Mini Max Anderson

8-8 Forever?

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Loved Mini-Max! I was surprised to look up his numbers and see how pedestrian they are, given he was the lone bright spot on those dreadful teams.

While Shaw won ROY in ‘70, heaving air balls to Moses & Brisco, he had unusually small hands and couldn’t fire bullets. He only lasted 2 more seasons before being replaced by rookie Joe Ferguson and was dealt to the Cardinals. Strong rumor from the era was he spewed some racist crap in the locker room, alienating many teammates..

As for #16, going just on memory, I can only think of Tom Flores -who played before Shaw was drafted.

remember the snow fences around the playing field,?some kids where there yelling and Shaw used the N-word. The players weren't going to go back on the field but OJ convinced them to.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

True story.  Working as an architect in Southern California, I was designing a little recreation center back in the mid 1980s. Dennis Shaw was a recreation leader for the City's Kids Program. Not sure where he is now, or if is still with us.

4 hours ago, klos63 said:

remember the snow fences around the playing field,?some kids where there yelling and Shaw used the N-word. The players weren't going to go back on the field but OJ convinced them to.

Sure the old washed out fences that the players would run into. The bills had the wooden ones with the wire

Edited by Helpmenow

6 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Billy Shaw WAS great even with injuries.  He is on the First Team All Time AFL Team and he is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton.

You must be thinking of Tom Sestak, my avatar.  Tom is on the First Team All time AFL Team.   He did not make the Pro Football HoF because he never played a game in the NFL due to injury.

Sestak was a beast.  Fast and strong.  He lead the best defenses the Bills EVER had, in any era, that would be 1963-66.   To this day the best DT we ever had. 

Great player, granted, but Billy Shaw did not play in the NFL and he, as you know, is in the HOF.  Ron Mix played primarily in the AFL and Lance Alworth would have made the HOF even if he didn't play for the Cowboys.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ned Flanders said:

Great player, granted, but Billy Shaw did not play in the NFL and he, as you know, is in the HOF.  Ron Mix played primarily in the AFL and Lance Alworth would have made the HOF even if he didn't play for the Cowboys.

Billy Shaw retired for two reasons: age and loyalty to the AFL!

5 hours ago, Rico said:

I remember Mini-Max as being very pedestrian +  overrated by vertically-challenged Bills fans much like Lil Antoine.

Your wrong!