Remember the success rates of drafted QB's

57 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/index.ssf/2015/04/success_for_quarterbacks_picke.html

So, saying it another way, you have to draft  THREE  (high?) 1st rounders to get somebody who will get into the playoffs.............and only 13% of the first rounders will be in the top half of the league in passing.

Realize that those successful QB's were mostly picked in the top 5 slots.   We are not drafting in the one->5 slot because we are not that bad.  So we would have to repeatedly bundle up something like two first rounders and a second to get a shot at a top 5 draft pick slot. Therefore you are not just talking about spending three 1st round picks.  Maybe something like five 1st round and five 2nd round picks to get to pick three times in the top 5.

Is it worth 8 to 10 starters for that?      That is nearly an entire offense or defense.  It is one hell of an offensive line and linebacker crew......

??

Welp...we drafted Losman and EJ. We are into our 3rd. Math checks out that this next guy is the one.

That said I hope that McBeane let's the draft fall to them. Doesn't panic and just jump for the sake of jumping. I want a guy that can win...but I don't want to mortgage the future. I really think we can find our guy in the 15-19th pick range. Don't give everything away for one guy.

1 minute ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Welp...we drafted Losman and EJ. We are into our 3rd. Math checks out that this next guy is the one.

That said I hope that McBeane let's the draft fall to them. Doesn't panic and just jump for the sake of jumping. I want a guy that can win...but I don't want to mortgage the future. I really think we can find our guy in the 15-19th pick range. Don't give everything away for one guy.

Can I play craps with you sometime?

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

8 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Most important position in the game. The right QB would elevate the play of the entire team.

Just have to chose right, and for those that do the promise land awaits

Yes, but choosing and availability are equally important.  Not sure we can get the fella we want.  Seems to me we better hope there are at least three potential franchise qbs in the draft.

Edited by Dr. Who
Spelling

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Who is your current third and fourth best qb?  What would you be prepared to trade to secure them?  I like Mayfield third best, but he's not tall and has maturity issues.  Allen has questions about accuracy and level of competition.  Rudolph doesn't impress me that much, but I'm no expert.  I kinda think he might be there without a trade up.

So I have Mayfield at 3 and Rudolph at 4 currently, but my process is far from finished.  I don't like Allen at all.  I would be willing to trade up for Mayfield or Rudolph but the most I'd give up is the second 1st rounder.  I wouldn't give up multiple picks.  

I suppose I have only ever seen that second 1st round pick as being currency for a Quarterback.  We got it by trading out of a pick where in my mind we should have taken a Quarterback. As I discussed elsewhere with Badol last evening..... if my top 4 are all off the board I'd try my darnedest to punt that second 1st rounder into 2019.  

• Like (+1) 1

That second 1st rounder is where you draft the all pro offensive guard who nails down the position for a decade.  Or you might use the 8th pick to get somebody like Shane Conlan.  Or draft a Darryl Talley 11th in the second round. ...............  Notice that using high picks on the not-flashy positions gets you a winning team?

1 hour ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

That second 1st rounder is where you draft the all pro offensive guard who nails down the position for a decade.  Or you might use the 8th pick to get somebody like Shane Conlan.  Or draft a Darryl Talley 11th in the second round. ...............  Notice that using high picks on the not-flashy positions gets you a winning team?

Wait you say there is something to be said about "best player available"  I agree!!!

QB is the only position worth reaching for. But doesnt mean giving away the farm for a flyer.

6 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

http://www.cleveland.com/datacentral/index.ssf/2015/04/success_for_quarterbacks_picke.html

So, saying it another way, you have to draft  THREE  (high?) 1st rounders to get somebody who will get into the playoffs.............and only 13% of the first rounders will be in the top half of the league in passing.

Realize that those successful QB's were mostly picked in the top 5 slots.   We are not drafting in the one->5 slot because we are not that bad.  So we would have to repeatedly bundle up something like two first rounders and a second to get a shot at a top 5 draft pick slot. Therefore you are not just talking about spending three 1st round picks.  Maybe something like five 1st round and five 2nd round picks to get to pick three times in the top 5.

Is it worth 8 to 10 starters for that?      That is nearly an entire offense or defense.  It is one hell of an offensive line and linebacker crew......

??

Since when do 10 picks equal 8-10 starters?  

The Bills have drafted 1 QB in the first round in 10 years.  And they currently have two starters who were drafted in the first on the team.  Sooooooooo don't draft OL and LB's, what if they suck?

6 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The only position worth moving up in the draft for is qb. Do you think the Eagles or Rams regret trading up for their Qbs? And they both weren't thought of as good of prospects as these two.

Unless your Whaley then you trade up for a WR and down for a QB.

7 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

??

Your point is rather flimsy.  Are teams to never take a QB in the draft?  Obviously, this can’t be the case.  The FO is full of people paid to make the hard decisions and choices.  They need to do their work and the Bills should not pass up the opportunity to draft someone who can be the key guy for a decade or more.

7 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

??

How many of the 17 and 16 and half dozen cited in those three categories are common?

8 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I also love how EVERY person that thinks the way of the OP is that 

yep gonna bust on QB but every pick used to get to take the QB is going to be a starter lol

Just get YOUR guy.  If they like darnold, get him.  I don't want to trade up for like our 4th best QB on the board.  

1 hour ago, John from Hemet said:

This is expressly why the bills SHOULD draft a qb this year.....

They traded to the bottom of the 1st round last year so they could have an additional 1st this year....its like free house money

Draft a QB please

Figure we moved from 10 to 27 for an extra pick (we expected to be in the 20 range).  So we have 2 picks in 2018 in the 20 range.  That may be enough for 10ish.  Now if we throw in a 2019 1st we have the ability to move to maybe #4 in front of a denver or NYJ -  assuming the #1 overall pick isn't for sale (i think it is).