2018 Bills draft QB Mason Rudolph - CBS Sports

BigDingus

So according to CBS Sports updated 2018 Mock Draft, they have us taking Oklahmoa State QB Mason Rudolph with our first pick, and Washington DT Vita Vea with the second.

"Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State. Rudolph is a pocket-passer by trade and demonstrated scrambling ability when needed. He has quality touch down the field and is capable of making all the throws, especially the deep out from the far hash. He's also unafraid to pull the trigger on a pass toward a  receiver being tightly covered. In many ways, his game contrasts with Tyrod Taylor's. "

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-bengals-select-qb-baker-mayfield-to-replace-andy-dalton/

Granted this is all super early, but this would be enormously disappointing. They have Josh Rosen & Sam Darnold going 1 & 2 to Cleveland and the Giants respectively, followed by Baker Mayfield to the Bengals at 9 and Lamar Jackson to the Cardinals at 12. The only good thing I could see about this initial draft order is that we'd still have an opportunity to move up with the Colts or 49ers to get Mayfield instead. Also, they have the Broncos targeting a QB in Free Agency, which I could definitely see, so I guess that would nix them from the conversation.

Anyway, would you guys be upset with this or does anyone like it?

I think they are targeting Rudolph too. The kid definitely has lots of talent and is a very good prospect. No-one knows how any of them will be at the next level. Id be happy with him. They need to take a shot at some QB in this draft. I think there are fewer unknowns about Rudolph than many of the other prospects. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, ALF said:

Draft Tek has him the #2 QB behind Darnold.

Walter has him rd 3-4    . 

Waiting for the combine

My problem is he plays at Oklahoma State. We've seen tons of QB's that played in that exact same system and put up the exact same numbers be complete failures in the NFL. He'll probably turn out to be the next Brandon Weeden rather than the next Jared Goff.

41 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

My problem is he plays at Oklahoma State. We've seen tons of QB's that played in that exact same system and put up the exact same numbers be complete failures in the NFL. He'll probably turn out to be the next Brandon Weeden rather than the next Jared Goff.

...yet Mayfield at the cross town rival Oklahoma is at the top of the list?....how come?.....Bradford perhaps but he's another injury away from retiring...Landry Jones?....Paul Thompson?...Rhett Bomar?...Jason White?.......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

So according to CBS Sports updated 2018 Mock Draft, they have us taking Oklahmoa State QB Mason Rudolph with our first pick, and Washington DT Vita Vea with the second.

"Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State. Rudolph is a pocket-passer by trade and demonstrated scrambling ability when needed. He has quality touch down the field and is capable of making all the throws, especially the deep out from the far hash. He's also unafraid to pull the trigger on a pass toward a  receiver being tightly covered. In many ways, his game contrasts with Tyrod Taylor's. "

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-bengals-select-qb-baker-mayfield-to-replace-andy-dalton/

Granted this is all super early, but this would be enormously disappointing. They have Josh Rosen & Sam Darnold going 1 & 2 to Cleveland and the Giants respectively, followed by Baker Mayfield to the Bengals at 9 and Lamar Jackson to the Cardinals at 12. The only good thing I could see about this initial draft order is that we'd still have an opportunity to move up with the Colts or 49ers to get Mayfield instead. Also, they have the Broncos targeting a QB in Free Agency, which I could definitely see, so I guess that would nix them from the conversation.

Anyway, would you guys be upset with this or does anyone like it?

Would like Vita but getting Rudolph would feel like getting  Losman when Eli, Ben and Rivers came out. :(

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

If we can get Marcel Ateman too I’m in!

What position?

35 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...yet Mayfield at the cross town rival Oklahoma is at the top of the list?....how come?.....Bradford perhaps but he's another injury away from retiring...Landry Jones?....Paul Thompson?...Rhett Bomar?...Jason White?.......

The same reason Dashawn Watson is the only good QB from Clemson, it's about the player actually being a good player regardless of the system.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

9 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Would like Vita but getting Rudolph would feel like getting  Losman when Eli, Ben and Rivers came out. :(

What position?

The same reason Dashawn Watson is the only good QB from Clemson, it's about the player actually being a good player regardless of the system.

...thanks...just hear or read names but don't get to see college ball....thus I depend on TBD gang to offer their assessments....:thumbsup:

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....work schedule......run the financial & IT ops for a major multi million dollar Rochester based construction company......my world is 24/7.....wish I did have the time bud...

Me too but DVR my man, I usually watch the games when I get home at 10.

48 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

They do not run the same schemes at all. OSU runs a spread like Texas Tech or Arizona State where not much is required of the QB to make reads. If you want to look at QB's that came from schools running those offenses, check out Kliff Kingsbury, Graham Harrell, Bryce Petty, Johnny Manziel, Geno Smith, Blaine Gabbert, or Weeden. But unlike those guys, Mayfield has far more talent, ability and "intangible" skills that lead to success in the NFL. 

He has the ability, talent, intelligence & athleticism of someone like Pat Mahomes except with the benefit of starting for 4 years & playing in a better offense.

If you want to compare the system, compare it to the one ran by Sam Bradford or Colt McCoy, who actually line up under center on occasion, have to make reads, call audibles, and run a more pro-style offense. Bradford was a great talent, taken number 1 overall for a reason. He just couldn't stay healthy. McCoy was never a huge talent, and didn't have the arm or play-making ability needed to be a good NFL starter. The NFL has incorporated a ton of spread schemes, but developed with NFL defenses in mind, as you now see QB take the large majority of their snaps from shotgun. That doesn't mean it's an OSU, Texas Tech, Mizzou, Arizona State, Hawaii, Washington State, etc. type spread where the QB inserted doesn't even matter & will throw for 4000+ yards easy every season.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Gonna make a bold prediction that Falk goes undrafted 

....wow....why the free fall bud?.....if so, then maybe he is a steal as a UDFA?.....Jesus...imagine if you preserved draft capital, landed Rudolph (not everyone's 1st+ choice) in the mid to late 1st, filled in OL/DL/LB needs and then landed Falk as a UDFA?....pinch me quick..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Just a hunch on my part- but I don’t think scouts will think too highly of him considering he was benched twice, and plays in a gimmick offense against, mostly, weaker competion.  I also don’t see a leader of men with Luke Falk...his body language often appears lethargic and indifferent when he is playing...not impressed at all...but then again, who really knows about these guys...just my two cents.

Add in the wr corps at OSU has a couple of future pros.  Rudolph is my least favorite of the potential first rounders that get talked about.  I'd rather take a chance that Allen will improve his accuracy and that is unlikely.  Mayfield is the best feasible qb we should target, imo, because I don't see any way we can land Rosen or Darnold.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BigDingus said:

The only good thing I could see about this initial draft order is that we'd still have an opportunity to move up with the Colts or 49ers to get Mayfield instead. Also, they have the Broncos targeting a QB in Free Agency, which I could definitely see, so I guess that would nix them from the conversation.

I'm really only a big fan of Rosen.  A little less on Darnold after his down year, but I still think he has a better chance of panning out in the pros than most of the others.  Rudolph would be letdown for me.

49ers, Colts, and Texans are all possible trade partners that may be in the top 10.  Also, I don't think it's a lock that the Giants will take a QB; it may depend on who takes over.  I could see them believing that with a couple 1st and 2nds they could build up the team around Manning and start winning quickly again.  Don't get me wrong, I think they SHOULD take a QB; I just don't think it's set in stone.

Edited by Acantha

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.