A look at what Aaron Maybin is up to these days.

Just now, RuntheDamnBall said:

I don't see what at all this has to do with a public education mandate to give opportunities to all students.

This shouldn't really be about rewards.  Funding isn't a reward or a punishment.  You make the environment safe and one that promotes good learning habits.  Full stop.

Why doesn't the heat work?  Is there a real reason?  Is it a systemic issue?  Is the school incapable of maintenance to fix it?  Was it insufficiently fixed and neglected?  Are they spending money at the school to field a sports team instead of fix the heat?  Have they spent money on field trips or fancy new instruments or technology instead of the basics?

Sorry, not sorry one iota until the real information comes out instead of a puff piece. 

I still applaud Maybin for his efforts. 

3 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

The problem with the education system isn't that we spend too much on it.  It's that we spend a lot of money on prison!   Yep!  If the prison system didn't waste money you could use that to keep pumping money to Baltimore!

It couldn't be both? Most issues, especially complex ones, aren't so "black and white".  It would be my guess that there is both underfunding AND a misappropriation of funds.  There is obviously no easy answer or solution to the mess the USA has created out of its educational systems, at all levels.  

The prison system is a huge problem, and obviously not to blame directly for the currents status of many of our nation's schools. I think people are just approaching it with the common sense approach of - if we spent more laying a better foundation, then we can spend less on incarceration. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HT02 said:

We're supposed to be impressed that he's become a SJW?  Please... for the record Baltimore spends the second highest amount per student for any school district in the country.  http://www.newsweek.com/do-baltimore-schools-need-more-money-329085.  Want to be a real "hero" and help kids?  Take on the NEA and AFT.

Dollars per student is a useless metric in measuring success of schools. Budgets usually follow age demographics, meaning you'll pay a higher percentage of your budget to schools if you have a younger population, and a higher percentage of budget to healthcare if you have an older population.

There are states have have very young populations and their per student spending looks low on the surface just because they have a ton of kids, but their percentage of budget is usually quite high for education.t It's just what the population demographics demand.

Per pupil spending usually doesn't correlate to higher or lower test scores, or graduation rates, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

This post is a great example of why the internet is nauseating.  Not the OP...what it has become.

How any of you mouth breathers can turn a nice story into "DERRRR I DON'T CARE" or "DERRRRR HE SHOULD DO MORE OR SHUT UP" is beyond disheartening.

#laugh

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

Crap. Meant to quote the prison guy. Thunder gun

It could be.  But, in my case a school in our very well to do community in Ohio had heating issues. They were millions of dollars to fix and still not fixed. It was designed in the 60's to be heated via technology that was already antiquated and then used in the 70s. Where lights in the ceiling would heat rooms, essentially and certain methods were used to treat the entire heating system.

Kids often wore coats in these rooms. There were no heating vents or options in these rooms. 

Maybe this is similar. Again, all we know is this little fluff piece. 

But, without knowing the actual temperature and details and so much more we have all these white knights here exposing their moral high ground.  

2 minutes ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

Yet another great contribution.

I have made several posts in this thread. Feel free to respond to one. 

Edited by Boyst62

2 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

It could be.  But, in my case a school in our very well to do community in Ohio had heating issues. They were millions of dollars to fix and still not fixed. It was designed in the 60's to be heated via technology that was already antiquated and then used in the 70s. Where lights in the ceiling would heat rooms, essentially and certain methods were used to treat the entire heating system.

Kids often wore coats in these rooms. There were no heating vents or options in these rooms. 

Maybe this is similar. Again, all we know is this little fluff piece. 

But, without knowing the actual temperature and details and so much more we have all these white knights here exposing their moral high ground.  

I have made several posts in this thread. Feel free to respond to one. 

I already did when I mentioned mouth breathers.

"All we have is this little puff piece."

Baltimore closes public schools after students sat in cold classrooms

40 degrees per Maybin's first-aid kit thermometer.

From the article:

Here's what the school system says happened Wednesday:
-- Outdoor temperatures were typical of winter (single digits in the morning; upper 20s and lower 30s later). That continued a two-week run of chilly air, putting an extra strain on the schools' heating systems, Baltimore City Public Schools CEO Sonja Santelises said in a Facebook Live video.
-- Heating issues emerged as parts of boilers broke and pipes burst in some schools, she said, adding that drafts from leaky windows and generally "old conditions of our buildings" contributed.
-- About 60 schools -- about one-third of the school system -- reported heating issues during the school day. Maintenance teams resolved many of the issues during the day, Santelises said.
"Nobody in this city, including me, wants folks sitting around in coats and mittens all day," Santelises said.
But for a time, some students took to wearing extra layers Wednesday.

Took me literally 2 minutes to find this info.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Boyst62 said:

And this is why your side never gets anywhere. Thanks for not playing. 

I've read enough of your garbage in other threads to not waste too much time.  "The Confederate States of America" really should be all that's needed for me or anyone else on here to know how seriously to take you.

8 minutes ago, RuntheDamnBall said:

"All we have is this little puff piece."

Baltimore closes public schools after students sat in cold classrooms

40 degrees per Maybin's first-aid kit thermometer.

From the article:

Took me literally 2 minutes to find this info.

So, the school system should have cancelled school.  They took too long to be responsible. Plus, 40°, I'd like proof of that and not from someone who said they were 260 lbs.

Of course, then you get bemoaning that parents had to miss work and all that to care for their kids.

This is not hard people. 

7 minutes ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

I've read enough of your garbage in other threads to not waste too much time.  "The Confederate States of America" really should be all that's needed for me or anyone else on here to know how seriously to take you.

I do it for folks like you who enjoy the humor of life.  Good thing about cold weather, though. It snows a lot.  Snowflakes everywhere.

Edited by Boyst62

33 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

The inner cities make their choices. They can live with them.  Not one bit of love loss. This is on Baltimore to fix. The pity party, oh boo hoo...  Screw'm.

Good for Maybin to be happy or something but I don't care what he's doing so long as he is, as I said, happy.

Who is rod Watson?  

Who are you?

Who cares?

Baltimore is responsible for Baltimore. Those that don't like it should leave with those who realize it's a terrible place.   

They need a hashtag for this movement.  #?

You could be a better person starting right now. 

7 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

So, the school system should have cancelled school.  They took too long to be responsible. Plus, 40°, I'd like proof of that and not from someone who said they were 260 lbs.

Of course, then you get bemoaning that parents had to miss work and all that to care for their kids.

It's got to be great going thru life having all the answers.  Myriad reasons not to cancel school and I am sure there are school- and district-level confrontations about this all the time.  Maybe they've put in requests for funding or maintenance that have not been honored.  Sure, let's see that reported out. But I'm inclined to listen to them more than I am someone who couldn't even be bothered to find an article about the situation and wants to reduce it to his worldview.

7 minutes ago, Badthingsman said:

Maybin should sack the head of the Administrators.  It might take 3 or 4 years but he might get it done.     

Nice original Username, there Badthingsman.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, MJS said:

Dollars per student is a useless metric in measuring success of schools. Budgets usually follow age demographics, meaning you'll pay a higher percentage of your budget to schools if you have a younger population, and a higher percentage of budget to healthcare if you have an older population.

There are states have have very young populations and their per student spending looks low on the surface just because they have a ton of kids, but their percentage of budget is usually quite high for education.t It's just what the population demographics demand.

Per pupil spending usually doesn't correlate to higher or lower test scores, or graduation rates, etc.

Dollars per student is a great measure.  Age of the population has nothing to do with how much money the schools get (and waste)

42 minutes ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

Wow.  You sound like loads of fun.  I genuinely wish I could swear in this forum.

Yes the truth is often less fun than stories about not enough spending on education

6 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

Nice original Username, there Badthingsman.

I just noticed that and feel shame and guilt.  I came over from BBMB with that name.  It was my first name then I got banned on BBMB with new names several times thereafter:  Billsrulz, Coach Cleats, Thurmans Helmet.....  I don't think there is an index to show new users, who has what name.  I will change my name but don't know who the mods are or how to do that.  You were here first and I'm concerned that you are actually Bruce Smith and I'm cold and frightened.   Bad things man.  Bad things.  

Edited by Badthingsman
  • Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

You are a small person.

You are a stupid person, ok now we have both called each other names.  Next time try making a point that advances your argument instead of calling names

55 minutes ago, RuntheDamnBall said:

Do you think, at all, that that money is evenly distributed across those Baltimore schools?  Do you think, at all, about the level of PTSD some kids arrive at school facing?   Do you think, at all, that they are receiving the kind of counseling they need when the ratios in urban schools are incredibly bad for these services?  If you want to pin the issue on the teachers trying to solve the problem and the last line of defense in some cases, go ahead.  Otherwise, I'd encourage you to spend some time with my friend, the school administrator in the capital district who is dealing with kids who have seen things from your worst nightmares.

Thanks to the OP for sharing this article and showing us there is much more to life than football, and that representation really matters when it comes to who kids see teaching them.

I think corrupt school officials and greedy labor unions with left wing social agendas waste money and yelling for more from tax payers is criminal

2 hours ago, BigDingus said:

So you're saying these kids don't need heating and the lights on? Proper facilities and equipment?

If not, then Baltimore doesn't spend enough.

And if it spends the second highest amount per student, what does that say about our public education system if there are still students in these conditions? Your comment was pointless, and just tries to deflect from the issue. It's CLEARLY not enough, and we do spend way the hell too much on jails. 

No I am saying the Baltimore's corrupt school officials and greedy unions steal money from these kids not the jails

54 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

It doesn't deflect one bit from the issue. The issue is Maybin and all these Betty's are crying about no heat and no power when there are other issues that have been systemic for a long time. Pretending this is just now an issue negated the fact that it has been a historical issue; teachers/educators abuse the system and there is a ton of waste is education. 

Maybins cause may get some eyebrows raised and some $$. And he's right to fight for it, fight for what you believe in and use any status you can to advance your cause.

And here is a shifted goal.post!  

See, folks. Right here.

The problem with the education system isn't that we spend too much on it.  It's that we spend a lot of money on prison!   Yep!  If the prison system didn't waste money you could use that to keep pumping money to Baltimore!

Proof to back up your absurd claim?  Or do you just want to spout off feelings?

Too bad you weren't born to a crack head mom.  Would have loved to seen your life then. 

2 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

This is what sociopathy looks like folks.  Also, about as tone deaf as Rod Watson's recent article.

Ahh another name caller from a liberal snowflake.

6 minutes ago, HT02 said:

I think corrupt school officials and greedy labor unions with left wing social agendas waste money and yelling for more from tax payers is criminal

Great.  Since you're levying this charge, I'd like to see all the data that supports the hypothesis that this applies to Baltimore public schools at large and to Maybin's school in particular.

Also, I'm remembering why I dropped off from spending much time here.

Just now, nedboy7 said:

A "name caller"  liberal snowflake.  Man you are stupid.  Hows that.  It's not a name btw. 

Follow along jackass, I called him a name in return for his insult.  Jackass is a name

5 minutes ago, HT02 said:

Dollars per student is a great measure.  Age of the population has nothing to do with how much money the schools get (and waste).

That's simply not true. Sorry. Age of the population is directly related to how much of the budget is allocated to schools. It has to work that way. If you have a bunch of old people you have to pay more of the budget for things like healthcare. It's simple economics. I've seen the data, and I work in economic development.

Per capital measures are ALWAYS misleading.

Wasting money, regardless of how much they get, could absolutely be an issue, as you say.

4 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

WTF is wrong with Baltimore City Schools?!  Jeebus...:(

...same damn thing that wrong with Baltimore period.......ranks in the top five along with Detroit as cities that should be paved and turned into giant parking lots.....stripe it later...BTW, kudos to Maybin for his efforts outside of football  and hope he succeeds as an educator.............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 minute ago, MJS said:

That's simply not true. Sorry. Age of the population is directly related to how much of the budget is allocated to schools. It has to work that way. If you have a bunch of old people you have to pay more of the budget for things like healthcare. It's simple economics. I've seen the data, and I work in economic development.

Per capital measures are ALWAYS misleading.

Wasting money, regardless of how much they get, could absolutely be an issue, as you say.

They receive almost $18k per student and they can't supply heaters to classrooms? Allocation of that money is a different story.  If that is the problem then change that it has nothing to do with money being spent on prisons.

2 hours ago, dorquemada said:

It's a shame that the kids are the victims of such reckless idiocy of the local government in Baltimore.   the district spends over $15k per pupil per year yet can't figure out how to keep the heat on.  SOMEBODY is making out like a bandit there

Its more than 18k per student now!

9 minutes ago, RuntheDamnBall said:

Great.  Since you're levying this charge, I'd like to see all the data that supports the hypothesis that this applies to Baltimore public schools at large and to Maybin's school in particular.

Did you read the article I referenced in the original post.

21 minutes ago, HT02 said:

They receive almost $18k per student and they can't supply heaters to classrooms? Allocation of that money is a different story.  If that is the problem then change that it has nothing to do with money being spent on prisons.

Its more than 18k per student now!

Did you read the article I referenced in the original post.

The one written by the guy from the Cato Institute? Yes, I did. I missed the part about corrupt leftist SJWs etc etc in his article.

19 minutes ago, RuntheDamnBall said:

I'm in the same boat, and now I'm even questioning why I even started the OP, which I thought was a just a neat story about someone finding their calling and trying to do some good in the world.  At the end of the day, the "I've got mine, and if you don't    have yours it's your own fault" attitude is nothing new, but I'm not sure how or why it needed to take over a thread on what was otherwise just a nice story.

• Like (+1) 3

I'm going to remain hopeful that people who understand that a football team's success or failure is the result of thousands of small decisions – and who understand how regional differences can affect those teams' outcomes – can apply this same logic to the rest of life.

• Like (+1) 1