The McD decision/Kyle TD

Everyone has their own opinions on McDermott. I like him overall. I think he has done a great job with what he was given, and the playoff birth proves that. He's never been a HC at any level before so there is a learning curve. I think he has some very good ideas about building a team. I also think he's made some really bad mistakes in game, and it's just my opinion, but his choices of going for it versus punting or a FG try have been atrocious. Everyone has a different take on that and I understand that. It's not a fact it's an opinion. 

But...

i will always love McDermott and respect him for the Kyle Williams call and play. I'm positive that Dennison did not do that on his own although who knows whose idea it was. I'm positive they practiced it so it wasn't just an impromptu thing. It was in the middle of the most important game in awhile so it wasn't a gimmick play. Kyle is a remarkable athlete in that pudgy frame, and a scratch golfer, so it's not like he couldn't handle the hand eye coordination. A lot of teams use a DL as a FB in those short yardage situations. 

But it was just simply perfect to do it then and to have it work it work the way it did. And I cannot like or admire McDermott more for making that decision. It's not like an OC regardless of what you think of Dennison was going to make that call. That was a tremendous decision by McDermott and could go a long way in his team building process. 

I like him. I think he's made a lot of good decisions and a lot of glaring mistakes. I'm very willing to ride this out and see what he can do. But I will never forget this one truly great decision that makes me believe he could be the guy for us. 

A great HC is like a franchise QB in the NFL. They are hard to find. They have to be good at 20 different things at the same time not 5 or 10 or 15 of them like other guys can do. 

But as a Bills fan of 50 plus years, through all of the good and all of the bad, that was a great moment. 

Thanks, Sean. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Clearly, there was no playoff guarantee, so this was the least he could have done for Meatball. So happy for a truly class act that he scores a TD on his way to his first playoff appearance. If Kyle is appreciated half as much by his team as he is by Bills fans, it was a brilliant stroke of team building by McD. 

1 minute ago, transient said:

Clearly, there was no playoff guarantee, so this was the least he could have done for Meatball. So happy for a truly class act that he scores a TD on his way to his first playoff appearance. If Kyle is appreciated half as much by his team as he is by Bills fans, it was a brilliant stroke of team building by McD. 

That was the beauty of it. It wasn't a gimmick. It wasn't something that he was giving a guy that had a great career but didn't deserve this. It was a strategic idea and play. The defense knew he was there but surely assumed it was to block and keyed on the RB or Tyrod. No one thought he would get the ball. I would be highly critical of the decision if it were just a ceremonial thing in the middle of a playoff game. But again, Kyle is not just an average Joe. He is known as a very good athlete. The fact he is a scratch golfer to me is amazing. I think he is a great swimmer or excels in another sport. The point is it had little chance of hurting the team just to make a guy happy. 

It was a great thing to do at a perfect time and it worked. And again, I have a huge amount of respect for MCDermott to do that at that time. It was a huge play. 

29 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That was the beauty of it. It wasn't a gimmick. It wasn't something that he was giving a guy that had a great career but didn't deserve this. It was a strategic idea and play. The defense knew he was there but surely assumed it was to block and keyed on the RB or Tyrod. No one thought he would get the ball. I would be highly critical of the decision if it were just a ceremonial thing in the middle of a playoff game. But again, Kyle is not just an average Joe. He is known as a very good athlete. The fact he is a scratch golfer to me is amazing. I think he is a great swimmer or excels in another sport. The point is it had little chance of hurting the team just to make a guy happy. 

It was a great thing to do at a perfect time and it worked. And again, I have a huge amount of respect for MCDermott to do that at that time. It was a huge play. 

Kyle was a high school FB and as stated a tremendous Athlete 

no doubt he could've been our fridge on the goal line for years :P

Any coaching decision is a 50/50 chance.  It's all situational.  You will either look like a genius or a goat.  McD is a bit conservative.  I would like him to be more aggressive on Offense but whatever.  He managed a 9-7 season with a playoff berth on strong defense.  The offense is poor.  We have an average line with a below average QB.