McCoy backup, why so thin at RB?

icw70

3 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

flip side; maybe the Bills arent even sniffing the playoffs if players werent kept around to build the right culture 

This is an excellent point. We have been winning on teamwork and gumption and will power and flat out wanting it more than the competition.  And excellent coaching By Coach McDermott.  NOT because We have superior talent or stats

Trust the Process.

It is often said that very serviceable running backs are relatively easy to find. And that's true. Bills found Cadet, now Murphy and Green. They can get the job done behind Shady. Question is whether the Bills should now upgrade through the draft to land their next feature back. Don't know whether RB is any kind of priority with the braintrust but if it is this is a great year to be picking one. Penny, Sony, Love in the second or third?

This RB class (2018) is stacked with talent:

Saquon Barkley - PSU

Bryce Love - Stan

Nick Chubb - Ga

Darius Guice - LSU

Damien Harris - Bama

Sony Michel - Ga

Akrum Wadley - Iowa

LJ Scott - MSU

Saw most of them play in the Bowls and any of these would be a food fit as a Shady back-up. Should be able to wait till 3rd.

4 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

Cadet was actually excellent when he was backing up shady.  Need to keep him next year....I saw enough to want him back.  don't know if he could stand up to the #1 back pounding...Shady has really in remarkable fashion until this ankle injury.

I liked cadet too

4 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

bro I agree with you, again, I was just using the other posters words to disagree with him (and agree with you!!!!!! ) my god 

I’m not your god... but i did stay at a holiday in express... 

sarcasm didn’t convey.  I’ll look closer for that going forward. 

7 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You honestly don't think the Bills would be better if we had Sammy instead of the worst WRs instead of Jordan Matthews? We won't be better with Dareus, even as an unmotivated tub of goo, than a 6th round pick? You won't rather have a young rb than Mike Tolbert?

we made the playoffs and it's awesome.  But we act like the new regime inherited the Browns? It was a 9 win type of team last year with terrible coaching.  Woth how bad the AFC is, this team could have gone really deep.  

I don't and I'll tell you why. Talent is only half of the equation. Sammy and Marcel both ran like Tarzan and played like Jane - they both had world class talent paired with the immature mindset of an underachiever. You can't have these guys on a team because they feed off of each other and kill any attempts at team cohesion. 

6 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

yea yea yea, thanks for being johnny on the spot with the correction...if you followed our discussion it was meant to say "9 win type of team" as the poster I was having the discussion with called it. Thank you for your substantial contribution to the discussion : ) 

Don't let the facts get in the way of your narrative there. I agree, best to be dismissive of reality if you're fabricating a story. 

2 hours ago, moshermw said:

This RB class (2018) is stacked with talent:

Saquon Barkley - PSU

Bryce Love - Stan

Nick Chubb - Ga

Darius Guice - LSU

Damien Harris - Bama

Sony Michel - Ga

Akrum Wadley - Iowa

LJ Scott - MSU

Saw most of them play in the Bowls and any of these would be a food fit as a Shady back-up. Should be able to wait till 3rd.

And you didn’t even add Royce Freeman. Who I’d love on Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

The standard compliment of running backs on a 53 man roster is 2 or 3.  New England seems to like more.  Buffalo started the season with 3.  I know Tolbert has limitations as well as anybody else, but he proved last Sunday that there is a role he can play.  Taiwan Jones didn't get a lot of touches, but was effective when he did run the ball.  Cadett was also effective.  Now Murphy has shown he can do a good job.  That's 5 running backs who have been on the roster at one time or another during the season, not counting fullback Patrick DiMarco.  Now, of course, the Bills have added Aaron Green to the PS.  When you have a swarm of injuries at one position, it's going to make you look thin, but I don't think the Bills have been neglectful toward the position, and the fact that Buffalo ran the ball effectively against Miami after Shady went out supports the notion that the Bills had made decent decisions at running back.  The games where Buffalo did not run the ball effectively don't appear to have been caused by a lack of depth - rather, it appears to have been occasional missuse of Tolbert (running him outside) and blocking issues on the line.

Edited by TigerJ

7 hours ago, SWATeam said:

I'll take Gaines and a 2nd all day, thanks

Getting Benjamin really makes that a great trade. I didn't like trading Sammy, but Benjamin is a top flight receiver and Gaines has been great. Even though he's been injured quite a bit, i'd like to see the team sign him long term. That 2nd round pick should be a starting LB next season.

10 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

Dareus trade was a waste considering we could have done the same thing at the end of the year and saved money, but maybe we was cancerous in the locker room, I cannot answer that one

Bills would not have saved money. They could have spread cap over multiple seasons but not the same thing.

11 hours ago, icw70 said:

I'm as pumped as any Bills fan about the playoffs!!  I'm wondering why GM Beane hasn't had a solid backup option to McCoy?  He pretty much hasn't all year?  Anyone else wonder this?  If there's a thread out there about this, I haven't seen it.  

This staff feels adequate RB's are a dime a dozen! That doesn't sound nice but it's true.  Get a guy with some shake and a good work ethic and we'll be ok!!