Jimmy Traina (SI) Ranks All 17 NFL Broadcast Crews

26CornerBlitz

Shortly before the 2017 NFL season began, I ranked each broadcast team across the various networks that air the games. With the regular season just about over, it's time to update the rankings based on what we've seen over the past four months.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/12/19/ranking-nfl-announcers-2017-tony-romo-jim-nantz

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

romo is awesome as an analyst, says exactly what a qb should do, what the wr should have done etc.  basically points out how stupid many of these players really are when theyve played there whole lives and still dont know the game situation or how to control themselves after a play etc.   Its nice to hear a non idiot talk on tv for once rather than a smooth voiced ex-player.  The opposite of this is the shrill voiced female who would be better suited as a drill seargant or something of that nature, she wont shut up in-game, which makes it that much worse.

• Like (+1) 3

Gus Johnson would be better than the majority of those guys. I just don't understand. 

He has Romo and Nantz low on the list, is he playing contrarian or using this list to judge off the field personalities. If it's the latter then Nantz should have been last. 

Edited by Commonsense

6 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

That is an awful list in my opinion.

Why does everyone hate on Gruden so much? He definitely makes mistakes but he's hilarious and can really break down plays very well

A list of this type is always going to be highly subjective based on personal preferences.  There is no right or wrong order.

9 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

That is an awful list in my opinion.

Why does everyone hate on Gruden so much? He definitely makes mistakes but he's hilarious and can really break down plays very well

No he doesn't. He breaks down the plays at a peewee level and offers no real insight that anyone watching football for more than 4 games doesn't already know.  

He's as basic of a broadcaster as they come and never shuts up.  He and tasker are terrible.

Watch Gannon for great analysis. I think he's better than Romo.

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

A list of this type is always going to be highly subjective based on personal preferences.  There is no right or wrong order.

100 percent. that's why I said my opinion. Definitely no right or wrong as everyone has their own opinion 

5 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

No he doesn't. He breaks down the plays at a peewee level and offers no real insight that anyone watching football for more than 4 games doesn't already know.  

He's as basic of a broadcaster as they come and never shuts up.  He and tasker are terrible.

I disagree personally. When he wants to, he can really break down a play.

He also adds a humour that no other analyst has in my opinion, and it's actually refreshing to watch him criticize the teams and  especially officials.

I really like Gannon as well 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Steptide said:

A bit off topic, but if I was Terry pegula, I'd pay Romo millions of dollars next year to come in and teach our qbs how to read a defense/field. Seriously they guy is super football savvy and would make a great film room coach. 

Why the heck would he give up the cushy job as an analyst for CBS (for the next 30 years if he wants) to come to OBD to grind all year long as a QB coach? 

11 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Even yesterday for example I thought he did a very nice job breaking one play in particular.

Ryan completed a deep hook route to jones, and he explained that jones had an option there. He said if the safety went in then jones would have kept running, and if he played deep, then he was to stop.

And that's what happened, and he said Matt Ryan read it perfectly as well.

I would have never known it was an option route based on the safeties decision, and I would say 95 percent of people wouldn't have known that either.

11 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Why the heck would he give up the cushy job as an analyst for CBS (for the next 30 years if he wants) to come to OBD to grind all year long as a QB coach? 

Money? The love of the game? Being on the sidelines? I dont know. Still worth a shot 

"Jimmy Traina" is some goofy podcaster who writes about pro wrestling.

His knock on Gruden (other than he praises everyone) is that Gruden is too technically challenging for Jimmy to understand.  Hence, he picked the mind numbing duo of Buck and Aiken number 2.

What a joke!

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

"Jimmy Traina" is some goofy podcaster who writes about pro wrestling.

His knock on Gruden (other than he praises everyone) is that Gruden is too technically challenging for Jimmy to understand.  Hence, he picked the mind numbing duo of Buck and Aiken number 2.

What a joke!

And he has a serious man-crush on Kevin Harlan's voice.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan11 said:

Even yesterday for example I thought he did a very nice job breaking one play in particular.

Ryan completed a deep hook route to jones, and he explained that jones had an option there. He said if the safety went in then jones would have kept running, and if he played deep, then he was to stop.

And that's what happened, and he said Matt Ryan read it perfectly as well.

I would have never known it was an option route based on the safeties decision, and I would say 95 percent of people wouldn't have known that either.

He's better than most when it comes to breaking down a play, but his gushing over players is annoying.  I thought CBS was nuts to put Romo on the number one team until I heard him call a game.  Especially when he's calling the games with elite experienced quarterbacks.  He'll tell you what they're most likely thinking before a play when reading a defense.  He's also the first announcer I've heard explain why Taylor's stats can be misleading.

• Like (+1) 1