Marvin Lewis will leave Bengals after this season

YoloinOhio

14 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Well, he made the playoffs 7 of his 15 seasons which beats our head coaches by seven.  Twice with Palmer and five times with Dalton.   Of course he lost all seven games which is an amazing statistic probability wise.  His defense was pretty good for most of his years coaching.  He'll be a highly sought after defensive coordinator if he wants to go that route.  I doubt he lands a head coaching gig. 

I doub't he wants to go back to be a DC.

15 hours ago, cba fan said:

History update.

Donohoe waited to decide on HC choice until Lewis was available for interview after Ravens Super Bowl.

By that time Donohoe(or meddler Ralph Wilson) had pretty much made up his mind it was going to be GW. So he did a cursory interview with Lewis and choose announced GW as HC. I never heard he met face to face. I thought it was a phone interview. Marvin and agent unhappy and thought they were recipients of racial bias. I remember Marvin vividly talking during ESPN interview about and complaining he did not get a fair shake and that they never discussed areas in Buffalo with nice houses or good schools etc etc.......

The coach whose wife did not want to come to Buffalo was Cowher.

At some point after this mess. NFL changed rule and allowed coaches in playoffs to talk to other teams about coaching vacancies prior to playoff run ending.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/02/04/sports/pro-football-notebook-marvin-lewis-s-agent-accuses-bills-of-bias.html

You guys are leaving out the part where Lewis' wife blocked him from taking the Buffalo job because she didn't want her kids schooled in the Buffalo area.

Also leaving out the part where his franchise QB refused to play with the franchise and demanded a trade.

6 hours ago, CuddyDark said:

You guys are leaving out the part where Lewis' wife blocked him from taking the Buffalo job because she didn't want her kids schooled in the Buffalo area.

Also leaving out the part where his franchise QB refused to play with the franchise and demanded a trade.

That part was left out because it never happened. Lewis was never offered the job so no spouse block possible. I heard rumblings but no proof of reports spouse did not want to come to Buffalo. That was Cowher's wife. The school issue is laughable. Every area has high rated private schools for people with money to spend.  Marvin's wife would not have stopped Lewis from taking the job and Marvin was bitter he was not hired. He would have taken the job based on his response in interviews after and agent corroboration. This was a sensitive racial HC hiring time and he would have been pillared by the African American community if he turned down a HC job. He was taking the job if offered.

Carson Palmer demanding trade out of Cinncy in 2011 has nothing to do with Bills not hiring Lewis in 2001.

Edited by cba fan

What Jason Garrett is to Jerry Jones, Jay Gruden is to Mike Brown and the Bengals.

I think the Bengals will even go so far as trading for him.  

If they get Gruden, I believe Andy Dalton would stick around.  

On 12/17/2017 at 11:08 AM, RoyBatty is alive said:

About time, the epitome of mediocrity.  Why he lasted as long as he did, especially with some of the discipline issues on that time is beyond me.

The Bengals were the worst organization in pro sports before Lewis. He stayed too long but the fact he made that garbage team as successful as they have been is amazing.  They also had terrible luck (Palmer getting knocked out a playoff game and Dalton getting hurt when they looked like the best team in the NFL).

He did a really good job for a lot of years and helped transform that trash organization. I'd welcome him here in a second.

4 hours ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Wondering if Andy Dalton becomes available depending on the new coach. While Andy is no long term answer I believe he's good enough to have while a rookie learns. Put Dalton on the Bills and we would make the playoffs this year. Jmo.

I will go on record to say that I think Dalton would be a kick ass Bridge QB! I would take him over Cousins any day of the week, and considering pay demands, twice on Sunday.