Should Al Riveron be investigated?

ny33

7 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Better coaching, more discipline, and keeping your hands where they are suppose to be as to not get called for holding. So many times you see a guy doing a great blocking job and then after the runner is by him tugging the shirt and getting a holding call.  

Seriously? 

Do you watch the Cheaters with open eyes?  

Truth of fiction 

The Pats won at least 2 games because the Refs blew a call in their favor.  

47 minutes ago, Dorkington said:

If you consider the Patriots getting favorable calls to be an injustice in the real world, then you haven't lived in the real world. There are people dying and living without basic rights out there, those are injustices. The Patriots getting favorable calls is a predictable annoyance due to capitalism. 

Unless you've discovered some dimension where actions don't have consequences, it's all real world. And just accepting things aren't the way they should be isn't a great philosophy in dealing with any problems one encounters in life, no matter how small. 

The rumor going around during the offseason last year was that there wasn't anyone who was both palatable to the NFL and who actually wanted this job.  Blandino resigned in April but it was well known at 345 Park that he was headed out.  They promoted Dean during the 2016 offseason to a SVP position to encourage him to stay on with a higher rate of salary, but apparently the NFL execs knew it was a matter of time before he jumped ship to take TV money.

Riveron was hired in May but supposedly the NFL was looking around much longer than the time between Dean's resignation and Riveron's hire.  They "settled" for Al.  I would not be surprised to see a mutual parting of ways at the end of the season given the tumult that's transpired.

Total speculation, but the leading candidates in my mind for the job would be Bill Vinovich (who has previous experience as a replay official for Hochuli's crew), Bill Carollo (former NFL R and current Big Ten director of officiating), and Walt Anderson (who supervises Big 12 officials in addition to his job as an R in the NFL).

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Seriously? 

Do you watch the Cheaters with open eyes?  

Truth of fiction 

The Pats won at least 2 games because the Refs blew a call in their favor.  

False.  The games you are referencing (the Jets game) was for the tie but was called correctly as it has happened in four other games since then the most recent being Derek Carr fumbling the ball threw the end zone. Just because YOU don't like the rule doesn't make it a bad call, it just makes it a bad rule.

The Steelers game is the exact same thing, except with more grey area as some Think James had Fingers under the ball. I disagree but we debated that dead horse in another thread.

the Bills game was a terrible call to overturn the TD  but the Bills failed to show up after half time. I do believe I heard the same complaint for the Miami game except then it was only the O who failed show up. Now I know people say that "change momentum" etc etc the fact is a team has come out and play a full 60 minutes and if something like that makes you play THAT poorly well then that's sad!

52 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

False.  The games you are referencing (the Jets game) was for the tie but was called correctly as it has happened in four other games since then the most recent being Derek Carr fumbling the ball threw the end zone. Just because YOU don't like the rule doesn't make it a bad call, it just makes it a bad rule.

The Steelers game is the exact same thing, except with more grey area as some Think James had Fingers under the ball. I disagree but we debated that dead horse in another thread.

the Bills game was a terrible call to overturn the TD  but the Bills failed to show up after half time. I do believe I heard the same complaint for the Miami game except then it was only the O who failed show up. Now I know people say that "change momentum" etc etc the fact is a team has come out and play a full 60 minutes and if something like that makes you play THAT poorly well then that's sad!

I love bill laimbeer

Edited by westerndecline

11 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

That wasn't even the only call... the 4th and 1 when the bills clearly stopped the running 2+ yards from the scrimmage, but they give him credit for a lame ass extension that under the actual rules of the game isn't actually allowed. (You can reach for the out of bounds, or for the end zone where the play ends immediately, but you can't reach and then pull the ball back to your body and get the spot for your "maximum extension". On a play so critical, they really messed that up.

So that's TWO huge momentum swings in the game against buffalo.

What about the 50 yard PI call???? 

I mean after 3 of those.... you check out. The players checked out for sure. Who can really blame them? The fix was clearly in.

1 hour ago, BillsFan692 said:

That wasn't even the only call... the 4th and 1 when the bills clearly stopped the running 2+ yards from the scrimmage, but they give him credit for a lame ass extension that under the actual rules of the game isn't actually allowed. (You can reach for the out of bounds, or for the end zone where the play ends immediately, but you can't reach and then pull the ball back to your body and get the spot for your "maximum extension". On a play so critical, they really messed that up.

So that's TWO huge momentum swings in the game against buffalo.

What about the 50 yard PI call???? 

I mean after 3 of those.... you check out. The players checked out for sure. Who can really blame them? The fix was clearly in.

The fourth in one he clearly stretched out and made the first down marker. Your theory being stopped 2 YARDS short was wrong by any standard. And yes you can tell his knees were not down. Also the Bills fans read that rule wrong. But that's typical all fans read it to benefit their team. It was correct.  Because if you WATCH the entire play his knee goes down and the ball goes back in. The ball is where it was when you are down and that is when a knee hits. But hey nice try.

the 50 yard PI. REALLY! You mean the one where he never looked back for the ball and ran into the pats WR! Ya that wasn't PI.. it was TEXT BOOK PI! Fact you think that was wrong when ANYONE who was even semi impartial saw that as a penalty is bad.

sorry your Bills stink it up the entire second half.  You read it 

On 12/25/2017 at 2:37 PM, Coach Tuesday said:

Vote with your dollars.

Unfortunately the Tom Brady / Bill Belichick dynasty makes a lot more money than Bills fans can undermine by boycotting TV subscriptions or merchandise. They will continue to get favorable treatment until Brady finally retires and Patriots fans go back to their holes until the next big thing. Or perhaps until they get caught cheating a third time. There must be a breaking point somewhere. Or not. 

On 12/25/2017 at 3:40 PM, Dorkington said:

I don't understand why Bills fans continue to be surprised by this. Good teams get calls, middling/bad teams don't. Simple as that. If we all of a sudden have a HoF coach and QB, and become a ratings and ticket darling, then we'll get calls too. The NFL isn't unique in this, it happens in other sports too. 

I hear things like this from Patriots fans a lot. When a blatantly biased call goes to their way, they'll say something like "well they've earned it." But no. They've earned Super Bowl rings, MVP trophies, first ballot hall of fame entry, gobs of endorsements, and eternal New England admiration. But they haven't earned the right to play by a different set of rules. That line of thinking shouldn't be acceptable to anyone, especially to the people who are constantly on the wrong end of it. It's reality, but that doesn't make it excusable. 

1 hour ago, PatsFanNH said:

The fourth in one he clearly stretched out and made the first down marker. Your theory being stopped 2 YARDS short was wrong by any standard. And yes you can tell his knees were not down. Also the Bills fans read that rule wrong. But that's typical all fans read it to benefit their team. It was correct.  Because if you WATCH the entire play his knee goes down and the ball goes back in. The ball is where it was when you are down and that is when a knee hits. But hey nice try.

the 50 yard PI. REALLY! You mean the one where he never looked back for the ball and ran into the pats WR! Ya that wasn't PI.. it was TEXT BOOK PI! Fact you think that was wrong when ANYONE who was even semi impartial saw that as a penalty is bad.

sorry your Bills stink it up the entire second half.  You read it 

To the first point: he extended the ball and then pulled it back before his knee hit the ground. It's the same as if he gained the first down and then willingly ran backwards behind the first down marker before being tackled. Forward progress does not apply to backward motion if it is not caused by a defender. 

Second point: He tried to turn around, but the bear hug got in his way. 

Third point: True.