Eliminating Net Neutrality Rules Will Favor Carriers Over Internet Content Providers

36 minutes ago, Azalin said:

Bill? I don't remember any bill.

I do remember a proclamation of takeover by the former head of the FCC.

I guess I don't remember a bill...but didn't they basically enforce net neutrality by reclassifying ISPs under a couple different acts? 

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I guess I don't remember a bill...but didn't they basically enforce net neutrality by reclassifying ISPs under a couple different acts? 

Yes, because regulating the Internet like a 1930 telecom monopoly makes a lot of sense to an administration that made fun of people who apparently didn't believe in science and progress.

Just now, GG said:

Yes, because regulating the Internet like a 1930 telecom monopoly makes a lot of sense to an administration that made fun of people who apparently didn't believe in science and progress.

I thought that was just a technicality. I mean that's how a lot of new law is made, by referring/classifying really old statutes that have since been expanded and refined to incorporate the changing landscape.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

I thought that was just a technicality. I mean that's how a lot of new law is made, by referring/classifying really old statutes that have since been expanded and refined to incorporate the changing landscape.

Nope, this was not a new law.  The only way that Obama/Wheeler could get away with their gambit was to use the exact terms of the 1930's regulations.

Just now, GG said:

Nope, this was not a new law.  The only way that Obama/Wheeler could get away with their gambit was to use the exact terms of the 1930's regulations.

Was this the ruling?

https://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2015/db0312/FCC-15-24A1.pdf

Granted I only have a cursory understanding of the issue, but I glanced through it and it's very specific in describing prescriptive actions (usually they punt to case-by-case basis but still) for the kinds of issues I assume net neutrality seeks to address...it appears that 'edge providers' like Netflix that send huge amounts of data through ISP channels were straining data capacities? 

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Was this the ruling?

https://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2015/db0312/FCC-15-24A1.pdf

Granted I only have a cursory understanding of the issue, but I glanced through it and it's very specific in describing prescriptive actions (usually they punt to case-by-case basis but still) for the kinds of issues I assume net neutrality seeks to address...it appears that 'edge providers' like Netflix that send huge amounts of data through ISP channels were straining data capacities? 

This is the official ruling in the Fed Register.  But your link also lays out the ridiculous assertion by Netflix & Google.  They are taking a disproportionate share of Internet traffic, but want others to pay for that transit.

Just now, GG said:

This is the official ruling in the Fed Register.  But your link also lays out the ridiculous assertion by Netflix & Google.  They are taking a disproportionate share of Internet traffic, but want others to pay for that transit.

So what did reclassifying ISPs do to address the payment-to-usage problem? And what's the law on who pays for it anyway? Is it just the responsibility of the ISP to keep increasing server capacity (or whatever) or are they allowed to charge Netflix by usage?

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

So what did reclassifying ISPs do to address the payment-to-usage problem? And what's the law on who pays for it anyway? Is it just the responsibility of the ISP to keep increasing server capacity (or whatever) or are they allowed to charge Netflix by usage?

Plenty of discussion on this in the past.  Do a search.

But basically by reclassifying the ISPs as common carriers meant that they had to treat everyone the same and not prioritize services by fee or content.   Sounds great to liberals, but breaks down in practice, because Netflix demands are much greater than Mario's corner pizza shop.  So ISPs must upgrade their networks to transmit Netflix traffic, but can't charge Netflix more money for the transit.  So if the ISPs can't charge Netflix for the usage, guess who gets to pay the bill at the end of the day?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GG said:

Plenty of discussion on this in the past.  Do a search.

But basically by reclassifying the ISPs as common carriers meant that they had to treat everyone the same and not prioritize services by fee or content.   Sounds great to liberals, but breaks down in practice, because Netflix demands are much greater than Mario's corner pizza shop.  So ISPs must upgrade their networks to transmit Netflix traffic, but can't charge Netflix more money for the transit.  So if the ISPs can't charge Netflix for the usage, guess who gets to pay the bill at the end of the day?

Will do, much appreciated!

8 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

You can usually get a good sense of what a Bill's true intent is by its name. Whatever the title of the bill is usually means the opposite: 

The Patriot Act = not at all patriotic. 

Affordable Care Act = not at all affordable

Net Neutrality = not really neutral. 

6 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Tax cut and jobs act = tax cut for the wealthy 

How do you screw that up based on his premise?  All you had to do was say the opposite...

Tax Cuts and Jobs act = increase in taxes and a decline in jobs.  

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

How do you screw that up based on his premise?  All you had to do was say the opposite...

Tax Cuts and Jobs act = increase in taxes and a decline in jobs.  

Same way he screws up everything else.  He's an idiot.