Marshall Faulk, 2 others suspended from NFL Network.

jaybee

13 minutes ago, yungmack said:

I'm older than a lot of people around here but I'll still bet there are many who remember that even into the 1960s, a woman couldn't open a bank account without the approval of her father or husband, couldn't have a credit card, couldn't enter into a contract without her husband or father's approval, were openly kept out of many professions quite legally and, when allowed into a profession, were kept in certain non-competitive sub-categories. If they entered the military, they were largely restricted to secretarial or nursing jobs. No way were they going to drive a truck, fly a plane or pull a trigger. And no way were they ever going to get high rank. The same thing was largely true in medicine, the law, university professorships.

I spent a lot of my adult life in entertainment as a writer, producer, manager, etc. There were almost no women among session musicians, TV bands, etc. I never worked with a woman producer in music. There were almost no women in the Writers Guild or the Directors Guild. Of all the music, television and movie execs and agents, if there were women in those positions up to the mid to late 70s, they must have been invisible because I never met one. So when you fear that women are creating an "unfair to men" situation, remember that they weren't the first one's to do it.

Human history has been a long and slow evolutionary social process, usually dictated by necessity and scarcity of resources.  Men came to dominate certain social structures through that natural evolutionary process for the same reasons women came to dominate others, both largely exclusionary, first because size and strength differences in a dangerous primitive world, then had those behaviors reinforced genetically through 200,000 years of selective breeding.

And we aren't all that far out of the mud, and the progress we've made in terms of equal rights is almost entirely the result of economic growth and technological advancement.  The concept of rights themselves has only existed for a flash of light against the entire tapestry of human history.

Men never sought to subjugate women.  It was simply a process that occurred naturally, and we've grown out of as we're still trying to shake that last bit of clay off our feet.

Trying now to erect a system that subjugates men would not be that, however.  It would be a deliberate act which is non-evolutionary and is preventable.

4 minutes ago, T-Bomb said:

Women in the workplace are nothing but trouble.  I work in an engineering office comprised mostly of men, over the last 5 years more women have been introduced into the office.  What was once a great place to work, has kind of turned into a funeral home, it sucks.  It was much better when it was 100% men.  The women can't seem to get along with one another, and all the men are deathly afraid to say the wrong thing.

My job is mentally demanding, and the levity the office lost has hurt the work experience for sure.

My wife is a women in the workplace. She used to work with people who looked down on her for that. Now most of those old boys would love it if she would offer them a job. But that won’t be happening...

Just now, Augie said:

My wife is a women in the workplace. She used to work with people who looked down on her for that. Now most of those old boys would love it if she would offer them a job. But that won’t be happening...

Women in the workplace who think they have power are even worse.

18 minutes ago, Capco said:

Afaik, there is a statute of limitations on sexual harrassment in every state.  They will never see a day in jail.  A civil case is a different matter, but such a thing involves a lot more than "he said, she said" testimonies from the accuser and the accused.  

....a good friend of mine had his wife claim she was molested by a priest in her early years and LONG before those molestations rose to the forefront.....it was dismissed many years ago because of the stale dated nature of the molestation but at the same time a priest could never commit such an act...little did we know...there has to be a statute of limitations but then again, scurrilous lawyers will try to cash in....sadly, it could taint current and legitimate cases that should bear consequences...they ARE out there I'm sure......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

2 minutes ago, T-Bomb said:

It's rare females are ever the boss in my field, but I'll keep that in mind lol.

Our company was recently bought out by a multi national corporation.

The new site Engineering Manager is a 50 year old female.

She is in charge of 60+ Engineers and Technicians.

I've worked for this company for over 30 years and it's my first female manager.

Just saying.

13 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Human history has been a long and slow evolutionary social process, usually dictated by necessity and scarcity of resources.  Men came to dominate certain social structures through that natural evolutionary process for the same reasons women came to dominate others, both largely exclusionary, first because size and strength differences in a dangerous primitive world, then had those behaviors reinforced genetically through 200,000 years of selective breeding.

And we aren't all that far out of the mud, and the progress we've made in terms of equal rights is almost entirely the result of economic growth and technological advancement.  The concept of rights themselves has only existed for a flash of light against the entire tapestry of human history.

Men never sought to subjugate women.  It was simply a process that occurred naturally, and we've grown out of as we're still trying to shake that last bit of clay off our feet.

Trying now to erect a system that subjugates men would not be that, however.  It would be a deliberate act which is non-evolutionary and is preventable.

Ehh. Tough to argue one's an 'evolutionary' act and the other isn't. And nobody's arguing for the subjugation of men.

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Ehh. Tough to argue one's an 'evolutionary' act and the other isn't. And nobody's arguing for the subjugation of men.

Some men are afraid of losing their status as the "superior" sex and dread the thought of a truly equal world.  They equate the loss of their privileges to "subjugation" lol.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Our company was recently bought out by a multi national corporation.

The new site Engineering Manager is a 50 year old female.

She is in charge of 60+ Engineers and Technicians.

I've worked for this company for over 30 years and it's my first female manager.

Just saying.

In my company, the Engineering manager has to have a clue about machine design, so it's doubtful that would ever happen.  If they don't have machine design exp in sales or eng manager, then it's time to look for another job, regardless if it is a man or woman in the position.

IMO, the office sucks with women, it was much better without, and I'm not some 60 year old "good 'ol boy" either.

In my company, the Engineering manager has to have a clue about machine design, so it's doubtful that would ever happen.  If they don't have machine design exp in sales or eng manager, then it's time to look for another job, regardless if it is a man or woman in the position.

IMO, the office sucks with women, it was much better without, and I'm not some 60 year old "good 'ol boy" either.

For over 30 years all 3 manufacturing sites had a Engineering Manager who knew about machine designs.

Our field was/is so specialized we built our own CNC or PLC driven machines.

The new corporation hired the female manager (who knows nothing about this) and 2 managers under her who "take care of those details".

The quote is her words.

Once again.................

6 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

For over 30 years all 3 manufacturing sites had a Engineering Manager who knew about machine designs.

Our field was/is so specialized we built our own CNC or PLC driven machines.

The new corporation hired the female manager (who knows nothing about this) and 2 managers under her who "take care of those details".

The quote is her words.

Once again.................

Ouch...

My first eng job out of University was for a female eng manager, it was a joke, office dynamics sucked, I lasted 6 months before I quit.

If what happened to you happens to me, I'll be quitting lol.  I have about 20 years to go, and I see a clear line of manager succession that looks promising, so we'll see...

I'm not interested in a company that forces office diversity for the sake of political correctness.

7 hours ago, matter2003 said:

True to an extent but I think you fail to realize just how strongly hormones can exert their will over what your "thoughts" are at any given time and to a large extent your logic and reasoning.

You realize that same reasoning can be used to justify all sorts of anti-social behavior, right?

The reason we're supposed to be "homo sapiens" is because we're, well, sapient.  Part of that means choosing which "head" will be in charge of our actions.  Not our desires or our thoughts, our actions.

50 minutes ago, T-Bomb said:

Women in the workplace are nothing but trouble.  I work in an engineering office comprised mostly of men, over the last 5 years more women have been introduced into the office.  What was once a great place to work, has kind of turned into a funeral home, it sucks.  It was much better when it was 100% men.  The women can't seem to get along with one another, and all the men are deathly afraid to say the wrong thing.

My job is mentally demanding, and the levity the office lost has hurt the work experience for sure.

Theeeere ya go.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Ouch...

My first eng job out of University was for a female eng manager, it was a joke, office dynamics sucked, I lasted 6 months before I quit.

If what happened to you happens to me, I'll be quitting lol.  I have about 20 years to go, and I see a clear line of manager succession that looks promising, so we'll see...

I'm not interested in a company that forces office diversity for the sake of political correctness.

She just let another 10 of us from Engineering go/early retirement.  I was one of them this time.

It's the reason I'm on this board more.  I got a great 1 1/5 year paid severance and benefits.

IF/WHEN I go back to work in that field it will be for a smaller company I can tell you that.

Before this NEW company took over we never had even a layoff.

Sorry to the other posters...........I got off on a tangent.

26 minutes ago, T-Bomb said:

Exhibit A of why Affirmative Action still needs to be a Thing.  There are female engineers, y'know?

She just let another 10 of us from Engineering go/early retirement.  I was one of them this time.

It's the reason I'm on this board more.  I got a great 1 1/5 year paid severance and benefits.

IF/WHEN I go back to work in that field it will be for a smaller company I can tell you that.

Sorry your company went down this road... unfortunately it's all too common with big companies taking over small ones.  They buy it for some specific product in its pipeline and gut what made it work to produce that cool product.

Sucks.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Small companies is where it is at.  Mine has been sold a couple of times, getting more corporate each iteration.  Early retirement just may be in my future as well.

Good luck!

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Exhibit A of why Affirmative Action still needs to be a Thing.  There are female engineers, y'know?

I'm sure they do exist, and I'm sure plenty out there are smarter and better than I, but when the issue is forced, that's when it's total BS.  We live in an era where it's predominately forced to satisfy PC requirements.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Sorry your company went down this road... unfortunately it's all too common with big companies taking over small ones.  They buy it for some specific product in its pipeline and gut what made it work to produce that cool product.

Sucks.

1 minute ago, T-Bomb said:

Small companies is where it is at.  Mine has been sold a couple of times, getting more corporate each iteration.  Early retirement just may be in my future as well.

Good luck!

Thanks guys................I had a 33 year great run, no complaints about that.  My long run is rare now a days.

I got a part time work-at-home/travel-a-bit gig I'm hoping for with a contractor I worked with.