What's wrong with this team? And how can it be fixed?

LA Grant

The options for fixing the team this season are painfully limited.  I think a lot of the problems are personnel related, and we are largely stuck with the personnel we have at this point in the season.  If McDermott has not done so, he needs to go back to stressing fundamentals like tackling.  The Bills need to try and get their starters all healthy, and keep them that way.  I would like to see Banyard get a little playing time to see what he can do in relief of Shady.  I don't know that starting Peterman would instantly produce wins, but I would give us a lot better idea of how urgent the need is to draft a QB early next April.

The Bills are set up to have a productive draft next year, but they are a pretty old team right now and have a lot of holes they need to fill.  I think they need to get bigger and stronger on the interior of the d-line.  They also need to strengthen the O-line.  They are consistently losing the battle in the trenches.  They need more athleticism from their linebackers.  An elite speed receiver would be nice, and they need to start thinking about Shady's replacement.  And, of course, if they aren't reasonably sure Peterman is their QB of the future, they're going to have to spend one of those high draft picks on a QB.  That's a pretty tall order.  They should have enough cap room to sign some quality free agents, so that will make the job of rebuilding a little easier at least.

It's gotta be some psychological/motivational/emotional/process funk thing.

We were competetive and winning a majority of games for the first 7 weeks. Then the last 2, the wheels fell off.

Same guys. Same guys that WERE stopping the run. Same guys that were scoring 30 points 2 games in a row. 

Hoping Coach McDetmott can get his mojo back.

Wow op. That was alot to read. How long did you take to write it. Sorry but my adhd kicked in and I couldnt get past the second paragraph. That said Im thinking three drafts is about whats needed. To be a legit playoff team. They need an entire oline and an entire dline. A qb. At least one wr. A rb(mccoys gonna be done soon) two linebackers. Probably a corner as well. Not gonna get all that in one offseason. Yep. Three drafts should do it. Id take the qb next year. Start developing him asap. Maybe the streak stops at 20. Not sooner.

Edited by THEHARDTRUTH

6 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Start Peterman? The notion is comical.

Tyrod's 56 yards of passing for the ENTIRE GAME is what is comical.

Peterman exceeding that with a handful of snaps is also comical.

Your consistently wrong takes on football are the most comical of all.

Edited by Fadingpain

How to fix the team? The quickest and fastest way to do that is to draft a franchise QB. Going on 18+ years since we've had one. I think even a teenager or small child could have drafted somebody to build around by now. It's up to Terry Pegula to find a QB and coaching staff to be successful. Don't just rely on willfully ignorant advisors like Russ Brandon, Doug Whaley and now Brandon Beane. It's up to Terry to sit down and watch a **** ton of film with Beane over the next 6 months.

2 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Tyrod's 56 yards of passing for the ENTIRE GAME is what is comical.

Peterman exceeding that with a handful of snaps is also comical.

Your consistently wrong takes on football are the most comical of all.

Ooh! Garbage time.  Good take. Still the backup.  Next fadingstain take please. 

10 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

How to fix the team? The quickest and fastest way to do that is to draft a franchise QB. Going on 18+ years since we've had one. I think even a teenager or small child could have drafted somebody to build around by now. It's up to Terry Pegula to find a QB and coaching staff to be successful. Don't just rely on willfully ignorant advisors like Russ Brandon, Doug Whaley and now Brandon Beane. It's up to Terry to sit down and watch a **** ton of film with Beane over the next 6 months.

Terry does not need to be that involved. He is wise to "know what he doesn't know." His best move is to hire people he trusts, and let them do their job. That's what we're seeing with Beane and McDermott. It takes time to turn a ship around.

17 minutes ago, LA Grant said:

Terry does not need to be that involved. He is wise to "know what he doesn't know." His best move is to hire people he trusts, and let them do their job. That's what we're seeing with Beane and McDermott. It takes time to turn a ship around.

How does he know he is hiring and trusting the right people then? You need an owner who knows X's and O's otherwise he's not going to bring the right people in. 

27 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

How does he know he is hiring and trusting the right people then? You need an owner who knows X's and O's otherwise he's not going to bring the right people in. 

When Beane was hired and Whaley was fired, I thought Terry said I'm the owner.  So there's that.

But how do we know he's trusting the right people?  We don't.  I am certain that someone had his ear this past offseason and he listened to this person.  Polian maybe, but I speculate.

3 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

When Beane was hired and Whaley was fired, I thought Terry said I'm the owner.  So there's that.

But how do we know he's trusting the right people?  We don't.  I am certain that someone had his ear this past offseason and he listened to this person.  Polian maybe, but I speculate.

What does that mean? Of course he's the owner, my major concern with Terry is whether or not he understands football because if he doesn't he is essentially going to hire people with eyes of faith instead of interviewing candidates based off of knowledge and facts. Trusting people at face value is something that should not be done. The less hands on Terry is, the lesser our chances of finding competent coaches and a franchise QB. It's essentially just going to be luck of the draw, kind of like shooting at a target blindfolded.

21 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

What does that mean? Of course he's the owner, my major concern with Terry is whether or not he understands football because if he doesn't he is essentially going to hire people with eyes of faith instead of interviewing candidates based off of knowledge and facts. Trusting people at face value is something that should not be done. The less hands on Terry is, the lesser our chances of finding competent coaches and a franchise QB. It's essentially just going to be luck of the draw, kind of like shooting at a target blindfolded.

The first line of my response was tongue in cheek.  But Terry actually said something to that effect.  Wasn't very comforting at the time.

After the Rex swindle, I think Terry sought out input from an external source.  I suspect that is how we got McDermott and Beane.

Terry and Kim should be hands off, their football IQ appears to be well below that of an average fan.