Military pension, 38 yrs old. Now what??

westerndecline

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

I don't think there's a wrong answer to EII's condition. But the more interesting question is not what is EII's condition but why?  To understand the why you have to know what happened. 

Over the past 6 years, I've been connecting the dots and putting together the whole story.  It starts in '76, when a wide eyed EII first goes to work for the state of Illinois.  He quickly rises through the ranks of the Illinois Department of Natural Resources carving out a nice career for himself.  He was being groomed for one of the top spots in the office.  Then at age 38 he gives it all up and joins the Illinois River Authority.  The elite of the elite of Illinois' river and lakes.  Within 1 year, he's the captain of his own dredger.

In 88' he first notices the Asian carp. His concerns about the carp fall on deaf ears.  His superiors don't want to hear it.  He takes matters into his own hands.  EII fights the carp all over Illinois for 3 long years in a brutal but futile campaign.  In '92, EII takes the fight to the carp.  He goes further down the Illinois river than any man has gone before.  Miles and miles down river, past Peoria.  He reaches Beardstown and keeps going. Uncharted territories.  Its here that his methods become, well...unsound.  in '94 EII releases a report on the state of Illinois' rivers and his recommendation on how to handle the growing carp problem.  Its 123 pages.  It reads "NUKE THEM ALL!" on every page.

EII is recalled to Decatur and stationed to lock 22.  Its a quiet post.  He spends his days posting on TBD and muttering "the horror, the horror".

:lol:Great!

Timeline is off.  Born 1968.  Just a librarian in an idiocracy trying to help a Vet!

21 minutes ago, CountryCletus said:

You fell for this stuff again!!!

9A583F9F-9668-4BAF-8E7F-CBCF2BB43C12.jpeg

Just like the Asian Carp, you bit the baited hook again!!!

The internet does suck

Not really... I was never one to pile on. But you shouldn't be trolling carp ( I spelled it right) like this.

I will play the straight guy... :P

Sidenote:  Old Polish tradition is to sit a kid down in high chair, on first birthday, and offer them a silver dollar, rosary, and empty shot glass.  Whichever one they pick, they will most "likely" become! :lol:

Guess what I pick?  Stop... Don't answer, it was the rosary.:P

Sorry for falling for it... It's in my blood.

27 minutes ago, Gordio said:

I don't know man, 2 guys on my softball team ended up quitting the post office last year for different jobs.  They said they couldn't take it anymore.  From the 7 day a week work schedule(yes they deliver on Sundays now) to the constant hustling to get their routes done, I think there is better options.  Also they both worked there for over 8 years & were still considered temporary & got no benefits.  The US Postal office is a dying business, didn't they lose close to a billion dollars last year?  They treat their employees like crap.  You should be thankful you retired when it was a decent place to work at.  I would find a nice corner bar & become a bartender.  Use that money for spending/recreational money & the pension to pay the bills.

They need to find a lock job!:D

Just a little snow and ice in winter.  But you can work in Florida... But gotta go in during hurricanes.

48 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

You believe everything Dunkirk Don says, don't you?

There's at least one government office I go to that explicitly refuses to put Trump's portrait up.  

Hell no!

Get this.  If Hillary would have won, I was ordered to put her portrait up by my boss.  I told him that I would gladly put up picture of Trump.  I put up Bill Clinton's, GWB's, and Our Lord the Savior, Patron St. of The Proletariat.

No biggie.

We gotta a crew of 13... Only 3 of us was willing to do the honor of hanging up Hillary's picture. :D

34 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

:lol:Great!

Timeline is off.  Born 1968.  Just a librarian in an idiocracy trying to help a Vet!

The internet does suck

Not really... I was never one to pile on. But you shouldn't be trolling carp ( I spelled it right) like this.

I will play the straight guy... :P

Sidenote:  Old Polish tradition is to sit a kid down in high chair, on first birthday, and offer them a silver dollar, rosary, and empty shot glass.  Whichever one they pick, they will most "likely" become! :lol:

Guess what I pick?  Stop... Don't answer, it was the rosary.:P

Sorry for falling for it... It's in my blood.

Did you climb out of the high chair and grab the dildo?

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Hell no!

Get this.  If Hillary would have won, I was ordered to put her portrait up by my boss.  I told him that I would gladly put up picture of Trump.  I put up Bill Clinton's, GWB's, and Our Lord the Savior, Patron St. of The Proletariat.

No biggie.

We gotta a crew of 13... Only 3 of us was willing to do the honor of hanging up Hillary's picture. :D

People should be all over these lock jobs.... if a goober like you can do it while messing around on TBD all day, anyone can do it.... and no wonder you don’t see any Asian Carp invading the lake under your watch... your nose is 10” deep in TBD

11 hours ago, westerndecline said:

All my basic bills are paid for I have a little bit of money saved up goalie emergency funds but all I can do now or things to do right now is develop of workout routine which I just started other than that I am extremely extremely bored and ideas

I was in your place in that semi large sitting area before..if you keep sitting in that room it will become very small,your mind will start to think bad thoughts..depression kicked in for me..I started drinking rock hard..dabbled into drugs..ignored my bride and nug...I was wasting three lives and didn't give a ****.....bottom line is...don't fall into a trap,its easily done.the SPCA and the city mission are always looking for volunteers..you could start tomorrow if you wanted to...

1 hour ago, LeviF91 said:

This isn't a terrible idea.  Only issue is I don't know of any bars that are hiring people close to 40 with no experience.  Maybe start as a barback at a vet-friendly bar or a cop bar if your disability doesn't keep you from lifting and moving stuff.

Im actually thinking about this...

Cheers

Another friend of mine is a fisherman in seattle.

I might join him too 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CountryCletus said:

People should be all over these lock jobs.... if a goober like you can do it while messing around on TBD all day, anyone can do it.... and no wonder you don’t see any Asian Carp invading the lake under your watch... your nose is 10” deep in TBD

Only "social media" I read... I am on couch at home now w/phone... Just fed the birds, cleaned the fireplace, listening to Sirius... Talking to family... Wife just got out of work... One can work a phone and live a life too...

I am home... I don't work till Thursday... 36 hours, 3 12s a week.  Other 8 is leave every two weeks.

And since the wars kicked off, they are all these jobs!  Never hard to fill jobs.  It's the bureaucracy that can't fill them fast enough.

Vets come first, if they only knew.

Oh... And carp are no.doubt gonna get through, just not like everybody is panicking about.

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Only "social media" I read... I am on couch at home now w/phone... Just fed the birds, cleaned the fireplace, listening to Sirius... Talking to family... Wife just got out of work... One can work a phone and live a life too...

I am home... I don't work till Thursday... 36 hours, 3 12s a week.  Other 8 is leave every two weeks.

And since the wars kicked off, they are all these jobs!  Never hard to fill jobs.  It's the bureaucracy that can't fill them fast enough.

Vets come first, if they only knew.

Oh... And carp are no.doubt gonna get through, just not like everybody is panicking about.

What’s the starting rate for a killing machine vet just starting out in your field??? Please try and keep your answer on point and brief, lol...

1 hour ago, CountryCletus said:

You haven't been paying attention, draft is only 8'.

41 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

I was in your place in that semi large sitting area before..if you keep sitting in that room it will become very small,your mind will start to think bad thoughts..depression kicked in for me..I started drinking rock hard..dabbled into drugs..ignored my bride and nug...I was wasting three lives and didn't give a ****.....bottom line is...don't fall into a trap,its easily done.the SPCA and the city mission are always looking for volunteers..you could start tomorrow if you wanted to...

Stay strong!  This is what worried me the most when I first read westerndecline's thread.  Popped right into mind... Why I am so serious.  Not a joking matter in my eyes.

With my father it was a different era.  My mother the Saint... God rest her soul!

1 minute ago, CountryCletus said:

What’s the starting rate for a killing machine vet just starting out in your field??? Please try and keep your answer on point and brief, lol...

50k.  Two year probation. Make under 100k when maxed out.

They are already collecting a military pension... Build for another.

Down south cheaper wages.

3 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

You haven't been paying attention, draft is only 8'.

9' Maybe 10' if cheating.

Just now, CountryCletus said:

How long to max out?

5 years.

OT... 40+ hour. 

Wanna make triple... Go get deployed.  Again, two guys deployed now.

Cletus:  You can buy a house out in the country here for 50k... It's like Illianatucky here.

Take a job in bumble ph**k Peoria, Upper Mississippi, Ohio River et al... Live like a king!

Down south Corps suppresses hourly wage: Tenn-Tom, Okeechobee... But living is cheaper.

Killing machine Vets is why these jobs were offered... They are inherently governmental.

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

9' Maybe 10' if cheating.

5 years.

OT... 40+ hour. 

Wanna make triple... Go get deployed.  Again, two guys deployed now.

Cletus:  You can buy a house out in the country here for 50k... It's like Illianatucky here.

Take a job in bumble ph**k Peoria, Upper Mississippi, Ohio River et al... Live like a king!

Down south Corps suppresses hourly wage: Tenn-Tom, Okeechobee... But living is cheaper.

Killing machine Vets is why these jobs were offered... They are inherently governmental.

You can live like a king making $50K?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Hey westerndecline... They have a lock in Seattle... Strong Northern union wages... It's Corps operated... And one of the busiest in country (if boredom and solitude get to you... But unlike lock tenders, lighthouse ops of yore... We got internet!)

Look into them... Being a Coastie will help... The Chittenden (Ballard) Locks... Even have a fish ladder for the fish to get past lock.  Pretty cool!

13 minutes ago, Gugny said:

You can live like a king making $50K?

Gotta hit Deplorable Central, Hinterlands... Won't cut it for the Coastal Elites.

He's already getting a military pension.  Helps too if wife or significant other is making 6 figures too. That's icing on cake.

3 minutes ago, mead107 said:

My son could hook you up with a company that uses ex military over seas.  stay over a year and it’s tax free. Big dollars 

Could that apply to me, too, Mead?  Or is it just for military retirees?

The jobs I am suggesting for westerndecline are wage grade jobs NOT GS jobs.  They are hourly and set by local industry in the area you are.  Local wages, blue collar work.  This area is set with jobs in Chicago... Like Ford... Or Quad Cities, Peoria... Like Cat (Peoria) or John Deere (Moline).  

I did get in years ago when wages were high in those areas.  COLAs make it go up even with years of pay freezes under Obama.  Obama=why most at my work hate him.  Saw years of no COLAs or very little.

Again... Look Wage Grade, not GS.  westerndecline, it sounds like you are more blue collar, trades...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

10 minutes ago, mead107 said:

My son could hook you up with a company that uses ex military over seas.  stay over a year and it’s tax free. Big dollars 

Why not just hook up with the US gov't... Get deployed after probation... Make x3 your pay... Get fed pension, healthcare, bennies, etc... Embed with the actual military... Not just a contractor.

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The jobs I am suggesting for westerndecline are wage grade jobs NOT GS jobs.  They are hourly and set by local industry in the area you are.  Local wages, blue collar work.  This area is set with jobs in Chicago... Like Ford... Or Quad Cities, Peoria... Like Cat (Peoria) or John Deere (Moline).  

I did get in years ago when wages were high in those areas.  COLAs make it go up even with years of pay freezes under Obama.  Obama=why most at my work hate him.  Saw years of no COLAs or very little.

Again... Look Wage Grade, not GS.  westerndecline, it sounds like you are more blue collar, trades...

Most people in America have no COLAs.

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Most people in America have no COLAs.

That's their problem...

Bit political... 

Work smart, not hard.  I am still a Democrat, not a bunchy whiny deplorable Republicans I work with that hate Obama.:D

Trump has been the best for us!  My TSP (401k) went up 80 grand in a year... I'd still vote Dem though...

I got no hard feelings.  Left BFLo with 80 bucks in pocket... Raised a family 500 miles from closest family... Never needed daycare and both my wife and I work.

Shift work is great for something!

People want it all now... And right away!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, westerndecline said:

Probably just be a pizza delivery guy

I always wanted to run a pizza joint

Srsly

Plus free pizza

I could sell you my Stromboli recipe. Then take $2 for each one you sell. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, westerndecline said:

Its honestly something i wouldn't mind.

Starting at the bottom of a pizza shop and working my way to the top would be cool

who would have thought after 20 years in the Coast Guard Id b back in school and delivering pizza LOL

A friend of my son open one 2 years ago and this summer he opened a second one and still has a full time job.  DC area 

2 minutes ago, mead107 said:

A friend of my son open one 2 years ago and this summer he opened a second one and still has a full time job.  DC area 

Thats awesome!

Yeah its always been an honest dream of mine to have my own pizza shop or at least be the manager.

My family is midweaten Italian from Detroit

1 minute ago, westerndecline said:

Thats awesome!

Yeah its always been an honest dream of mine to have my own pizza shop or at least be the manager.

My family is midweaten Italian from Detroit

Got a good lawyer ? Fergy could help you out. 

4 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Got a good lawyer ? Fergy could help you out. 

I have an uncle tony whos a lawyer lol

Believe it or not my great uncle was top suspect in the hoffa disappearance.

My father kept us away from tht stuff tho

Edited by westerndecline

17 hours ago, westerndecline said:

All my basic bills are paid for I have a little bit of money saved up goalie emergency funds but all I can do now or things to do right now is develop of workout routine which I just started other than that I am extremely extremely bored and ideas

You could always take the time to learn proper grammar and punctuation..............that'd be a good start.