Are we able to get anything for Tyrod?

The Tomcat

On 11/17/2017 at 11:38 AM, Bill Murray said:

Tangential comment but so many Tyrod threads, i figure here as good a place as any...

Tyrod is probably the top back-up QB in the league.  He doesnt make mistakes, he can make plays with his feet, and he has plenty game and situational experience.  For any team making a playoff run that has their QB go down, Tyrod would be extremely desirable given how he manages a game and doesnt turn the ball over.  On a good team, he will keep the game close and give them a chance.  That is worth something.  Not sure if that is worth anything...we prob cant trade him, and no one would pay for his contract at the back-up position, but if you told me he was our backup QB for the next few years at the higher-end of back-up QB pay, i would be very happy with that.  

I disagree about bout him being a good back-up in the league.  We keep hearing that TT needs time and trust to work with his receivers - as a back-up you may come in and not have any time with the people on the field.  

Based upon everything we have seen - he would be a terrible back-up.  If you are not starting him - you are going to get very little out of him.  He also only fits a few specific schemes - so unless you are Houston with Watson or you draft Lamar Jackson - I think TT will not be great coming off the bench.

5 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Gee, sorry.

No I was directing that more toward the OP.

4 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I disagree about bout him being a good back-up in the league.  We keep hearing that TT needs time and trust to work with his receivers - as a back-up you may come in and not have any time with the people on the field.  

Based upon everything we have seen - he would be a terrible back-up.  If you are not starting him - you are going to get very little out of him.  He also only fits a few specific schemes - so unless you are Houston with Watson or you draft Lamar Jackson - I think TT will not be great coming off the bench.

Hmmm...mobile black QB schemes, you mean? 

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

No I was directing that more toward the OP.

Hmmm...mobile black QB schemes, you mean? 

Ok, cool.

7 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

It's not easy for any QB to come off the bench. If TT is a backup, he will have had time to work with his receivers. He's had more success than most backups out there. I think it's a safe bet he could be a valuable backup.

...FWIW, two things stand out in my mind that would negate any trade value for TT.....first Dennison and his rigid game plans (with I believe there were 2 exceptions) has pretty much telegraphed he's given up on TT period...and of course the "switch" is here........secondly, I believe there is a minor issue of a $6 mil roster bonus due March 1.....add those up and I think 31 GM's league wide would wait for his release versus ponying up a pick if interested.....

2 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Ok, cool.

It's not easy for any QB to come off the bench. If TT is a backup, he will have had time to work with his receivers. He's had more success than most backups out there. I think it's a safe bet he could be a valuable backup.

I think his no turnovers approach as a back-up is great, but it seems to take him a couple of weeks to get in sync with a WR.  Matthews come back and he is out of sync - KB comes in and they are not on the same page, but Peterman comes in and seems to be in sync with the WRs from the get go - same with the preseason when TT got hurt.

4 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Racists much?

You said he would he be a "terrible backup" if he had to learn about his receivers on the go, but he would be OK backing up in a scheme created for guys like Watson or Jackson.

Edited by Mr. WEO

5 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

I think his no turnovers approach as a back-up is great, but it seems to take him a couple of weeks to get in sync with a WR.  Matthews come back and he is out of sync - KB comes in and they are not on the same page, but Peterman comes in and seems to be in sync with the WRs from the get go - same with the preseason when TT got hurt.

....are you thinking a possible backup role for TT in 2018 with Buffalo RF?.........with a $6 mil roster bonus plus $10 mil salary, that's a pretty tall tariff to gamble on for a backup if Peterman is your tentative starter along with a 2018 1st round pick in camp....

24 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....are you thinking a possible backup role for TT in 2018 with Buffalo RF?.........with a $6 mil roster bonus plus $10 mil salary, that's a pretty tall tariff to gamble on for a backup if Peterman is your tentative starter along with a 2018 1st round pick in camp....

No - I think he is done in Buffalo - I do not think as a back-up that would be a good fit here with what they want to do.  

He he needs to go someplace that is not running a timing based offense - so that his ability to freelance can work.  

Someplaces that are running more freestyle offenses - Pittsburgh, Seattle, Houston, GB - none are perfect, but because the QBs move in the pocket and keep plays alive - the WRs are used to working themselves open and those spots may work.  

If not he he could be a bridge if you want to draft a similar style guy and build the team to their strengths.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah, with crappy young QBs like Wilson, Newton, Wentz, Prescott, Goff, Carr, Winston, Watson and Marriota....there's nothing to look forward to but famine.

These are no Kellys, Montanas, Marinos, Bradys, or Manning type. No for sure HOF, generational QBs at this point.

38 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You said he would he be a "terrible backup" if he had to learn about his receivers on the go, but he would be OK backing up in a scheme created for guys like Watson or Jackson.

Correct - he would need to be a back-up in a scheme that is not about timing because that is not his strength and he does not seem to get on the same page as his WRs quickly.

If you are running a freelance style of offense where the throwing windows are less important, but the WRs keep moving until they find an open area - he may be a better fit.  I see a team like Pittsburgh in that regards or even Houston and perhaps GB.  Those QBs add lib and buy time and that allows the WRs time to get open - they are not 3 steps and read the defense and make a throw.

The other way to make him successful is to draft a rookie with similar skills and to build the offense around what they do well.  That is where a mobile strong armed guy like Lamar Jackson could be useful.

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

Correct - he would need to be a back-up in a scheme that is not about timing because that is not his strength and he does not seem to get on the same page as his WRs quickly.

If you are running a freelance style of offense where the throwing windows are less important, but the WRs keep moving until they find an open area - he may be a better fit.  I see a team like Pittsburgh in that regards or even Houston and perhaps GB.  Those QBs add lib and buy time and that allows the WRs time to get open - they are not 3 steps and read the defense and make a throw.

The other way to make him successful is to draft a rookie with similar skills and to build the offense around what they do well.  That is where a mobile strong armed guy like Lamar Jackson could be useful.

...but not at his 2018 tariff in a back up role I presume?...6 mil 3/1 roster bonus and 10 mil salary is cost prohibitive............

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...but not at his 2018 tariff in a back up role I presume?...6 mil 3/1 roster bonus and 10 mil salary is cost prohibitive............

Correct - he will be released and free to sign with another team at a more appropriate rate.

Is Hue Jackson still in Cleveland?  Maybe they make a bad trade.  Imo the media over values Taylor.  They look at the box scores and some of the modern qb matrix are pretty favorable to him.  Taylor doesnt reup here last year if his intrest on the open market was high. 

5 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Is Hue Jackson still in Cleveland?  Maybe they make a bad trade.  Imo the media over values Taylor.  They look at the box scores and some of the modern qb matrix are pretty favorable to him.  Taylor doesnt reup here last year if his intrest on the open market was high. 

We’ve addressed that but it isn’t necessarily true. He wanted to be in Buffalo.

In terms of the market it’s the opposite. People in Buffalo don’t watch enough football to understand the landscape. Denver is a disaster at QB. Arizona could need a starter as soon as next year. Cleveland, Jacksonville and the Jets will need a guy. The Giants, Chargers, 49ers, Vikings and Steelers could as well depending on how things shake out. Obviously there is talent in this draft but teams that are “ready to win” may prefer a guy that has won. 

Denver drafted a guy in the 1st that they aren’t comfortable playing yet (despite the injuries). They offered Brock $16M before he left for Houston. Their defense and receivers are aging but still very good. How confident are they that they can get a guy to get them back to the top of a depleted AFC? He makes a ton of sense there.

On November 17, 2017 at 11:27 AM, kdiggz said:

teams know we are going to cut him so they won't be willing to give up much if anything.  maybe a team like Cleveland who knows he wouldn't go there otherwise might give us a 7th just to guarantee his rights.  keep this in mind, the Bills told him after last season that we don't want you back unless you take a big paycut.  he had the opportunity to put feelers out around the league to see if he could get more money elsewhere.  he decided he couldn't and came back for cheap.  that tells you that despite what members of the media want us to think, nobody wants Tyrod Taylor to be their QB

4 pages of commentary and no one responds to this, which sums the whole situation up nicely.

I've mentioned this same thing 2 or 3 times in various Tyrod threads, but it's like this hasn't sunk in yet for many Bills fans.

Tyrod's actual value around the league is much lower than Bills fans perceive it to be.