Browns Hire John Dorsey as New GM - Mandate is "Find a QB"

Kizer looked good  today.  If I'm the Browns I still draft another QB.  Worst case scenario they are both good.  He was the least prepared QB to play this season. The youngest starter.  I posted many times I wanted Bills to get him at the top of the second round.  He has the size and athleticism to be Aaron Rodgers.  He could have sat all year behind TT and compete3d for the starting job next year.

He has looked awful at times this year but I still think he will be the best QB of the 2017 draft.

That said I didn't think Watson would be as good as he was prior to the injury.

How in the world does he not fire Hue Jackson at the end of the year? 

The COLTS and 49ers have won 3 games--those are bad teams.  Jackson has one win in  2 seasons.  If the Browns just showed up to each game this year with NO HC, they could not have done any worse.  He doesn't have a negative VOR, he has a negative VONR (No Replacement).

Has any coach ever put together back to back seasons like that and kept his job?

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

How in the world does he not fire Hue Jackson at the end of the year? 

The COLTS and 49ers have won 3 games--those are bad teams.  Jackson has one win in  2 seasons.  If the Browns just showed up to each game this year with NO HC, they could not have done any worse.  He doesn't have a negative VOR, he has a negative VONR (No Replacement).

Has any coach ever put together back to back seasons like that and kept his job?

I think some look past the wins/loss record and can see that even Lombardi might struggle to have a better record with the roster they have.

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

I think some look past the wins/loss record and can see that even Lombardi might struggle to have a better record with the roster they have.

Eh... disagree. It’s a good enough roster to win more than 1 game in 2 years. They play a last place schedule. The coaching has been indefensible. 

On 12/10/2017 at 9:55 PM, Dadonkadonk said:

Kizer looked good  today.  If I'm the Browns I still draft another QB.  Worst case scenario they are both good.  He was the least prepared QB to play this season. The youngest starter.  I posted many times I wanted Bills to get him at the top of the second round.  He has the size and athleticism to be Aaron Rodgers.  He could have sat all year behind TT and compete3d for the starting job next year.

He has looked awful at times this year but I still think he will be the best QB of the 2017 draft.

That said I didn't think Watson would be as good as he was prior to the injury.

Agreed with this. I am not in the camp of take a QB at the top of the draft every year. You'll gut the rest of the roster over time doing that. BUT, I see no harm ever in taking a guy in the 1st or 2nd two years in a row. 

Take our situation as an example. Hypothetically, we package our two firsts to move up and take one of the top QB's, but Peterman progresses into the next Jim Kelly. We would all gladly give up 2 firsts and a second for a guy like Jimbo. 

Kizer’s situation is very similar to EJ Manuel’s. Because of the change in GM, I think they will draft a new guy this year. If Sashi had stayed, I believe he would have tried to give him more time and “build around him” because he showed just enough to think he might develop. The truth is, he’s the youngest starting qb in the league and he very well could still develop. He’s shown flashes but is very raw. Hue screwed up by not hiring an OC after pep hamilton left in the offseason, and they screwed up by cutting josh mccown and Gary Barnidge, and signing Crap like Kenny Britt. That’s how you don’t set up your rookie qb for success. I give Sashi credit for upgrading the OL, after seeing 6 different QBs line up for them the year before due to injury.

36 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

What Yolo said.  In today's NFL, no team should have this bad a record.

And remember, Jackson had to have a significant role in creating that roster.  He certainly serially screwed up at QB since he was hired.

What can anyone point to and say "but he's been really been good at _____, so he should get another year"?

It isn’t even just the Browns with Hue. If you go back to his last 5 games of his  HC position with the raiders, he is 2-32. He has some friends in the media, namely Amy trask and mike silver, who push the agenda that he’s some victim of the FO and is really a highly sought-after HC being sabotaged behind the scenes.  Sashi wasn’t qualified to be a GM imo but it’s not entirely his doing that the Browns are sitting at this level of ineptness. Plenty of Hue decisions along the way helped pave that road. I do not believe Dorsey will keep him. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/7/2017 at 9:24 PM, JaCrispy said:

Good hire...I see good things in Cleveland’s future...color me jealous of their situation 

i get this, but we've literally heard this the past few years, and yet the browns are still being the browns.

On 12/8/2017 at 7:31 AM, Commonsense said:

I agree. That moved hurts and it's going to linger. It looks like Hue was able to save face because that was Sashi's screw up. Meanwhile he has won one game in nearly two seasons and has shown that he will fall out of line if he doesn't get his way.

If for whatever reason they trusted Hue that much then make him the GM. What could possibly go wrong? They could then find a better coach!

It was rumored that Hue really like Wentz, but they didn't draft him, which I assume had more to do with Hue not selling it to Sashi better.  

Cleveland is on the cusp of being a good football team.  They just needs a few more pieces on Defense and a legit QB.  They actually have a decent offense now.  I'm actually picking them to upset the Ravens this week.  Call me crazy, but I have them winning.

1 minute ago, CviewBills said:

It was rumored that Hue really like Wentz, but they didn't draft him, which I assume had more to do with Hue not selling it to Sashi better.  

Cleveland is on the cusp of being a good football team.  They just needs a few more pieces on Defense and a legit QB.  They actually have a decent offense now.  I'm actually picking them to upset the Ravens this week.  Call me crazy, but I have them winning.

Goff.

Boy, did that kid dodge a bullet when Hue Jidiot decided to go with RG3's corpse instead.

I like how they pretend they're going to keep Hue around for a long time. No, they absolutely won't.

If he doesn't at least make the team competitive by the end of this year, he'll be out. If whatever QB they draft doesn't light it up, he'll be called a bust & benched.

Cleveland is one of the few teams worse than us for head coaches & QB's. I swear, even if I was a young coach looking for any gig I'd be hesitant to ever take that job... It'd probably be a stain on my career forever.

Edited by BigDingus

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Eh... disagree. It’s a good enough roster to win more than 1 game in 2 years. They play a last place schedule. The coaching has been indefensible. 

I have to agree with that!  If they lose out this year that will be the worst two seasons consecutively EVER!

Worst ever