Military pension, 38 yrs old. Now what??

westerndecline

I'm retired military too!  I retired this year, but I recently got a civil service job.  Trust me, it gets boring sitting around the house, but you must find something to do to keep your mind occupied.  Register for classes, volunteer for habitat for humanity, find a local organization and get involved.  Do something that makes you happy.

I retired this year also   I love it 

15 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Westerndecline seems to have everything under control. It’s Exiled I think we should all worry about. 

He is fine. Carp fishing helps his nerves.  Plus he loves all the recipes Cletus has sent him on carp ?

1 hour ago, mead107 said:

I retired this year also   I love it 

He is fine. Carp fishing helps his nerves.  Plus he loves all the recipes Cletus has sent him on carp ?

Let’s be honest... you retired from being retired... GE said “mead, how would you like to make 80,000 and not have to wake up early in the morning or work with these union scum....” you said “ can I make lots of Stromboli’s?” They said “yep!” You said “sounds swell!!”

Saved them $20k a year and saved you waking up and driving to GE to go back to sleep...

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, CountryCletus said:

Let’s be honest... you retired from being retired... GE said “mead, how would you like to make 80,000 and not have to wake up early in the morning or work with these union scum....” you said “ can I make lots of Stromboli’s?” They said “yep!” You said “sounds swell!!”

Saved them $20k a year and saved you waking up and driving to GE to go back to sleep...

? I took a10% pay cut to stay home.  

But they gave me 10% for working 3rd shift 

so I guess they are just paying me to stay home.  I love ❤️ being home and making Stromboli. 

3 minutes ago, mead107 said:

so I guess they are just paying me to stay home.  I love ❤️ being home and making Stromboli. 

What was GE's going premium for 2nd shift & Sunday?

Gov't does:

10% for 3rd shift

7.5% for 2nd shift

25% for Sundays

Every person who's posted that they are retired military, I believe.  Except the OP.  I call bull ****.

No 38-year-old man who did 20 years in the military, even if it was the Coast Guard, writes "srsly."

You've got more **** than a barnyard.

I skimmed through here looking for good ideas for me. I came up short. 

I like the thought of a second pension. My brother in law maxed out his teaching pension in Providence, RI, so took a job in MA to get a second pension. The MA job was actually closer to home. Ha! 

Maybe fire fighter? My uncle did that. Bottom line, do something you like. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, mead107 said:

2nd and 3rd 10%  

over time -time and a half

anything over 12 hours is  double time 

sunday  double time 

holiday double time and a half

Interesting. Sweet!

Can't work a minute over 12 hours according to USACE EM 385-1-1 safety manual... We used to do 16s when we were on 8's and somebody called in.  I wonder what OSHA puts on for limit?

Holidays just double time.  Christmas is usually only bone of contention with many.  Yet, with holidays, if it is normally your day off... You get the Holiday Bonus the day before or after (depending how your "Sunday" falls) the Holiday off.

29 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Every person who's posted that they are retired military, I believe.  Except the OP.  I call bull ****.

No 38-year-old man who did 20 years in the military, even if it was the Coast Guard, writes "srsly."

You've got more **** than a barnyard.

He did say he was a StoreKeeper.  I used to hit BFLo CGX with my father... To get cartons of smokes back in the 1970s.  Those Coasties had a sweet gig.  Maybe OP ran the CGX?  Back before 911 USCG was DoT.  If he's got 20 in, then he started w/Department of Transportation and retired Homeland Defense.

Back when USCG was DoT, they wouldn't board a boat for anything... I had one tell me: "Too much paperwork back to New Haven."  Now?  Just say boo and they do a "safety check" boarding!

What do you enjoy? THAT is critical to getting this right. Try to find a way to incorporate your pleasure into your work. After my banking days I spent 13 years loving my job that was viewed as a step down. I was happier than ever, and figured out how I could make as much as I did at a bank. Win/Win. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Crap... The other guys said I was a lock op.  That 70% means diddly! :lol::lol:

No worries, you'll mow, you'll roof, carpentry... But work Saturdays and Sundays... But between breaks...  Yet get to watch bikinis in summer, not like these dolts here on the internet.  For real... :lol:

75% of shifts are outside the 9-5 window... Then it's just locking boats, keeping it ice free for traffic... Etc... 

You were a Storekeeper... Just like the CGX

Telling you... Look into:

USAJobs.gov

That 70% will work in your favor.  Fed jobs were historically created for DAV's.  My father is a DAV... 

I am 90% mentally disabled (according to DCTom... If not 100%)!

:lol:

You seem to be pushing this way too much to not have self interest. 

Did you do recruiting at any point? You're giving me flashbacks of when I had to deal with those dbags as a kid when I read your posts in this thread. 

19 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

You seem to be pushing this way too much to not have self interest. 

Did you do recruiting at any point? You're giving me flashbacks of when I had to deal with those dbags as a kid when I read your posts in this thread. 

I am civilian DoD... Been that way for almost 30 years.  I will be 50 next year.  We need Vets!

I never served.  My father is a DAV. You don't wanna know where I stand on enlisting at a young age, my father probably had something to do with that.

I do have self-interest.  A poster (misterbluesky) above pointed his problems out... I pointed it out about my father. I don't want to see anybody go down wrong road.

We got these wars going on and lots of Vets are coming back seeking good employment.  More than ever before looking to the gov't sector. We owe it to them as a  nation. Why I was against these wars in first place... But now that we have gone there, we need to return the favor, fix the things that MAY be broken.  Send him away at 38 and say: "Have a nice life."  He'll still have to plan well. Just trying to help.

Federal service was invented for Vets, DAV, etc... It's FOR them, why they get preference.  He'd get preference and make decent pay gravy job.  It would be like being on second retirement for him.

Just trying to help him out. I know I am over the top.  My biggest concern, bordeom at young age leading to addiction.  

Sorry if I do have interest in this topic.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I am civilian DoD... Been that way for almost 30 years.  I will be 50 next years.  We need  Vets!

I never served.  My father is a DAV. You don't wanna know where I stand on enlisting at a young age, my father probably had something to do with that.

I do have self-interest.  A poster (misterbluesky) above pointed his problems out... I pointed it out about my father. I don't want to see anybody go down wrong road.

We got these wars going on and lots of Vets are coming back seeking good employment.  More than ever before looking to the gov't sector. We owe it to them as a  nation. Why I was against these wars in first place... But now that we have gone there, we need to return the favor, fix the things that MAY be broken.  Send him away at 38 and say: "Have a nice life."  He'll still have to plan well. Just trying to help.

Federal service was invented for Vets, DAV, etc... It's FOR them, why they get preference.  He'd get preference and make decent pay gravy job.  It would be like being on second retirement for him.

Just trying to help him out. I know I am over the top.  My biggest concern, bordeom at young age leading to addiction.  

Sorry if I do have interest in this topic.

Sorry shouldn't have put the dbags in the remark, I didn't call you one, but it was inflammatory. If this is personal to you I understand, just seemed odd at points and gave me memories of dealing with people I thought were pushing way too hard to get me to do something I never wanted to do. 

6 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Sorry shouldn't have put the dbags in the remark, I didn't call you one, but it was inflammatory. If this is personal to you I understand, just seemed odd at points and gave me memories of dealing with people I thought were pushing way too hard to get me to do something I never wanted to do. 

No worries... FWIW... Don't like them either, father shied me away from uniform... For obvious reasons

It's civilian service... He doesn't have to deploy... But we broke a lot out there that we owe the world to fix.  Serve domestically, which he did in USCG... This is just an extension past the uniform service.  Nobody stays young and super strong forever.  He's climbing roofs now... How long is that going to last?

I get where you are coming from.  I push this because it's Vets that we all need to employ & now we have a ton... Back when I started as a civilian you couldn't give these jobs away, now they are highly competitive.  He'd have a major edge.

12 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

No worries... FWIW... Don't like them either, father shied me away from uniform... For obvious reasons

It's civilian service... He doesn't have to deploy... But we broke a lot out there that we owe the world to fix.  Serve domestically, which he did in USCG... This is just an extension past the uniform service.  Nobody stays young and super strong forever.  He's climbing roofs now... How long is that going to last?

I get where you are coming from.  I push this because it's Vets that we all need to employ & now we have a ton... Back when I started as a civilian you couldn't give these jobs away, now they are highly competitive.  He'd have a major edge.

Oh I agree... You are probably right... It sounds like a great gig if he is a vet and wants to do it. 

16 hours ago, mead107 said:

When I worked from home for a short time I gained weight...hitting up the fridge and bags of chips like a food addict...also taking a daily shower /getting dressed wasn't on the top of my priority list...

Edited by Misterbluesky

27 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

A lawyer.  Working @ a lock or GE on 3rd shift. Commercially fishing carp.

The possibilities are numerous.

A lawyer... fine.... at GE.... okay... but working at a lock? What kind of ? would want to do such a thing to themselves??? Poor fella wouldn’t have anything to talk about when it came to work...

Nobody cares about a lock operators work...

11 minutes ago, CountryCletus said:

A lawyer... fine.... at GE.... okay... but working at a lock? What kind of ? would want to do such a thing to themselves??? Poor fella wouldn’t have anything to talk about when it came to work...

Nobody cares about a lock operators work...

I’d switch places with the lock operator gig in a minute, but only if I could still have my current salary and summers off :D

22 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I’d switch places with the lock operator gig in a minute, but only if I could still have my current salary and summers off :D

Probably come close to wage... If not more.  Just have the sig other go out and hustle 6 figures... :D

But who wants summers off!  That's the best part, all the bikinis... HECK... If the hot chicks are wearing anything at all! You'd be surprised (no you wouldn't) what hot chicks will do for rides on 1/2 million dollar speed boats!

You want winters off, which basically happens when river freezes.  Midnights, just get a "no hitter" & you got your rest just like @ GE.

Every month you get a stretch of 7-8 days off anyway, without having to take any leave.

4 minutes ago, CountryCletus said:

Srsly!!! Me 2....

They are hiring on the Monongahela, Ohio, & Allegheny... But not sure if they have hot chicks in the sticks.  Unless, you like the one-tooth wonders w/purdy mouths.  Not that there is anything wrong with that if that's what turns you on...:ph34r:

Maybe... SECOND THOUGHT... Move closer to Pittsburgh... :P

11 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Probably come close to wage... If not more.  Just have the sig other go out and hustle 6 figures... :D

But who wants summers off!  That's the best part, all the bikinis... HECK... If the hot chicks are wearing anything at all! You'd be surprised (no you wouldn't) what hot chicks will do for rides on 1/2 million dollar speed boats!

You want winters off, which basically happens when river freezes.  Midnights, just get a "no hitter" & you got your rest just like @ GE.

Every month you get a stretch of 7-8 days off anyway, without having to take any leave.

They are hiring on the Monongahela, Ohio, & Allegheny... But not sure if they have hot chicks in the sticks.  Unless, you like the one-tooth wonders w/purdy mouths.  Not that there is anything wrong with that if that's what turns you on...:ph34r:

Maybe... SECOND THOUGHT... Move closer to Pittsburgh... :P

Too many restrictions on catchin’ deers near the tall buildings....

serious question..... do you find it even a little bit strange how enthralled with the lock system and all its ancillary things, that you are???

2 hours ago, CountryCletus said:

Too many restrictions on catchin’ deers near the tall buildings....

serious question..... do you find it even a little bit strange how enthralled with the lock system and all its ancillary things, that you are???

I was born in Buffalo.  What do you expect.

Yes, to answer your question.  Everybody has a vocation.  Your's happens to be cooking up road kill, I find that extremely strange too.

I am just a  canal/lock nerd...

Caen_Hill_Locks.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Like people with trains, there is something mechanically grounding, slow paced about the vocation... That modern modes of transportation have tried to render it obsolete... But never will.

I think I see your cheap flat screen in there.

It must be in one of those boxes. vvvvv

canal-britannica.com_-e1294949984177-cre

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I posted pictures.

Not good enough?

Millennials too lazy

I don’t acknowledge copy and paste as your own intellectual property.... so when I’m quoting you, I don’t feel the need to include them... however, maybe I should include them as I’m sure copy and paste was quite a learning experience for you... ?

1 minute ago, CountryCletus said:

I don’t acknowledge copy and paste as your own intellectual property.... so when I’m quoting you, I don’t feel the need to include them... however, maybe I should include them as I’m sure copy and paste was quite a learning experience for you... ?

I don't either (three words).  Easy.