Mini Max Anderson

8-8 Forever?

Loved Mini-Max! I was surprised to look up his numbers and see how pedestrian they are, given he was the lone bright spot on those dreadful teams.

While Shaw won ROY in ‘70, heaving air balls to Moses & Brisco, he had unusually small hands and couldn’t fire bullets. He only lasted 2 more seasons before being replaced by rookie Joe Ferguson and was dealt to the Cardinals. Strong rumor from the era was he spewed some racist crap in the locker room, alienating many teammates..

As for #16, going just on memory, I can only think of Tom Flores -who played before Shaw was drafted.

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

Loved Mini-Max! I was surprised to look up his numbers and see how pedestrian they are, given he was the lone bright spot on those dreadful teams.

While Shaw won ROY in ‘70, heaving air balls to Moses & Brisco, he had unusually small hands and couldn’t fire bullets. He only lasted 2 more seasons before being replaced by rookie Joe Ferguson and was dealt to the Cardinals. Strong rumor from the era was he spewed some racist crap in the locker room, alienating many teammates..

As for #16, going just on memory, I can only think of Tom Flores -who played before Shaw was drafted.

Mini Max wasn't going to do much with OJ on the scene.  Recently we've had Brad Smith and Matt Cassel wear #16.

2 hours ago, chetehc said:

No idea. But Shaw could have been great if not for injuries! Max Anderson was a fan favorite like a smaller, quicker Fred Jackson!

Billy Shaw WAS great even with injuries.  He is on the First Team All Time AFL Team and he is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton.

You must be thinking of Tom Sestak, my avatar.  Tom is on the First Team All time AFL Team.   He did not make the Pro Football HoF because he never played a game in the NFL due to injury.

Sestak was a beast.  Fast and strong.  He lead the best defenses the Bills EVER had, in any era, that would be 1963-66.   To this day the best DT we ever had. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 8-8 Forever? said:

Apologies to the younger crowd .. I grew up with Dennis Shaw , Max Anderson, sort of the pre OJ days ... anyone know what happened to these two guys?

Mini Max played in 1968 and 1969, a combined total of 25 games.   These teams were really lousy.  They were horribly coached by John Rauch and Harvey Johnson.  Most of the great Bills players of the mid 60's were either traded away, injured, or at the end of their careers.

Mini Max stats:

Listed generously at At 5'8" and 180 lbs

his stats were not bad for playing on the worst team in the AFL

160 carries, 599 yards, 3.7 YPC, 3 TD. 

29 pass receptions for 209 yards, 0 TDs

He had a 100 kick return for a TD in 1968. 

I played football with Harvey Johnson’s son. RIP to both

47 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I remember hearing that Mini Max Andersen swallowed his tongue after receiving a hard hit. 

I was maybe 8 or 9 years old at the time and the idea horrified me until my mom explained what the expression really meant.  

Jack Spikes was the one

• Like (+1) 2

The Bills embarked on a youth movement in 1968, the AFL was moving towards youth and speed in the late 1960's - the Chiefs and Raiders. The Bills were the standard NFL team in the mid 1960's, great defense and a strong running game - couple yards and a cloud of dust but no great speed and getting older.  KC Chiefs destroyed them in the 1966 AFL Championship Game with the speed of Otis Taylor, Mike Garrett, and Chris Burford followed by 1967 when the team just got older and slower. In 1968 many veterans left the team and two rookies - Mini Max Anderson and a very fast and big Fullback named Ben Gregory opened alot of eyes. Unfortunately bad coaching led to the 1st Round Pick in 1969 and OJ Simpson which led to the eventual departure of Max Anderson and a tragic knee injury ended Ben Gregorys career; would have loved to seen him and OJ in the same backfield.

I too watched Jack Spikes get hurt, in 1967 it was a pretty scary thing!