot when a defender is caught off sides at the snap, being aware of the need to stick ball in tight spots when the offense has to stay on the field in critical 3rd and 4th down situations, and getting the team up to the line quickly when there is a questionable play. There are more examples but you get the point. The best quarterbacks have these situations nailed down. Maybe it is experience but I just have not seen enough improvement from Tyrod in those area to give me much confidence he will get any better. Coaching matters too but the players on the field need to react quickly in those hurry up situations and the QB needs to get his teammates moving before being reminded by coaches. 

2 minutes ago, KW95 said:

Had we scored 13 we would have won.  Just saying. 

great addition to the thread..not!

I really dislike threads saying we should have done the other thing when that other thing was no gimme. Throwing to KB in those situations is why we traded for KG in the first place. Was it a bad play or just badly executed?

49 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I really dislike threads saying we should have done the other thing when that other thing was no gimme. Throwing to KB in those situations is why we traded for KG in the first place. Was it a bad play or just badly executed?

Fair enough...however everyone in the world ( even Stevie Wonder ) saw that the Bills were running down their throats and the Defense was gassed. 

I understand about the reason we traded for KB and so on...but have some game awareness.   Had Tyrod been throwing well all day that is one thing, however it was the run that was getting us some field position.

Cheers

and deep down you know it as well, you just trying to be a devils advocate.  ( I do it all the time, so no biggie )

Run up the gut 4 straight plays. If you don't get 1 yard, you don't deserve the points. No one was even lined up over the center. I think TT could have just snuck it in anyway. PLUS, if you don't get it on 1st or 2nd, you're burning more clock and/or Jax uses their timeouts. Save the pass plays MAYBE for 3rd and 4th down - but run on 1st and 2nd for sure.

I wonder if these situations are practiced. If I was a coach, I'd make sure to rehearse a hurry up when any previous play is candidate for a review. You've got to have quick, go-to plays in these instant replay situations. If the other team is going to throw a challenge flag, they'll have to do it without a sufficient look at a replay.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, boco357 said:

I am so sick of watching this team, regime after regime play so unaware.  How hard is it to run to the line after a borderline play and get a play off.  They took like 25-30 seconds after the Clay sideline play.  They lollygagged after the fortunate spot on Mccoy first down as well.  I will give McDermott a pass this year, but he has to improve in year 2.

Agreed!  And, not even kidding, I would think this will become apparent and we learn from it during the offseason process.  Fingers crossed.

I would think this offseason more than last and any other moving forward we will see the most changes in our ideals.  Mostly, because we have a new HC learning for the first time and IMO he does learn from previous situations.  Hopefully another is we stop running the ball out of the end zone for 12-20 yards on kick offs.

15 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I wonder if these situations are practiced. If I was a coach, I'd make sure to rehearse a hurry up when any previous play is candidate for a review. You've got to have quick, go-to plays in these instant replay situations. If the other team is going to throw a challenge flag, they'll have to do it without a sufficient look at a replay.

You would think and hope.  If we don't currently, hopefully we add it to the repertoire.

2 hours ago, peterpan said:

I'm shocked you didn't mention the play calling at the end of the half...Which allowed them to save two timeouts and resulted in them getting 3 points. 

The Bills screwed the end of the first half in a whole bunch of ways.  The Bills should have had a TD and Jacksonville should not have gotten a FG so that was a 7 point swing caused by questionable decisions.  I am one that likes to be aggressive but with a minute left at the 10 yard line against that defense I would have burned their timeouts.

25 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

I know of at least one team who practices that stuff, I dont think the Bills do though.

Edited by mattynh

1 hour ago, racketmaster said:

I have been a Tyrod supported (believe he is solid)

This probably isn't the post to go off like this, and I apologize in advance...

I only skimmed the rest of your post after reading the quotes above, but how can you think he's solid and go on to admit he has deficiencies in areas that are bare minimum for starting QBs in the NFL?

Am I missing something? Does everyone get some sort of reward when they mention Tyrod is average or solid, or "the best we've had in the drought"?

This guy has our team near or at the very bottom in all team passing stats for three years now. We have a leading receiver with season catch totals in the 20's.

I think it's safe to say that Tyrod is bad. It should no longer be hip to add in any disclaimers before you mention how bad he is. He's not average. He's not solid. He's the reason we lost our first playoff game in 17 years and he had an absolutely terrible season. Did he throw a lot of interceptions? No, but he forgot to score points, and that matters more.

2 hours ago, boco357 said:

Agreed.  I think they were actually hurrying after the McCoy play as sad as that is.   The Pats have it all planned for those situations.  

21 minutes ago, fridge said:

This probably isn't the post to go off like this, and I apologize in advance...

I only skimmed the rest of your post after reading the quotes above, but how can you think he's solid and go on to admit he has deficiencies in areas that are bare minimum for starting QBs in the NFL?

Am I missing something? Does everyone get some sort of reward when they mention Tyrod is average or solid, or "the best we've had in the drought"?

This guy has our team near or at the very bottom in all team passing stats for three years now. We have a leading receiver with season catch totals in the 20's.

I think it's safe to say that Tyrod is bad. It should no longer be hip to add in any disclaimers before you mention how bad he is. He's not average. He's not solid. He's the reason we lost our first playoff game in 17 years and he had an absolutely terrible season. Did he throw a lot of interceptions? No, but he forgot to score points, and that matters more.

I believe he is solid if a team uses his skill set and schemes around what he does well. Tyrod proved to be a solid qb in 2015 and 2016. Taking away his deep threats and not using zone read runs are part of the reason his performance diminished this year. That's fine, the Bills are looking to move on from him and go to a more traditional qb. I don't have a problem with it but this offense could put up points with Tyrod in 2015 and 2016. Most teams play to their qbs strengths and try to minimize their weaknesses. Offensively, I don't think we did that very well this year. So, we were left with mostly ineffective qb play in 2017. But if you put Alex Smith in Bruce Arians systems, he would struggle and not be the same qb as if he were in Andy Reid's system. This goes for most qbs and players. So long story short, Tyrod can be an average qb if a team utilizes him correctly.  

Did you notice how freakin' many plays he was under center? Who does that with TT? BTW, Darnold almost never plays under center so if by some miracle the Bills get him, can we look forward to Dennison trying to fit another square peg into a round hole and screwing everything up? Natch.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, peterpan said:

Was it the playcalling or the execution?