Tyrod rated #3 QB in league when under pressure

CanadianFan

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

So Tyrod has escapbility.  Why is everyone so fascinated with this?  It has not led to w’s consistently.  It seems to me that many want to believe he is the QB of the future because of all of these meaningless statistics.  At the end of the day the real question is does the guy win?  The answer so far has been: about half of the time.

QB winzzzz. 

Such a faulty statistic. Seems strange when you dismiss other "meaningless statistics". 

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

No one is excusing the line play. They took a dump against the Jets. But a good QB knows that he can't take seven sacks. Especially in an offense that is far from productive. Those sacks are killers. Get the ball out.

Would you rather he throw interceptions? 

4 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

This is a fine case of cherry-picking stats.  Why does "under pressure" matter more than "not under pressure"?  You have to look at Tyrod's overall body of work to fairly evaluate him.  But given that our OL isn't great in passpro, I am glad that Tyrod statistically thrives under pressure.

But look at Brady's numbers under pressure.  Unreal.  

And I don't necessarily disagree with CF.  Dennison might yet prove good for Tyrod - and the offense in general - though there have been some issues with the offense during Rico's first 8 games with the franchise.    Excited to see how the second half of the season unfolds.  

Well his overall numbers are good, too. He's 12 in the NFL in Passer Rating and 0.1 behind Russell Wilson at #11.

I don't think this is about cherry picking, it's just pointing to something tons of people are critical of when it comes to Taylor and providing evidence to the contrary.

Similarly, Taylor has the 7th highest Passer Rating in the NFL on 3rd down and has the 8th highest conversion % on 3rd down passes, despite having the 2nd most 3rd and 8+ yards in the entire NFL, behind only Phillip Rivers.

Is that really cherry-picking?  Or is it just bringing up a flaw that some posters have been driveling on about forever and pointing out that Taylor's doing better in that respect in 2017?

For example, people have been really critical about Taylor throwing the football over the intermediate middle portion of the field.  Well, according to NFL's Next Gen Stats, so far in 2017, Taylor's passes to the INTERMEDIATE THIRD :flirt: of the field look like this:

13/16 (6.8% of his 2017 passes) with 2 TDs and 0 Interceptions.

By comparison, Russell Wilson is 16/25 (8.3% of his 2017 passes) with 2 TDs and 1 Interception.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I'd rather he throw completions or incompletions. 

Actually an interception would've been better than the sack-fumble.

That was bad but to be fair he rarley ever turns the ball over and the whole team played like trash so i wont crucify for that one.

3 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Stop getting sacked.

Seven sacks in one game is absolutely inexcusable.

How about you call the OL on that one...they were getting BLOWN up Thursday.  Not saying he hasn't taken too many sacks before, but Thursday was mostly on the OL.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Latest DYAR QB rankings from Football Outsiders...

1. Tom Brady

2. Alex Smith

3. Drew Brees

4. Carson Wentz

5. Jared Goff

6. Dak Prescott

7. Ben Roethlisberger

8. Derek Carr

9. Case Keenum

10. Matt Ryan

11. Deshaun Watson

12. Matt Stafford

13. Kirk Cousins

14. Philip Rivers

15. Russ Wilson

16. Jameis Winston

17. Aaron Rodgers

18. Blake Bortles

19. Marcus Mariota

20. Tyrod Taylor

21. Carson Palmer

22. Eli Manning

23. Jay Cutler

24. Jacoby Brissett

25. Andy Dalton

26. Cam Newton

27. Brian Hoyer

28. Josh McCown

29. Trevor Siemian

30. CJ Beathard

31. Mike Glennon

32. Joe Flacco

33. Deshone Kizer

4 hours ago, Dorkington said:

Unfortunately he's not good enough to drag along a struggling run game and a mediocre defense. 

Actually you're wrong about this aspect. I think Tyrod CAN help the run game - look at the last two years!!! That's what I referred to in my post - can we get the run schemes from last year into this year's offense?  I know they incorporate some plays, but not enough!

4 minutes ago, Theshallowcross said:

He got hit from behind while scrambling. Literally every QB fumbles that ball 

You guys are prepared with all kinds of excuses for poor Tyrod. :lol:

He spent seven seconds dancing around behind the line of scrimmage. Had a wide open Tolbert for an easy completion if he had better awareness.

15 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Well his overall numbers are good, too. He's 12 in the NFL in Passer Rating and 0.1 behind Russell Wilson at #11.

I don't think this is about cherry picking, it's just pointing to something tons of people are critical of when it comes to Taylor and providing evidence to the contrary.

Similarly, Taylor has the 7th highest Passer Rating in the NFL on 3rd down and has the 8th highest conversion % on 3rd down passes, despite having the 2nd most 3rd and 8+ yards in the entire NFL, behind only Phillip Rivers.

Is that really cherry-picking?  Or is it just bringing up a flaw that some posters have been driveling on about forever and pointing out that Taylor's doing better in that respect in 2017?

For example, people have been really critical about Taylor throwing the football over the intermediate middle portion of the field.  Well, according to NFL's Next Gen Stats, so far in 2017, Taylor's passes to the INTERMEDIATE THIRD :flirt: of the field look like this:

13/16 (6.8% of his 2017 passes) with 2 TDs and 0 Interceptions.

By comparison, Russell Wilson is 16/25 (8.3% of his 2017 passes) with 2 TDs and 1 Interception.

So THIS is what I'm talking about. I was too lazy to go and dig up stats from last two years. I BET you Tyrod's quarterback ratings have improved in every category with the exception of yards.  

And in contract, Siemian without Dennison is now the WORST. So he is something of a savant when it comes to your mere average to mediocre quarterbacks. Yes Dennison might be something of a decent QB whisperer. No where close to Doug Peterson, Sean McVay, Andy Reid. But def. better than McCoy. How IRONIC is that?

Stop getting sacked.

I agree. Yeah a lot had to do with the Oline, but clearly Tyrod holds on to the ball way too long at times instead of throwing it away. Sometimes I'm screaming at the t.v , "get rid of the ball Tyrod"! Hopefully both improve b/c if not I don't see Tyrod making it healthy another 8 games.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

3 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

So Tyrod has escapbility.  Why is everyone so fascinated with this?  It has not led to w’s consistently.  It seems to me that many want to believe he is the QB of the future because of all of these meaningless statistics.  At the end of the day the real question is does the guy win?  The answer so far has been: about half of the time.

Umm  winning qb 

Pressure is on the line. Sacks are more often than not on the quarterback.

That is often true, but his unique skill set is all the stuff he can do,  and has done, after a lot of guys would have bailed. The good and the bad come in the same package. 

5 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Stop getting sacked.

Pro Football Focus judged two of the sacks as Taylor's fault.

Five sacks in one game is also inexcusable.

10 hours ago, Dorkington said:

Unfortunately he's not good enough to drag along a struggling run game and a mediocre defense. 

Or an unproductive passing offense, in which the QB has been a part of the problem. Certainly not the whole problem, but a part of it.

... wait ... a mediocre defense? Jeez. The whole rest of the team has been an awful lot more mediocre than the defense.

Edited by Thurman#1