Boat shopping: Advice needed

BringBackFergy

11 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

He can have 11 guests on board with him so who are the the other 7 besides you, the lovely Mrs. Cripple Creek, Me and equally lovely Mrs. Buffalo Bill?

Pool’s a little small, can only fit 1 helicopter, nothing bigger than Bell 429 type as well, only 1 Car, what happens if I need to drive twice in a day somewhere, use the same car...

Fergy, large sailboats have a wheel - which is fine - if you're into that sort of thing.

Smaller sailboats on the other hand have long, sturdy tillers that your first mate can grab by the hand(s) to move the boat and its occupants to and fro as the winds of chance blow through their flowing hair. 

Just a little word of caution. Make sure you perform all the regular maintenance including regular lubrication of all fittings and moving parts. It can prevent unnecessary wear and tear and avoid shameful disappointment at what could be critical times that were really meant for enjoyment.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nanker said:

Fergy, large sailboats have a wheel - which is fine - if you're into that sort of thing.

Smaller sailboats on the other hand have long, sturdy tillers that your first mate can grab by the hand(s) to move the boat and its occupants to and fro as the winds of chance blow through their flowing hair. 

Just a little word of caution. Make sure you perform all the regular maintenance including regular lubrication of all fittings and moving parts. It can prevent unnecessary wear and tear and avoid shameful disappointment at what could be critical times that were really meant for enjoyment.  

What does the OP do if his tiller needs a bit more starch to perform adequately? 

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

We need more pictures with floation devices.    

I could help you... But in this climate I could I gotta keep it clean.  I can't unsee what I see on a daily basis during the summer boating season... Just can't video certain things! ;)

Now I can keep it clean on my end... These guys can help with flotation:

When they are going to help these guys from being dumbasses:

Or these guys...

Is this what you guys are looking for:

Boat advice... Every single kind to take your pick from.  Good up close look at the various types of pleasure boats on the market from The Playpen on Lake Michigan:

Personally, a nice Seaswirl or Boston Whaler... Something you can hose the mess down afterwards:

http://dicksimonyachts.com/just-sold/445-29-seaswirl-striper-2901-walkaround-io-2005-sold.html

x29-seaswirl-striper-2901-walkaround-io-

4 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

What is the largest vessel you've ever passed?

Like Augie said... :P

Serious? Long response. Because there are so many different answers, so many different possible vessel configurations.

Simple answer: 950'x108'.  Stop here if you don't need details.

We only have a 1,000'(l) x 110'(w) x 22'(d) lock chamber.  Which is (old) Panamax length/width BUT NOT PANAMAX DRAFT.  We are only 22' deep and canal project depth is maintained to 9' deep throughout the inland waterways.  We are a shallow draft lock. Air draft, controlling vertical clearance (fixed lowest bridge) to Illinois Waterway is about 19.1' above pool stage @ Lemont, Illinois.

Interesting question you pose. Flotillas act as one vessel.  We are part of inland waterways, overall size is combined vessels (barges) tied together and powered by one (or other/multiple assist) vessel(s).  Largest individual vessel has to be a around 500' by 60' that we ever passed.

Now... With that things change radically.

1,300' by 54' wide has to be largest combined vessels pushed by one boat.  Again, we only have a 1,000' x 110' lock chamber.  So, you are probably wondering how that is done.  That 1,300' tow showing up with 4 300' tanker barges gets rearranged and becomes ~700'x 108' wide.  That 1,300 foot tow is the longest tow that I ever seen showing up at lock and we rearranged (set over).  The longest "straight" lockage with out rearranging is about 800'-900' long by 70' wide... Those are pushing normal/jumbo barges, 195'/200' x 35' (8-pack).  That's a daily occurance, 6-packs.  Again, these dimensions are because they are pushing barges tied together.  The towboat pushing has a retractable pilot house to fit under that 19.1' bridge in Lemont & to slip under other bridges similar in height. That 1,300' includes the length of the towboat pushing the barges. Bigger flotillas need a bigger pusher boat.  Those boats, usually southern boats from The Gulf or Intercoastal have 3,000-5,000 horsepower.  In the case of the 1,300' tow, when it shows up too long at the lock they "set over" two of the barges/pusher boat and lock through 108' wide.  That is the limit beam-width that the 110' wide lock will take, we can accept.

This doesn't happen often.  The bend in the river below the lock and the pleasure boat marinas make pushing long, wide tows difficult.  The federal navigation channel of the canal is 400' wide.  Our average daily tows are from 650' long by 70' wide or 700'-800' long by 54' wide.  They "fleet" or leave the other barges elsewhere and go back and make two, three, etc... trips.

We are the only 1,000' chamber on Illinois Waterway... So we don't need tow haulage (big winches) to pull "cuts" out.  The other 7 locks are 600' long by 110' wide.  When tows show up longer, they lock half of the flotilla through and the cut it pulled out with the tow haulage cable.  They then "turn" the lock back and lock the rest of the barges and pusher boat (towboat).

So in conclusion,  largest vessels:

Combined as one=

Longest set over lockage: ~1,300'

Longest straight lockage:  ~900'

Longest average/daily: ~600-800'

Widest: 108'

Widest average/daily: 35'/54'/70'

Individual vessel, self propelled/powered by one: 

~500'x60'

Again, terminus of Seaway is 1/2 mile away towards Lake Michigan @ Lake Calumet... There is a 30' high bridge controlling height just upstream of lock... Everything gets transferred to and from barges to ships and vice-a-versa. That's the "break-in-bulk" point.  All bridges then to Lake Michigan are high enough to accommodate ships or they are draw/lift/bascule (moveable) bridges.

Hopes this helps.

Smallest vessel is canoe/jetski...:P