Military pension, 38 yrs old. Now what??

westerndecline

Right now I'm doing side jobs twice a month Roofing carpentry with an uncle and I'm guessing I'm just going to take my GI Bill well part of it and become a medical assistant for now pays decent money

Problem is I also got a 70% shoulder Disability Pension on top of my regular pension so that along with working every couple Saturdays on the roof I have more than enough money I guess I could travel or something I don't know

Hurt my shoulder in ast ( swimmer school) which the cg forced me to be an sk

1 minute ago, westerndecline said:

Right now I'm doing side jobs twice a month Roofing carpentry with an uncle and I'm guessing I'm just going to take my GI Bill well part of it and become a medical assistant for now pays decent money

Problem is I also got a 70% shoulder Disability Pension on top of my regular pension so that along with working every couple Saturdays on the roof I have more than enough money I guess I could travel or something I don't know

Hurt my shoulder in ast ( swimmer school) which the cg forced me to be an sk

Crap... The other guys said I was a lock op.  That 70% means diddly! :lol::lol:

No worries, you'll mow, you'll roof, carpentry... But work Saturdays and Sundays... But between breaks...  Yet get to watch bikinis in summer, not like these dolts here on the internet.  For real... :lol:

75% of shifts are outside the 9-5 window... Then it's just locking boats, keeping it ice free for traffic... Etc... 

You were a Storekeeper... Just like the CGX

Telling you... Look into:

USAJobs.gov

That 70% will work in your favor.  Fed jobs were historically created for DAV's.  My father is a DAV... 

I am 90% mentally disabled (according to DCTom... If not 100%)!

:lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

(quote ExiledinIndiana)

He doesnt want to join the lock operators. Take a hint. I'd bet you he is taking a look at USJobs web pages for postal service work because we actually made a difference in our nation for safety, health and security unlike the lock people. We delivered letters to the federal buildings for security purposes and blood test reports so our men and women knew if their blood was good. We also delivered report cards, college acceptance letters and Christmas cards. Those are the integril parts of a nation and we did it 6 days a week.

What have you done? Watched a barge carrying melons go through a over sized bathtub? Maybe one day youll see what real service is and this young man and myself have traveled all over showing what real work and sacrifice is.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Howard said:

(quote ExiledinIndiana)

He doesnt want to join the lock operators. Take a hint. I'd bet you he is taking a look at USJobs web pages for postal service work because we actually made a difference in our nation for safety, health and security unlike the lock people. We delivered letters to the federal buildings for security purposes and blood test reports so our men and women knew if their blood was good. We also delivered report cards, college acceptance letters and Christmas cards. Those are the integril parts of a nation and we did it 6 days a week.

What have you done? Watched a barge carrying melons go through a over sized bathtub? Maybe one day youll see what real service is and this young man and myself have traveled all over showing what real work and sacrifice is.

did this thread just get angry?

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Howard said:

(quote ExiledinIndiana)

Old Dude... We work 24/7/365... Not 6 days out of 7.  7 out of 7.  I am just off and other crew is working (or trying to work).

Can you chip ice from the river during the winter?  Of course take a break first, like the USPS...

I am trying to help a Vet out here... Tell him there are opportunities specifically geared for them!!!

Sheeesh... Right on teef!

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

As the son of a mailman, I thank you for your service.

You’re confusing your mother’s words.... you’re the son of the MILK MAN.... and I’m sure she milked him for every drop....

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Like Cripple Creek said... You'd get Vet pref... Get two pensions...

Go to USAJobs.gov

We (Corps) have a bunch of retired vets... Few of the younger vets are combat vets.

If you want to deploy, you can.  That's the USACE's #1 pressing concern... Bodies needed. We have one lock operator deployed in Iraq now for the past 18 months... You can stand to make huge bucks!  Rough x3s your wage... Well into 6 figures!  If you deploy, you an get your pay, hazard pay, etc... And all your annual leave will accrue... And still get liberty and R&R!  Per diem when on TDY.  Normally, you can carry 240 annual (vacation) hours leave on books every year... But if you deploy, that leave becomes unlimited to carry over when you return to your PDS here stateside.

We got another guy in Puerto Rico now... We need bodies to staff the home front 24/7/365... The OT is piling up...

You should deploy Howard!

We need fine people in Puerto Rico!

We got a guy there now!  Think of it as "Club Med" w/no power!

Please research all this to fact check... I know you’re new around here but EII likes to make unsubstantiated claims and Sweet they are facts.... he’s confused on the definition... a fact is not a thought bouncing around in your head ?.... as long as you understand that Asian Carp can be caught by a baited hook, you’re good with me! But really..... check the “facts”

1 hour ago, Howard said:

Before I met shirl I had some close friends in the South Buffalo area and other routes where I served. Do any of you guys have one exra large middle toe, early male patterned baldness and a prominent nose? 

You never boned anyone on the route... all you did was run from the dogs, and bring a bucket to service the cows....

52 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Crap... The other guys said I was a lock op.  That 70% means diddly! :lol::lol:

No worries, you'll mow, you'll roof, carpentry... But work Saturdays and Sundays... But between breaks...  Yet get to watch bikinis in summer, not like these dolts here on the internet.  For real... :lol:

75% of shifts are outside the 9-5 window... Then it's just locking boats, keeping it ice free for traffic... Etc... 

You were a Storekeeper... Just like the CGX

Telling you... Look into:

USAJobs.gov

That 70% will work in your favor.  Fed jobs were historically created for DAV's.  My father is a DAV... 

I am 90% mentally disabled (according to DCTom... If not 100%)!

:lol:

I don't know if I'd say you're mentally disabled.

Differently abled, sure.  Very differently abled.  Oh, so much differently abled.

western:

Don't listen to jealous Vets begrudge other Vets like yourself... You served, now serve again... The system is made for you.

It's been like this forever... It was created FOR YOU.

There will always get jealous Vets. Been like that throughout our history.  In 1970s it was the guys from the "Big War" bickering with the guys from the Vietnam & Korea eras.  It is what that the service does.  It gets them to fight.  They break a lot of eggs... The system ATTEMPTS to fix them and serve the nation gainfully.

Of course the military uniformed service needs young strong bodies... But youth is fleeting.

I am just trying to help... There is national service out there specifically tailored to your needs!

Others... Create divisiveness.

Good luck!

8 hours ago, westerndecline said:

All my basic bills are paid for I have a little bit of money saved up goalie emergency funds but all I can do now or things to do right now is develop of workout routine which I just started other than that I am extremely extremely bored and ideas

Thank you for your service.   Get a job.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

western:

Don't listen to jealous Vets begrudge other Vets like yourself... You served, now serve again... The system is made for you.

It's been like this forever... It was created FOR YOU.

There will always get jealous Vets. Been like that throughout our history.  In 1970s it was the guys from the "Big War" bickering with the guys from the Vietnam & Korea eras.  It is what that the service does.  It gets them to fight.  They break a lot of eggs... The system ATTEMPTS to fix them and serve the nation gainfully.

Of course the military uniformed service needs young strong bodies... But youth is fleeting.

I am just trying to help... There is national service out there specifically tailored to your needs!

Others... Create divisiveness.

Good luck!

I assume this is all crap you’ve read in a book... because you have ZERO actual first hand knowledge on this subject...

Edited by CountryCletus

10 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I don't know if I'd say you're mentally disabled.

Differently abled, sure.  Very differently abled.  Oh, so much differently abled.

I don't think there's a wrong answer to EII's condition. But the more interesting question is not what is EII's condition but why?  To understand the why you have to know what happened. 

Over the past 6 years, I've been connecting the dots and putting together the whole story.  It starts in '76, when a wide eyed EII first goes to work for the state of Illinois.  He quickly rises through the ranks of the Illinois Department of Natural Resources carving out a nice career for himself.  He was being groomed for one of the top spots in the office.  Then at age 38 he gives it all up and joins the Illinois River Authority.  The elite of the elite of Illinois' river and lakes.  Within 1 year, he's the captain of his own dredger.

In 88' he first notices the Asian carp. His concerns about the carp fall on deaf ears.  His superiors don't want to hear it.  He takes matters into his own hands.  EII fights the carp all over Illinois for 3 long years in a brutal but futile campaign.  In '92, EII takes the fight to the carp.  He goes further down the Illinois river than any man has gone before.  Miles and miles down river, past Peoria.  He reaches Beardstown and keeps going. Uncharted territories.  Its here that his methods become, well...unsound.  in '94 EII releases a report on the state of Illinois' rivers and his recommendation on how to handle the growing carp problem.  Its 123 pages.  It reads "NUKE THEM ALL!" on every page.

EII is recalled to Decatur and stationed to lock 22.  Its a quiet post.  He spends his days posting on TBD and muttering "the horror, the horror".

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, westerndecline said:

All my basic bills are paid for I have a little bit of money saved up goalie emergency funds but all I can do now or things to do right now is develop of workout routine which I just started other than that I am extremely extremely bored and ideas

Drinking and prostitutes of course.

• Like (+1) 1

When EII retires, will he be considered a Veteran?

That leads me to a question that I asked years ago, but was never able to get a decent answer:  Is Barack Obama a Veteran?  He was Commander in Chief (aka HMFIC of the entire Military) for eight years.  To me, that makes him a Veteran.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

When EII retires, will he be considered a Veteran?

That leads me to a question that I asked years ago, but was never able to get a decent answer:  Is Barack Obama a Veteran?  He was Commander in Chief (aka HMFIC of the entire Military) for eight years.  To me, that makes him a Veteran.

No.  Not uniformed.

But many of us serving in Iraq/Afganistan, Middle East...

Still not in uniform.

Look... Coast Guard was always DoT until 911... They have Article 10 know.  What about the old Coasties?

And... I am just trying to seriously help a Vet out here.  It is what the system is designed for.  We are fighting wars now, unlike in my youth 30 years.  A system is place for guys like westerndecline to still serve their nation.

11 minutes ago, CountryCletus said:

Proves my point.... reading pamphlets don’t give you experience....

No.  First hand interactions with dolts like you.  Ryan, you really aren't an azz in person, why the internet muscles?

I am just trying to help this Vet.  Don't be a douche.

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

No.  Not uniformed.

But many of us serving in Iraq/Afganistan, Middle East...

Still not in uniform.

Look... Coast Guard was always DoT until 911... They have Article 10 know.  What about the old Coasties?

And... I am just trying to seriously help a Vet out here.  It is what the system is designed for.  We are fighting wars now, unlike in my youth 30 years.  A system is place for guys like westerndecline to still serve their nation.

I imagine there's lots of lock operators in Iraq and Afghanistan.